Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I just dropped in at Connaught today and they were kind enough to give me a quick tour . My tour guide mentioned that you weren't allowed to download anything and if you wanted to, you'd need separate mobile internet; that the internet was really just for basic search and email. She didn't refer to legality, but to bandwidth reasons.

This kind of contradicts lots of other threads I've read here where people claim to use torrenting/rapidshare all the time. It's also a ***** if I want to be gaming.

Can anyone help me out here and clarify what she said?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the case, it's definitely not the case at UCL Halls of Residence. It might be different at intercollegiates (even different intercollegiates; I don't know).

But everyone I know who is at a UCL hall has decent internet. I know a guy at International hall whose internet is pathetic though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob3195)
    Hi all

I just dropped in at Connaught today and they were kind enough to give me a quick tour . My tour guide mentioned that you weren't allowed to download anything and if you wanted to, you'd need separate mobile internet; that the internet was really just for basic search and email. She didn't refer to legality, but to bandwidth reasons.

This kind of contradicts lots of other threads I've read here where people claim to use torrenting/rapidshare all the time. It's also a ***** if I want to be gaming.

Can anyone help me out here and clarify what she said?

Thanks.
    I am in Canterbury, one of the intercollegaite halls.

We get 7GB a week of data transfer, which isn't an awful lot if you use streaming media etc. If you go over the limit once, you get your speed limited for a week. If you go over again, you get disconnected for the rest of the term (or so they say).

It is manageable to do iplayer etc on it as long as you monitor how much you use a day (there is a website that shows you).

UCL halls is unlimited as far as I know, as long as you don't go silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MulderMan)
    I am in Canterbury, one of the intercollegaite halls.

We get 7GB a week of data transfer, which isn't an awful lot if you use streaming media etc. If you go over the limit once, you get your speed limited for a week. If you go over again, you get disconnected for the rest of the term (or so they say).
    Yes, it's the same in all the intercollegiate halls.

Some sites are blocked - most notably file sharing sites and sites which the University's network office deem to contain inappropriate content.

YouTube, iPlayer, etc do work but you have to be careful not to go over your 7GB.

The network is provided primarily for academic use (see Schedule 2 of the licence agreement: http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/docume..._agreement.pdf). So it is possible that access to social / entertainment sites could be restricted further in future as I understand the network operates at full capacity for most the evening and they want to try and reduce traffic.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.