Turn on thread page Beta

horrible experience at GP- RESULTS/now what?! watch

in follow up to my thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1167217 i've had the results back from my blood tests. my blood count, bone profile and thyroid test were all "normal, no action".
    i refuse to accept my crazy periods, thinning hair, fluffy facial hair, sudden acne, constant cold/exhaustion as just "my life", but the thyroid problem suspected doesn't exist! now what?!
    i really don't want to live my life like this as it just makes me feel like crap, so i'm going to register at my uni doctor today ad see if they can help me. i don't want to leave my GP at home, but it's difficult/expensive going bck for appointments.

i still think it's something hormonal and not normal, and i don't think the blood tests looked at progesterone/estrogen etc

alsooo
    i think it's "cystic acne" as it's red lumps that hurt, last weeks and leave red/purple scars. i had a few white heads when i was 14/15 but nothing since, and i'm now 19

ReputationRep:
    Ok and why should we care? If you trust TSR more than your GP, then you have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    So all the tests say there's nothing wrong? You've been diagnosed as perfectly healthy and this is a problem for you?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps visit another GP. Get a second opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Now what? Well, what? What can we do about it? If you're that concerned, get a second opinion or other tests done.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You obviously need some counseling as well if you feel the need to discuss this with the internet population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    alsooo
    i think it's "cystic acne" as it's red lumps that hurt, last weeks and leave red/purple scars. i had a few white heads when i was 14/15 but nothing since, and i'm now 19
    I have this from time to time...I'm almost 22.

You sound like you have a hormone imbalance...you on the pill? The pill regulates the hormones present in your menstrual cycle so may reduce/eliminate some of your symptoms.

If you are unhappy with the results ( you probably want an explanation of why you have the symptoms that you do), then either pester your GP a lil more or consult another practice. My periods were crap and incredibly painful til I consulted a third GP who prescribed better meds....that said I still take strong meds for it.

Your fluffy facial hair has me wondering...is it think downy hair on cheeks etc or full blown man fuzz? Light hair on your skin is normal and it is fine and sort of fluffy (in a sort of way).....this is normal we all have fine hair that grows everywhere except palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

The rest sounds like growing pains tbh, try changing your diet, incorporating more exercise and better cosmetics.

ReputationRep:
    Have they considered PCOS? Maybe for the abnormal periods they can do a vaginal exam, and maybe an ultrasound. Go see another GP, discuss this with them fully- but irregular periods, acne, bad skin, weight changes, facial hair...screams PCOS. However for the periods thing, definately get them to investigate this

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like me - Polycystic Ovaries

ReputationRep:
    Go see another GP if you want - someone younger possibly - your perfectly entitled to another opinion - if they agree they're probably right - if not then luck you.

The person who knows you best is yourself obviously...

(Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I have this from time to time...I'm almost 22.

You sound like you have a hormone imbalance...you on the pill? The pill regulates the hormones present in your menstrual cycle so may reduce/eliminate some of your symptoms.

If you are unhappy with the results ( you probably want an explanation of why you have the symptoms that you do), then either pester your GP a lil more or consult another practice. My periods were crap and incredibly painful til I consulted a third GP who prescribed better meds....that said I still take strong meds for it.

Your fluffy facial hair has me wondering...is it think downy hair on cheeks etc or full blown man fuzz? Light hair on your skin is normal and it is fine and sort of fluffy (in a sort of way).....this is normal we all have fine hair that grows everywhere except palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

The rest sounds like growing pains tbh, try changing your diet, incorporating more exercise and better cosmetics.
    I'm not on the pill, might ask to go on it if it will regulate my periods.
    I had normal fluffy facial hair, but it has got significantly longer, thicker and darker. i look like i have side burns down to my jaw line and a fluffy beard/tasche(like teenage boys...) if i don't bleach/wax. and some very long thick black hairs on//under my chin. noone else in my family has noticable facial hair like this, i started to bleach/wax after people i didn't even know would make comments at college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Have they considered PCOS? Maybe for the abnormal periods they can do a vaginal exam, and maybe an ultrasound. Go see another GP, discuss this with them fully- but irregular periods, acne, bad skin, weight changes, facial hair...screams PCOS. However for the periods thing, definitely get them to investigate this
    (Original post by TotallyAddictedToBass)
    Sounds like me - Polycystic Ovaries
    I was about to post this, but you guys got there first :p:

