Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me.
    I should really but when we were offered it at school there was loades of stories going around about death and stuff. =/
    ad the fact that I wouldn't be able to use both arms for a few days (hemiplegia in one side, my muscles teanse up when a strager touches my right arm to the extent that they might not not be able to administer the jab.) scares me.

ReputationRep:
    How many people in the UK experienced serious side effects (like temporary paralysis) to this? a dozen?
    How many die each year from cervical cancer?

Just looked it up myself - in 2007 there were 941 deaths from cervical cancer in the UK

There are no significant numbers of serious adverse reactions directly attributable to the vaccine: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/PrintPreview/...ResultCount=10

So yeah, it's not dangerous. Cancer's still worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    You won't be too old, it was offered to people with specific birthdays (who were 17 and 18 at the start of the "catch-up" programme). If they're still doing it you should still be eligible.
    hell
    seriously?
    thanks! i'll make an appt this morning

ReputationRep:
    Well this brings the whole debate into play doesnt it...I.e. whether the NHS should a) vaccinate everyone, b) screen everyone with vaccination or c) do both (as they currently do). Theoretically if we could vaccinate everyone, there would be no need for screening, which would save the NHS a lot of money and nurses/gynaecologists a lot of time.

But the problem lies in the fact that not everyone will get vaccinated for various reasons. So we use both. What I'm trying to say is, don't worry too much if you're aged 19 and are too old to enter the catch-up programme for vaccination, as at the age of 25 you'll be invited to a routine screen. (I'd still advise ideally getting vaccinated at any cost though!)

Also to the guy who said about how the cervical cancer vaccine protects against genital warts...that's only true in the USA where they use the quadrivalent vaccine incorporating HPV types 6 and 11. Here, we only use Cervarix, which protects against types 16 and 18 implicated in cervical cancer and not genital warts. But good knowledge all the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    I haven't had it, because you had to use the phone to call to get an appointment to get jabbed, and I don't like using phones. I'm not much worried about dying, either.
    Lower your salt intake.

ReputationRep:
    i know the qstn says who hasnt got it done, but i did and my goddddddddd did it f**king hurttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tt!! :'(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.