Turn on thread page Beta

Should I end things with my boyfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    what's the point if you don't make it believable?

ReputationRep:
    Get Over Yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I swear you've already made a troll thread today :hmmm:
    Not funny tbh. Trolls normally make me laugh

ReputationRep:
    Troll.

(Original post by sunpro)
    This is really bothering me, because on the one hand I can see things really lasting with this boyfriend, but on the other hand I'm worrying about the influence that his family has on him.

My boyfriend and I have been together for a couple of months, and yesterday evening I went round his house to meet his parents. It was a very nice house, and his father seemed very gentlemanly. I had a look around the kitchen though, and could see that on the washing line, his mother had hung up her underwear. I don't know about you, but I find it extremely difficult to have respect for a lady who hangs out her knickers for all the neighbours to see. Not only that, but I saw that she also had an ashtray in the kitchen (of all places :rolleyes:).

With some effort, I could see myself getting over these things, but when I told my mum she was very adamant that I should get rid of my boyfriend because he's not being imbued with good manners at home and will inevitably break my heart a few years down the line.

Do you think I should end things?
    wow i really feel it for you
    such a dilemma, you must really love your boyfriend but to have his family be so absolutely disgustingly filthy that even and depths of the sewers have had better days, is just beyond ones ability to think of a solution to your dilemma

i think one healthy piece of advice is to either learn to live like this "chav" family (as one might call them) or you can take a dip back into the sea where plenty of fish are swimming young free and single

good luck with your unique predicament and call the stfugtfo hotline after

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ryan W]Haha, breaking up over some underwear. I've never heard anything like it.

Agree, sounds funny.

And to the thread starter: if you are upset about seing the underwear of your mother in law, then what do you think about girls nowadays who walk around showing their underwears to everybody??!

For me, a girl who proudly shows her (string) underwear is a big b****:cool:

ReputationRep:
    get a life love... youve obviously been wrapped in bubble wrap all your life

go and experience the real world

posts like this get me angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    Personally I feel none of those factors should be a reflection of him, or his family for that matter...
    Judge him on the way he treats you, and maybe also how his father and mother treat each other (social graces and other interactions are actually passed down through genetics)
    And to add to this, whether the mother hangs her nickers out on a line, or they have an ash tray in the kitchen, and the fact that you mentioned you aren't sure if you can respect those in a person... just remember it isn't your boyfriend...

I say stay with him... otherwise if something this small bothers you then it really wouldn't last that long anyway

ReputationRep:
    i dont thinkk you should finish yaaaah boyfriend for that reasonn;
    if yhu love your boyfriendd then you wouldn't finish ovaa underwear and knickers:/

That's just being picky, you won't last in any relationship if tTHAT annoys you

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Omg You do spew some ****.

ReputationRep:
    worst troll since the dawn of time

ReputationRep:
    She's got to put it somewhere! Maybe her dryers broke!
    And its better to use an ashtray than letting it out in the pan of spaghetti bolognese!

This is the mother you are criticising, not him, so dont make him suffer and get offer it...

ReputationRep:
    This is the most stupid I've ever heard, please tell me its a joke... Is your mum not just making a massive generalization? All people whose parents hang their underwear outside and smoke in their own kitchen will inevitably break your heart... good one, I'll bare that in mind. Please stop being so precocious, or yes, I think you should finish it, and let this poor guy go out with someone that deserves him.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    people are dieing of lack of water around the world but what your anoryed about is your bf's mums knickers....

you sound very stuck up! its stuff that wouldnt even cross your mind.... but why does it???? jeez...

ReputationRep:
    not cool

its not his fault there was nickers on the line or an ashtray.....
    it really sounds like you dont diserve him and you will prob break his heart for WHAT underwear is that gune be your answer to him

ReputationRep:
    Nice try.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    end it and call in social services; that family is clearly dangerously dysfunctional!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.