Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have applied for uni this year at nottingham and want to move into a flat rather than halls. I am gonna be moving there with my boyfriend who will be getting a job (hopefully). It will only be a one bedroom flat that we get. I just wondered if anybody knew how much the bills would be and how much of these expenses student loans and grants will cover? im just worried that id move into a flat and go to uni that my boyfriend wont be able to find a job, at least not straight away and that i wont be able to cover the costs of living there. Also, ive seen pages saying that englands student financial people often have delays on issuing payments when term begins and stuff. If i get my application in when i know ive been accepted will this be ok? Argh. im so worried about it all!

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry about it. As a student, you can open a student account which gives you a considerably overdraft which will cover you if, for some reason, your loan is late coming through. If you apply now, it probably shouldn't be, particularly as they are desperate not to repeat the embarassment that happened last year.

For a one-bedroom flat, I can't imagine the bills will be that much. I live in a six-bedroom house and my share for the year is £30 for the internet, £100 for the gas and electricity and £100 for the water. As the size of your accomodation will be smaller your heating bill will be considerably reduced in total but obviously our bill is split six ways, whereas yours would be between the two of you. The figures above are probably a fairly rough guide per person, but I don't know that much about it.

If you are planning on paying for the rent from your loan, and from your boyfriend's potential job the estate agents will most likely want a guarantor as well in case you fail to meet the payments.

Have you thought about issues of personal space in a one bedroom flat? If you're at uni, and have uni work to do at home you might need more space. Also maybe you will have an early lecture one day and your boyfriend might have a late night shift. Living on top of each other might cause arguments so looking for a two-bedroom flat or at least a roomy one-bed might be the best idea.

Clearly you are set on your decision, but living in halls is one of the best experiences a student can have. You make lots of friends and it really is an amazing atmosphere and a once-in-a-lifetime thing and I'm really glad I had that experience. Obviously it might not work for you, so do what you think is best.

Hope this helped :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbekbek)
    Hi!
    I have applied for uni this year at nottingham and want to move into a flat rather than halls. I am gonna be moving there with my boyfriend who will be getting a job (hopefully). It will only be a one bedroom flat that we get. I just wondered if anybody knew how much the bills would be and how much of these expenses student loans and grants will cover? im just worried that id move into a flat and go to uni that my boyfriend wont be able to find a job, at least not straight away and that i wont be able to cover the costs of living there. Also, ive seen pages saying that englands student financial people often have delays on issuing payments when term begins and stuff. If i get my application in when i know ive been accepted will this be ok? Argh. im so worried about it all!
    Living costs.

Rent £x
    Council Tax - Depends on councils policy on one student one not
    Gas/Elec £60 ish if you're good in a 1bed Flat
    Water - Mine is £11.50 a month but different area.
    Phone line £12.50 a month
    Broadband £5-£50 a month depending on what you want.
    Food £x

That's your basic costs lists.

How much your loans/grants will cover is dependent on your personal circumstances.

Age/partner/parental income etc.

There were big delays last year. Make sure you get your applications in early.

In Nottingham for a one bed flat I'd set aside at least £6-800 a month depending on rent level. It would not be possible to rent a flat and pay for it all on a student loan/grant income alone so I reccomend having some cash saved and make sure your fella gets off his arse and gets a job!

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah hopefully we will have saved near enough £1000 up by the time i go. I will definiterly be making sure he gets off his arse and tries lol. I dunno how easy it is to find a job in a city though as i have always lived in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe halls would have been fun. Im quite shy though and dont really think my boyfriend would appreciate it if i just left him to go to uni. we've been together two years with hardly any arguments, as long as the flat has at least a sitting room and a bedroom ill still have some space to do work and stuff, plus if hes at work and im at uni im bound to have days to myself to get stuff like that done.
    I am kind of worried about the social life though, its all very well going and living in a flat with him but im just hoping that i can meet new people and stuff easy enough to make friends and be able to go out with other people as well as him. Im scared :|

if i need to set aside at most 800 a month, how much of my student loans would that cover given that my parents income is in the lowest band?

