Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are people not wanting it??? Free vaccines! People in third world countries would kill for free vaccines. AND it's your social duty to not unnecessarily spread things which can be vaccinated for.

(Original post by Kater Murr)
    Unfortunately, isn't it supposed to be largely ineffective once you've done the dirty with someone?
    No, it's just that it's better to give it before someone's started having sex because then there's almost no chance they're already carrying the virus. Having had sex doesn't mean you have it.

ReputationRep:
    Too old, never offered it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it, and I don't even know what the cut off age is to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't have it yet (no real point for now) but I probably will before I go off to uni (dad is pushy about it and it's probably better to have it).

ReputationRep:
    I havent had it, it'd rather wait until they find side effects of the jab, fix it and have to pay for it - there have been stories of girls getting sick and the 13 yar old died rigth before I was set to get mine. Warranted she was sick anyway, but, didnt want to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    I chose not to get it done, there was **** loads of research against it in the US. I dunno, sounds like a load of **** to me - would've had it when I was 12 but no point at 18 xx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't cos I wasn't in school on the day they did it...think I'll be going to the doctors soon to sort it

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it yet, I probably should. I'm not scared of needles but the stories I keep hearing about dramatic side effects like women being paralysed is really putting me off :confused:

So not really sure what to do at the moment! :/

Edit: I also never had my TB jab, I was ill on the day so the nurse sent me home, but I've heard they stop doing it know :dontknow: ah well!

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm too old.

ReputationRep:
    It wont be available where I am until march. One week after I turn 18, meaning Im not allowed it even though its been available elsewhere since I turned 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimberleyJane)
    Edit: I also never had my TB jab, I was ill on the day so the nurse sent me home, but I've heard they stop doing it know :dontknow: ah well!
    I got the TB jab but they stopped doing it the year after because apparently its ineffective now. So I got the scar and terror for nothing

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have it because it doesn't protect against all strains of HPV that can cause cervical cancer, and we don't really know much about any long term health effects it might have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaded22)
    I got the TB jab but they stopped doing it the year after because apparently its ineffective now. So I got the scar and terror for nothing
    That sucks! When my mum had it something happened to it, but basically she has a huge scar on her arm, like 3x as big as normal so I was mega nervous for that, and to get that scar, but now it's stopped!
    But I heard that TB was on the rise again :confused: Because of so many people coming from different countries, which wouldn't make sense! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Due to medical history.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I haven't as I'm no longer in my teens

I feel deprived, dammit! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I think the people who have turned it down are incredibly stupid to do so.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to know, that since I am over 18 but under 25, I am not "eligible" for cancer.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. Because I'm 25 and already doomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Why?
    Because HPV can cause cancer in both men and women, so by refusing to get a simple, and even free jab, you're putting your own life and the lives of others at risk. Some strains also cause genital warts, which - and this is just me personally - is on my list of things that I really don't want from life.

HPV prevalence by age

14 to 19 24.5%
    20 to 24 44.8%
    25 to 29 27.4%
    30 to 39 27.5%
    40 to 49 25.2%
    50 to 59 19.6%
    14 to 59 26.8%

It's quite common, but if you haven't had multiple partners there's still a decent chance of you being clean, and even if you do have one strain the vaccine will protect you from some others.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't :ninja:

It's too new for me to trust it, I don't like being a guinea pig.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.