Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a project on hydrocarbons and well, re-reading my textbook before I start. So far I know that hydrocarbons only consist of Hydrogen and Carbon, but on the same page, it gives the example propanol (CH3CH2CH2OH). Propanol also contains Oxygen but now I'm not sure whether its classed as a hydrocarbon or not. Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Your thoughts?
    Strictly no, but I think they mean organic chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    My projects on Hydrocarbons, and the module I'm reading is on organic chemistry. However this page with propanol is labelled "Basic Concepts and Hydrocarbons".

ReputationRep:
    Hydrocarbons are things which have C-H bonds, if you want to blanket them all under the organic chemistry section.

ReputationRep:
    Propanol is a primary alcohol. It is not a hydrocarbon, as it also contains oxygen as you have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    Propanol is a primary alcohol. It is not a hydrocarbon, as it also contains oxygen as you have said.
    Yah, this. They've just clumped it together because you do alcohols in Organic Chemistry as well. Hydrocarbons only contain hydrogen and carbon.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well I'm not too sure what I should base my project on then. All I can write about is naming hydrocarbons and the main homologous series (alkanes/alkenes). Most of the other stuff is based on non hydrocarbon compounds.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well I'm not too sure what I should base my project on then. All I can write about is naming hydrocarbons and the main homologous series (alkanes/alkenes).
    Maybe you could go into some of the more useful end products (like chlorinated hydrocarbons which are usually referred to as organochlorides), DNALP sites etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well I'm not too sure what I should base my project on then. All I can write about is naming hydrocarbons and the main homologous series (alkanes/alkenes). Most of the other stuff is based on non hydrocarbon compounds.
    What about the different mechanisms of reactions? Is this AS or GCSE?

I'm currently doing a project on hydrocarbons and well, re-reading my textbook before I start. So far I know that hydrocarbons only consist of Hydrogen and Carbon, but on the same page, it gives the example propanol (CH3CH2CH2OH). Propanol also contains Oxygen but now I'm not sure whether its classed as a hydrocarbon or not. Your thoughts?
    It would be classed as having a hydrocarbon chain with an -OH functional group.

ReputationRep:
    All the hydrocarbons I can think of are alkanes, alkenes, arenes...

ReputationRep:
    So even if the compound has a functional group it can still be referred to as a hydrocarbon (as long as everything else are carbons and hydrogens)? This is AS.

ReputationRep:
    Only if that functional group consists of carbon and/or hydrogen - alkenes, alkynes, allenes, arenes etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.