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah hopefully we will have saved near enough £1000 up by the time i go. I will definiterly be making sure he gets off his arse and tries lol. I dunno how easy it is to find a job in a city though as i have always lived in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe halls would have been fun. Im quite shy though and dont really think my boyfriend would appreciate it if i just left him to go to uni. we've been together two years with hardly any arguments, as long as the flat has at least a sitting room and a bedroom ill still have some space to do work and stuff, plus if hes at work and im at uni im bound to have days to myself to get stuff like that done.
    I am kind of worried about the social life though, its all very well going and living in a flat with him but im just hoping that i can meet new people and stuff easy enough to make friends and be able to go out with other people as well as him. Im scared :|

if i need to set aside at most 800 a month, how much of my student loans would that cover given that my parents income is in the lowest band?
    Well if you get full loan, bursary and grant you'll be looking at £3500 loan, £2906 grant and I'm not sure about the bursary. That depends on what your uni offer but probably about £700 ish.

They are made in 3 payments. I don't know how exactly but logic would dictate it's divided by the number of weeks you study and you receive say, 15 weeks first term, 15 second and 9 third (or however many weeks you have in terms) but it might just be split by three.

Although personally, I suspect it's a mistake to move in with your boyfriend and just the fact you've mentioned it suggests you've considered halls.

This is a time to put yourself first, do what you want and what is best for you. Your boyfriend can always move down next year.

Have you lived with him before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    Well if you get full loan, bursary and grant you'll be looking at £3500 loan, £2906 grant and I'm not sure about the bursary. That depends on what your uni offer but probably about £700 ish.

They are made in 3 payments. I don't know how exactly but logic would dictate it's divided by the number of weeks you study and you receive say, 15 weeks first term, 15 second and 9 third (or however many weeks you have in terms) but it might just be split by three.

Although personally, I suspect it's a mistake to move in with your boyfriend and just the fact you've mentioned it suggests you've considered halls.

This is a time to put yourself first, do what you want and what is best for you. Your boyfriend can always move down next year.

Have you lived with him before?

Is part of the loans you've just written maintenance loan/grant? i read a little about that and that its for living costs but i know it wouldnt cover the entire rent of a flat.

what happens over the summer? im guessing that you wont be getting financial aid during holiday time? i just dunno how it works :s

when do i need to apply for student funding? can you apply before you know if youve been accepted? or do you have to wait?

I have considered halls but like i said im quite shy and dunno how well id fit in. If i did move into halls i know that we would end up splitting up because at the moment we both live in lincolnshire so i wouldnt really see him.
    I havent lived with him before nope, the longest weve spent together without a break was a month he had off work but that was fine, we dont tend to argue really.

ReputationRep:
    Is part of the loans you've just written maintenance loan/grant? i read a little about that and that its for living costs but i know it wouldnt cover the entire rent of a flat. Yes. The maintainance loan is as near to £3500 as makes no difference. This is money that you will pay back after you graduate. The maintainance grant is additional money which you will not have to pay back. The maximum amount is £2,906. You will also be entitled to a bursary from your university if you receive the full maintainance grant which could be anything from £380 ish to £2000. Check with your university website. You will also get tuition fee loans but this never crosses your path. It just means the fees for tuition are paid and added to your student loan when you graduate.

what happens over the summer? im guessing that you wont be getting financial aid during holiday time? i just dunno how it works :s

Payments are split into three at the start of each term. So no, you will not receive any funding over summer but some universities pay their bursary payments (or at least an installment of it) slightly before the end of summer term

when do i need to apply for student funding? can you apply before you know if youve been accepted? or do you have to wait?

You can apply now. Just put in the university you think you'll be attending but you can always changethat at a later date

I have considered halls but like i said im quite shy and dunno how well id fit in. If i did move into halls i know that we would end up splitting up because at the moment we both live in lincolnshire so i wouldnt really see him.
    I havent lived with him before nope, the longest weve spent together without a break was a month he had off work but that was fine, we dont tend to argue really.
    There you go.

Not that I'm trying to break you up, but a friend once said to me "Not arguing with a partner is a confession that they're not worth arguing with".

It's not my business. But if I'm honest I think you really need to consider if moving in with your partner is a good decision. Not arguing isn't a stable basis for moving in together, presumably you're 18 and moving in with a partner, taking on the financial burden and responsibility is a massive change in a relationship status and put you under stressed you've not experienced before, and if you've not lived together before, combining that with the first year of uni could be suicide.

You have to consider what would you do if you split up in your first year? You've signed up for 12 months on everything so it all needs to be paid off, you can't move out.

It seems very risky, and you could be either stuck in a flat with someone you've grown to hate or be left in the lurch paying for a flat on your own.

Just... think about it logically.

