Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I do M2 or S1 for my maths A level watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm in year 13 doing my maths A level. Last year I did C1, C2 and M1. This year I am meant to be doing M2.

However when we started M2 last year I found it incredibly hard, (I also found M1 incredibly hard)

I have the option to enter myself for the S1 exam instead, and I have been doing some self study on it and it really doesn't seem that bad. However if I do S1 I will have to do it on my own, no lessons, but I can ask the maths teachers questions and my friends who chose statistics

So, just wondering what everyone thinks. What are the exams really like? Any personal stories anyone can share?

options,

1. Plough through with the dreaded M2 :afraid:

2. Do S1 through self study.:dontknow:

Thanks guys, any advice on what I should do would be so helpful.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    S1 is way easier.

If you found M1 hard, outlook isn't good for M2.

ReputationRep:
    S1 should be pretty quick and easy to self-study. Do that.

ReputationRep:
    i would do S1, its much easier than M2, I self taught myself most of S1 and it wasn't too bad. i much prefer mechanics and if you asked me this last year i would've said M2 hands down but having done both i would say S1, its much easier and you'd probably get a better grade in it.
    go for S1

ReputationRep:
    Do M2. Then if you do really badly and bring the average down my grade will look better by comparison.

No but on a serious note, if you found M1 incredibly difficult then M2 is gonna be twice as difficult. Do S1 if you want a decent grade without totally busting a gut.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is basically stats gcse. Id definitely go for it if I had the choice

ReputationRep:
    Well actually it depends on wat your planning to do. if you decide to go into something like medecine S1 would be ideal. obviously if its something more inclined towards fields like engineering well then i would suggest you do M2.

But yea i agree with everyone above. S1 is much easier. A friend of mine was in the same position as you and she ended up doing S1. She taught herself and aced the exam.

Gd luk nyways
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd reccomend doing S1, M2 is generally considered to be one of the more difficult modules, and S1 one of the easiest, even if you self-teach S1, which should be fairly easy to do, you're likely to do better than if you did M2 if you're struggling with it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    S1 is a doddle - I did it in January after about 8 hours of lessons, so I'd imagine it would be very straightforward to self teach.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys,

I think I'm pretty set on doing S1

Now to tell my teacher

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting another school which sits S1. ask i you can bum in.

We do S1 and M1 as, the theory is, the first mosules are easiest. Also, it's more fair towards people who hate stats/mech.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics is awesome, and stats is crap, don't you have to option of doing decision too?

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly like Mechanics either. Shame I don't have a choice.
    Why don't you do both and see which one you will get a higher score in?

the people who make M2 syllabus and the papers like to eat little children for lunch, but since thats illegal they've released their anger into textbooks and exam papers... we feel the effects

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.