Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had the vaccine, I feel that it's better to have extra protection along with the smear tests (which I will definately be getting). I just hope people don't think that smear tests will become unecessary because they've had the jab.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, the vaccine the government's offering doesn't protect against genital warts - there are something like 30 strains of HPV, only some of which are covered by the vaccine. They should have a genital wart vaccine though... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    i was offered it, but chose not to have it.

at the time, i was put off by the fact that it was a very new vaccine and there was very little research evidence for it's effectiveness and long-term consequences
    Source?

and also because i thought that not being promiscuous was probably the best way to protect against cervical cancer.
    Why did you think that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm *just* 18, and I'm still waiting to be offered it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Source?
    i'm not particularly interested in having a debate over my decision on the internet and therefore am not going to bother googling away for a source. My gut feeling due to it being brand new when i was offered it was 'no' and there was a vast amount of media speculation at the time - whether this had any factual basis is irrelevant really; i made my decision because of how i felt.

Why did you think that?
    because if i don't sleep around then it's pretty impossible for me to come into contact with HPV in the first place? being in a very long-term relationship and already using other methods of contraception meant i simply didn't feel the need.

as i said, it's a personal choice. it may well be very effective and have no long-term side effects, but i chose not to have it because that's how i felt at the time.

ReputationRep:

because if i don't sleep around then it's pretty impossible for me to come into contact with HPV in the first place? being in a very long-term relationship and already using other methods of contraception meant i simply didn't feel the need.
    Nearly all sexually active people get HPV at some point in their life, I'm afraid...

ReputationRep:
    i was offered but refused
    cos i couldnt be bothered and partly because i thought if im meant to die having cervical cancer then i'll die having cervical cancer.
    i'm gonna die either way
    so let another girl have mine
    but my mum and friends are kinda angry i didnt have it done lol and i think im being forced to take one, someday

ReputationRep:
    i'm not particularly interested in having a debate over my decision on the internet and therefore am not going to bother googling away for a source. My gut feeling due to it being brand new when i was offered it was 'no' and there was a vast amount of media speculation at the time - whether this had any factual basis is irrelevant really; i made my decision because of how i felt.
    Whatever, as long as you realise that isn't at all rational or scientific.

It's not impossible at all. HPV is really common and isn't prevented that well by condoms. All you'd need to do was sleep with someone who'd slept with someone else once in your entire life.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the first one and was meant to get the second a few months ago :s
    Can I still get it? How effective is the first one without the second and third?

ReputationRep:
    I never had it done. I don't really care, to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    i was going to get it but my nhs trust ****** up, they put down two dates for the jab in watford but in fact it was only on one day. when i got there like 50 people were waiting around for the place to open, and we all got shooed away. who knows how many they shooed away afterwards. i'm pissed off about it, i tried to get it from my doctors and from the gum clinic but they just kind of fobbed me off, now i'm too old.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever, as long as you realise that isn't at all rational or scientific.
    Yes, I do.

It's not impossible at all. HPV is really common and isn't prevented that well by condoms. All you'd need to do was sleep with someone who'd slept with someone else once in your entire life.
    Well clearly, but it is impossible when you take two people who were both previously virgins and have only ever been in a sexual relationship with each other for four years. In any other situation then I'd quite agree, but that was my reasoning at the time.

Just out of interest, why is my reasoning of such importance to you? I never argued against the vaccine; I simply stated that it wasn't for me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    I've had the first one and was meant to get the second a few months ago :s
    Can I still get it? How effective is the first one without the second and third?
    I'd be interested to know this.

I've had my first jab, and then my second jab ages ago last year - can I still book for my third vaccine and not have to take the whole set again?

ReputationRep:
    So far I've had the first two, and am putting off having the third . I'm over 18 now though, so don't know if I'll get it for free. Ah well. It's worth paying for really!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie)
    Just out of interest, anyone not had it, and why?

And if you're a guy, I'm not surprised you haven't had it. :p:
    Ive had it,

But im a male. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Well clearly, but it is impossible when you take two people who were both previously virgins and have only ever been in a sexual relationship with each other for four years. In any other situation then I'd quite agree, but that was my reasoning at the time.

Just out of interest, why is my reasoning of such importance to you? I never argued against the vaccine; I simply stated that it wasn't for me. :rolleyes:
    But you don't know whether that'll be your situation for you whole life, it probably won't.

I care because you're spreading false/unsourced information about the vaccine being untested or "too new" or whatever which as far as I can tell has spread through word of mouth - everyone has heard it from someone else - which you're obviously contributing to by posting it for people to read. I also care whether people get it or not for the same reason I care whether enough people get any vaccine, because if you refuse to be vaccinated you allow yourself to be infected and to spread it and keep it in the population. I also care because there are people reading this, and it's important to me that they see these things corrected and don't just get misinformation and hearsay.

Not that I'd force anyone to get it, I just wish people didn't decide against it for such irrational reasons.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I had it but personally think it could have been a waste of time considering I'd already had sex (ie may already have contracted the strain of HPV that causes cervical cancer and the like)

Nobody I know had any side effects or was paralysed by it either so those saying it is unsafe are just being paranoid IMO... media doesn't really help. If you have the chance to get it you may as well.

ReputationRep:
    But you don't know whether that'll be your situation for you whole life, it probably won't.

I care because you're spreading false/unsourced information about the vaccine being untested or "too new" or whatever which as far as I can tell has spread through word of mouth - everyone has heard it from someone else - which you're obviously contributing to by posting it for people to read. I also care whether people get it or not for the same reason I care whether enough people get any vaccine, because if you refuse to be vaccinated you allow yourself to be infected and to spread it and keep it in the population. I also care because there are people reading this, and it's important to me that they see these things corrected and don't just get misinformation and hearsay.

Not that I'd force anyone to get it, I just wish people didn't decide against it for such irrational reasons.
    Okay, I understand your point of view but I did say from the very beginning that it was my opinion and not factually based. I appreciate that you only want the best for people, but please don't accuse me of spreading 'hearsay' because that was never my intention - I referred to it as irrelevant media speculation for a reason. :yep:

You're right that it won't be my situation for my entire life, but I made the decision two (?) years ago now - it's done and dusted. Maybe it was silly, but it's done now. The OP simply asked why those who haven't had it didn't, and so I answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    i was going to get it but my nhs trust ****** up, they put down two dates for the jab in watford but in fact it was only on one day. when i got there like 50 people were waiting around for the place to open, and we all got shooed away. who knows how many they shooed away afterwards. i'm pissed off about it, i tried to get it from my doctors and from the gum clinic but they just kind of fobbed me off, now i'm too old.
    You won't be too old, it was offered to people with specific birthdays (who were 17 and 18 at the start of the "catch-up" programme). If they're still doing it you should still be eligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Oh dear lord it's thalidomide. "Flid" is an offensive slur used against them!
    Oops...knew I probs shoulda googled tht

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.