The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if all fails take a dump in her bed she should stop then
PeterGriffin
Hi,

I'm 99 percent sure one of my flatmates, lets call her person A, is stealing food. This has been going on since september, and so far about £30 of my stuff has gone :/. My other 4 flatmates have all lost a significant amount of food also, probably about £30 between them. Person A has lost nothing. Another thing is that the food Allways goes missing just after she gets back from a party. Last night she went out, and when i checked the fridge in the morning a meal i had left there had gone :frown:.

Do you think i should confront her? We have already had a flat meeting about this, but nothing changed. I don't want to fall out with her as she is fairly friendly otherwise (although we don't hang out often). A friend suggested i spike some of the food, but i don't want to because then i can't eat it.

Any ideas as to how i can stop this?

I put it in H&R as it's a relationship problem, but feel free to move it elseware if think it appropriate mods.

As others have suggested cctv, simples
Add laxatives on your food
Reply 23
Thanks for all the responces!

Thought about labeling the food but i don't think that will help, it's quite clear whose stuff is whos as we have our own shelf.
CCTV would probably work, i'll look into it. I can't imagine it's going to be cheap however :frown:
I think it's unlikely she's being framed, i don't think any of my other flatmates would do such a thing.
I'd SOOO love to catch her in the act but she comes in really late, ususally when i'm in bed asleep.
Laxatives or a locking box is a good idea. cheers :smile:
Put up missing signs on your fridge door asking for the food to be returned immediately or to get in contact with you if anyone knows of its whereabouts.
PeterGriffin
Thanks for all the responces!

Thought about labeling the food but i don't think that will help, it's quite clear whose stuff is whos as we have our own shelf.
CCTV would probably work, i'll look into it. I can't imagine it's going to be cheap however :frown:
I think it's unlikely she's being framed, i don't think any of my other flatmates would do such a thing.
I'd SOOO love to catch her in the act but she comes in really late, ususally when i'm in bed asleep.
Laxatives or a locking box is a good idea. cheers :smile:

I added a link 2 posts before yours - its £30, between you and the non-stealing flatmates its what £10?
Reply 26
mark milk as "camel milk" or something just as horrible sounding
therefore putting people off from drinking it

similar things can be done with other products

chocolate can be opened and put in a box labelled as "dried turd"

and put cucumbers in clingfilm... and im pretty it can be passed off as a womens se... yeah you know where this is going

i hope you get the idea
Used to happen to me all the time.

Trust me you have these options:

1) deal with it.
2) move
3) put a lock on your cupboard/keep all your stuff in your room
4) attempt to catch them and consequently remove several of their valuable posessions from them =]

<3
Make a burglar alarm for your fridge.
Reply 29
CCTV and POISONING whats wrong with you all, stop complaining and confront her, ******* hell.................
Reply 30
Personally, I agree with having another meeting. I know it didn't work in the past, but it's always worth a try. If she's only doing it late at night, when she has been out, maybe she's drunk and doesn't a)realise who's food it is b)was too drunk to remember the next day. Just make it a general thing, as in I have had food going missing, and I know of at least one other person that has too, can people be a bit more considerate and stick to eating their own food please? So you're not pin-pointing her out.

It sounds stupid, but you could rearrange the fridge, so her shelf is at the top. That way, when she comes in, she will automatically get her food, rather than other peoples.

As mentioned before, invest in a mini fridge (though I know some unis don't allow them) and store all your food in your room.

I also agree with writing a list of your food and sticking it on your door.

If she uses your drinks too, use a pernament marker to indicate how much liquid is left in the bottle everytime you use it. Keep the marker in your room, so she can't use it to confuse you.
Reply 31
Mini fridge it.
Was even worse for me last year, I was waiting for my student loan and I had noone to fall back on as I am a mature student and parents are disabled so on benefits and so was given some food from uni and £40, bought some food like reduced stuff and froze it to last but 3 hours later all my yogurts had vanished, all my cheese, ham, biscuits, everything really and the 2 people I suspected said it was my fault for being greedy and buying a lot and lazy for buying it all at once and not going out to shop daily(that I couldnt afford)

I lost about £45 of food in about 2-3 days and once I treated myself to pizza meal deal as girlfriend who I was in a long distance relationship came down and I wanted to spend time with her so bought 2 pizzas as buy one get one free, had about 2 slices of one pizza, put them in the fridge, an hour later both had gone!
Don't confront her if you've not got SOLID proof it's her. Try food colouring or dye? So when she eats the foot it stains her mouth- and you'll know who it is. I'd also say the laxative idea is a good one, also.
Reply 34
Wait in a cupboard (or suitable watching point) for her to have a little scrounge, then when she rummages inside your fridge, stuff her inside it and shut the door. Might take a bit of forceful squeezing but you will get there in the end.

Latest

Trending

Trending