Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I need some advice please. I am an employed solicitor presently and I have a law degree with honours. I wanted to do law and so I took a law degree. Now I want to teach music. I have been in touch with the TDA but it seems like I am going to have to start from scratch.

My only music knowledge is ABRSM grades 1, 2 and 3 in music theory and in piano and grade 2 in flute. I still play the piano and am studying music theory grade 4.

50% of my degree has to be music based but it isn't so does this mean I have to do a music degree now?

I wanted to know if there is a conversion course or something? If you have any degree other than law and want to have a career in law, you can do the Common Professional Exam but I don't see anything similar for converting other degrees into something else, in my case, law into music.

Even to do a music degree, I expect I will have to have A level music and/or Grade 8 in an instrument.

I am in my late 30s - I'm already thinking this is going to be a long journey and so many people have said law is a good degree to get under your belt as it is versatile - rubbish!

Any advice please? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Troooooollllllllllllllllllllll

ReputationRep:
    Go do whatever you feel. I am also feeling that way now. I am a lawyer and currently taking my Ll.M. But sometimes I feel that the study of law is too serious and requires much mental thinking that I want to do simpler things that I enjoy.

Of course my law degree has given me many opportunities in life but I feel that I want to try other things too. For the last nine years I have succeeded in obtaining my law degree proper, passing the bar, and working. But now, I'm thinking, after my Ll.M., I also want to try re-discovering my other interests.

ReputationRep:
    Troooooollllllllllllllllllllll
    Why is this necessarily a troll? Sounds like he is asking advice on becoming a music teacher? Although not sure I can really help if you are... I suspect you would have to have a high level of music qualifications unfortunately...

ReputationRep:
    Think you need such high level of music as you maybe required to teach to that level (ie Grade 8=A level).

How about PGCE primary....you would need to show Law is relevant to a Nat Cur subject, but then once qualified teach music!?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.