ReputationRep:
    I find that arguing with someone all the time makes me just hate them and get angry and want to break up. This is the first time ive been with someone longer then a year and actually got on really well with them so i really dont want to throw it all out the window.

Logically, i know that getting a flat is right for me. Ive spoken to my sister about it who moved into halls 3 times, the first time she was going out with a guy and ended up going to stay in his room at his halls at a different uni in a different town and the other two times just quit. She also made a good point that i actually really want to do well at uni and she said living in halls means that you hardly get any work done. For half an hour there i was doubting whether a flat was right for me but i really know it is and that i can make it work.
    I mean this to carry no offence at all but i know more about my relationship with my boyfriend than you and i am fairly certain i will not grown to hate him

I am actually going to be 20 in april and i dont think i will be carrying much of a financial burden if there is that level of financial help available to me? As long as my boyfriend can get a job within the first month or two things should be ok?

Overall it is doable isnt it? Moving into a flat? Do many university students live in flats? Im sure some must live alone in a flat and manage to cover the bills?

Thankyou for your help though, i have been looking for someone to ask all these questions other than the financial advisers answering maching ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I find that arguing with someone all the time makes me just hate them and get angry and want to break up. This is the first time ive been with someone longer then a year and actually got on really well with them so i really dont want to throw it all out the window.

Logically, i know that getting a flat is right for me. Ive spoken to my sister about it who moved into halls 3 times, the first time she was going out with a guy and ended up going to stay in his room at his halls at a different uni in a different town and the other two times just quit. She also made a good point that i actually really want to do well at uni and she said living in halls means that you hardly get any work done. For half an hour there i was doubting whether a flat was right for me but i really know it is and that i can make it work.
    I mean this to carry no offence at all but i know more about my relationship with my boyfriend than you and i am fairly certain i will not grown to hate him

I am actually going to be 20 in april and i dont think i will be carrying much of a financial burden if there is that level of financial help available to me? As long as my boyfriend can get a job within the first month or two things should be ok?

Overall it is doable isnt it? Moving into a flat? Do many university students live in flats? Im sure some must live alone in a flat and manage to cover the bills?

Thankyou for your help though, i have been looking for someone to ask all these questions other than the financial advisers answering maching ^_^
    Oh don't worry, no offence taken. I just know of far more disaster stories than success stories, I'm just a bitter cynic!

The financial burden I was talking about was if you and your boyfriend don't work out. IE you're tied to it with uni but yes, assuming your boyfriend finds a job you should be fine. Although in that case it's likely student finance would take his income into consideration which might change your student finance circumstances. I'm not sure on the specifics of that though!

And no problem, any other questions feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.

ReputationRep:
    "Although in that case it's likely student finance would take his income into consideration which might change your student finance circumstances. I'm not sure on the specifics of that though!"

Oh crapp. lol
    well im gonna apply for it hopefully today then and see how it goes.
    Do you reckon its going to be a challenge for him to find a job? Hes been working at the same place ( a laundy factory place) for just over 2 years or something but he doesnt really have any qualifications.
    I just ask because ive been looking for a job for about 4 months now and have been unsuccessful so far... probably due to my location. But as i mentioned earlier, i have never even lived in a village or town so have no idea how easy or hard it is to find jobs in cities. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Nottingham and moved to Birmingham for University. My boyfriend moved to Brum with me (we'd been going out 9 months at the time) and we got a one bed flat for my first year and the year after we bought a 2 bed brand new shared ownership flat (ie we pay rent on half the value and have a mortgage for the other half). My boyfriend does have a job although it's only a modest wage.

We just about manage (although I do have a car and sky tv etc) but it's nothing that we can't manage between us with his wage, my loans and part time job.

As for the student loans taking his income into account - they won't, I've asked. Unless you've supported yourself for 3 years before starting university and had no contact whatsoever with your parents for I think the same amount of time then it is your parents' income they take into account.

If you want to go for it then do, but make sure (even if it's in your own head) that you have a plan b just incase things don't work out for the two of you. I was sceptical about it at first but in hindsight I'm pretty sure I would have hated living in halls if I'd done so and I love having my own space and flat to go back to at night.

As long as your boyfriend can find a job in a couple of months (finding one in a city should, in theory, be easier than in the countryside as there will be more opportunities)... just apply for everything he can and hopefully you'll find something.

As I've been in basically the same position then feel free to ask any questions you have also as I said above I'm from Nottingham so if you have any questions about the place etc then again I might be of some help

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.