Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi im wanting to learn to dj but dont have a clue what type of equipment to buy i have some software on my laptop that lets me dj but that is it.
    Can anyone advise me what to buy im a student so dont have that much money!

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm in a similar position to you.

i've just started lessons at my uni. From what i understand you'll need some decent headphones a mixer and some decks (vinyl or cd's) as a start.

It's all pretty expensive though...

ReputationRep:
    go to pawn shops, people, exactly like you, fancy giving it a go.... buy all the stuff and realise they wont be the next Andy C, Tiesto or whatever overnight and get rid

ReputationRep:
    Um... well.... what do you want to spin? Vinyl, CDs or MP3s.

There is not really a cheap way of doing it, cheapest I guess would be a second hand mixer and pair of CD players off ebay. You'll need 'phones and an amp/speaker package as well.

What software have you got? Best way would be a pair of decks, mixer and timecoded vinyls. Using tracktor, Serato or Virtual DJ. Thats expensive though...

Any of these, but the only ones I know much about are the Numark and Rane (Serato) systems.
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/DVS_...l_Vinyl_System

On top of that you need the hardware - decks, mixer, possibly soundcard, amp and speakers.

ReputationRep:
    im wanting to be a club dj at some point and apprently clubs tend to use cds and that? Just wanting to use cds and maybe vinyl at some point but just cds atm

ReputationRep:
    Club jocks are 10 to a penny. You have to be pretty good before they will look at you.

And not sure where you go out, but most DJs I know use laptops these days, timecoded CDs/Vinyl is the way to be going.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.