Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and I think I should get it, I definately want it, but i've been told nothing shall I just make an appointment at my hospital or something?

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 out of 3 because I was absent both times the third one was done at school.

ReputationRep:
    I've had all 3. I was actually about 6 months over the age limit, I think, but they gave it to me because my dad insisted because my mums had cervical cancer twice.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't drive after the first one due to my arm being rather sore. When it came around to the second one, my wonderful school didn't bother informing anyone until the day so I opted not to have it there rather than be stuck with no way of getting home. I talked to the doctor about having it in my surgery and they said they'd get back but didn't. This thread actually reminded me that I should chase them up about it...

I have my doubts about how useful they are however. Especially for those already sexually active. Can't say I'm panicking about not having it.

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 and wasn't offered it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too chicken to get it. Plus it doesn't actually protect against cervical cancer - just the virus that can cause it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't, because I didn't want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    A cervix? I don't think so.
    They do contribute to spreading around HPV, though...

(Original post by whisperings)
    I'm too chicken to get it. Plus it doesn't actually protect against cervical cancer - just the virus that can cause it.
    And by extension ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    Yeah but the virus is implicated in most cases of cervical cancer.

ReputationRep:
    I was offered it through my GP as I was still 17 at the time, but didn't have it. I was really ill at the time, I think I'd just left hospital a couple of weeks prior to getting a letter saying I was eligible. I just didn't need more appointments piling up on top of me to worry about. To be honest I'm of the mindset that the vaccine isn't particularly useful - I'd rather keep on top of screening and get anything that was wrong detected early.

My Dad seemed really against the vaccine aswell for reasons we haven't discussed, he told my sister not to get it either and she's 16.

ReputationRep:
    Nope because I'm 19 so not allowed it.

I was 18 when it was offered to me, but I didn't want it. And I still don't want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    When my younger sister was in hospital, i met 4 girls who were pretty much paralysed from the jab.
    There were other girls there as well with not quite as serious side effects, but they still had to be put in hospital..

So my mum wouldn't let me or my sister have it.
    Although even if my mum did let me, i have a serious phobia of needles, so wouldn't have had it anyway.
    There were some fears over testing - chiefly because the sample size in testing was something like 5000-10000, and it's being rolled out in the millions of doses, so it's quite likely there'll be side effects which weren't picked up on in the initial studies.

(Original post by JayEm)
    The HPV vaccine protects against genital warts......
    Hence why I'd actually quite like it as a guy... since HPV can be passed on even with a condom and I think it's no the most common STD?

(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I'm supposed to be in the catch up thing but I don't think I'll get it done, me and needles are an awful mix
    Same here, but that's a tremendously feeble excuse.

(Original post by Æbbie)
    I have my doubts about how useful they are however. Especially for those already sexually active. Can't say I'm panicking about not having it.
    Unless you already have HPV, it's still perfectly effective. The whole age limit of 18 was concocted to save the NHS money.

If the vaccine was given out across a broader age range, to men and women, and targeted all four strains of HPV (like some available vaccines do) rather than just two, it would do a huge amount to stop the spread of the disease. But that won't happen because the NHS is too busy spending its money on over-paying GPs and management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    I haven't had it, because I'm 19, and therefore just missed the vaccinations.
    You can still get it in France. For free.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't had it. I was too old when they offered it to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    You can still get it in France. For free.
    Right. I'll remember that when I'm dying of cervical cancer, then. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I think the people who have turned it down are incredibly stupid to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    Right. I'll remember that when I'm dying of cervical cancer, then. :sad:
    Just get a train ticket to Paris, have a nice weekend, get your jab and do it twice again after that? I don't want you to die :emo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wasn't given the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Just get a train ticket to Paris, have a nice weekend, get your jab and do it twice again after that? I don't want you to die :emo:
    Unfortunately, isn't it supposed to be largely ineffective once you've done the dirty with someone?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.