PCOS has many symptoms that you are describing. It may be worth doing some research and asking your GP about the possibility. Also asking for a gynae referral may be a wise move.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not on the pill, might ask to go on it if it will regulate my periods.
    I had normal fluffy facial hair, but it has got significantly longer, thicker and darker. i look like i have side burns down to my jaw line and a fluffy beard/tasche(like teenage boys...) if i don't bleach/wax. and some very long thick black hairs on//under my chin. noone else in my family has noticable facial hair like this, i started to bleach/wax after people i didn't even know would make comments at college.
    Definitely sounds to me like PCOS - look it up - pill helps to correct hormone balance.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what people on here say, you really can't trust doctors nowdays. It took doctors ages to diagnose my mum with cancer and she had to push them to do tests. She died this year and I think alot more could have been done for her, she had to do much of the research about possible treatment herself as it seemed the doctors just saw her as another patient - I do understand they're overworked. If you're sure there's something wrong then def get a second opinion, it's your right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    I don't care what people on here say, you really can't trust doctors nowdays. It took doctors ages to diagnose my mum with cancer and she had to push them to do tests. She died this year and I think alot more could have been done for her, she had to do much of the research about possible treatment herself as it seemed the doctors just saw her as another patient - I do understand they're overworked. If you're sure there's something wrong then def get a second opinion, it's your right.

This is just awful.... sorry

OP: actually PCOS sounds very fitting to your symptoms...ask your GP and another GP and heck why not another if you have the time...

Why not ask a nurse as they usually know more about the Pill/hormones etc and are generally women..so been through it before :blah:

NO sexism intended.

ReputationRep:
    my immediate thought was PCOS as you've got a lot of the common symptoms, and I know what it's like from experience trying to get a doctor to realise there is something wrong rather than it just being 'growing up'. It took three years of ****** up periods for my dr to do anythign about it. Did they test your homone levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    This is just awful.... sorry

OP: actually PCOS sounds very fitting to your symptoms...ask your GP and another GP and heck why not another if you have the time...

Why not ask a nurse as they usually know more about the Pill/hormones etc and are generally women..so been through it before :blah:

NO sexism intended.
    Really? You not only manage to make sweeping generalisations about the gender of both doctors AND nurses, but then make assumptions about what either profession knows about a particular condition or treatment? No, not offensive at all. :rolleyes: (As a female doctor who knows quite a large amount about contraception, but this is certainly not because I've "been through it before" )

OP, it does sound like it could be PCOS, but then last week everyone was saying it sounded like it could be hypothyroidism (which it did, but unfortunately the blood tests proved us wrong). If you are still not happy, go back to see another GP and ask about PCOS amongst other things. Unless your practice has a very good nurse practitioner, there's not much point going to see them instead, especially if it's only a practice nurse as they can't arrange as many investigations or make the appropriate referrals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Really? You not only manage to make sweeping generalisations about the gender of both doctors AND nurses, but then make assumptions about what either profession knows about a particular condition or treatment? No, not offensive at all. :rolleyes: (As a female doctor who knows quite a large amount about contraception, but this is certainly not because I've "been through it before" )

OP, it does sound like it could be PCOS, but then last week everyone was saying it sounded like it could be hypothyroidism (which it did, but unfortunately the blood tests proved us wrong). If you are still not happy, go back to see another GP and ask about PCOS amongst other things. Unless your practice has a very good nurse practitioner, there's not much point going to see them instead, especially if it's only a practice nurse as they can't arrange as many investigations or make the appropriate referrals.
    Hmm I genuinely didn't mean to be sexist but I respect what you say. I think I suffer from writing before thinking syndrome.

When I went to the GP regarding female contraception and menstrual problems my Doctors fobbed me off to the nurses saying that they did not deal with this and that the nurses would know better than he did. Its not that he didn't understand how the Pill works etc ...he should understand how the drug works and he did think it should have been prescribed. I went to a female GP at the same practice (ok for a different reason, she was the one who had slots free) and spoke to her about it...she explained my situation a little more and seemed more sympathetic somehow. Another GP of mine was helpful too and was male...maybe that one I saw was a jerk, or extra busy I don't know.

I did not mean to make sweeping generalisations but merely state my experiences and hence advice, albeit admittedly quite badly!

My practice may just work in that way...hell I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, sounds like PCOS to me, next time you are on your period or just after it go back you may be slightly anaemic, mention PCOS to your doctor they can organise an ultrasound to diagnose it properly and they can tell you the best course of action usually some form of contraception either the pill that will regulate your periods or the implant which may stop them all together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.