Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyyyyyyy)
    Nope. I was just outside the catchment area for the jab. Plus, if you've had sex then it's useless to get it...
    Just because you've had sex, it doesn't mean you've got HPV 16 and/or 18 yet.

If you've been sleeping with older guys or guys who've been sleeping with older women or basically just slept around a lot then the risk is higher.

But even then, you might not have been exposed to HPV or only HPV 16 for example. That way the vaccine would still protect you against HPV 18. (And there might still be some protection against HPV 16 even if you already had it, they're not sure yet.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stella476)
    I haven't. There have been a lot of bad reactions in girls in my state, so I haven't yet, although there is family history. I don't really know what I am going to do about it.
    If the HPV in your family is anything to do with family history, I'd be worried about what goes on in your family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    There were some fears over testing - chiefly because the sample size in testing was something like 5000-10000, and it's being rolled out in the millions of doses, so it's quite likely there'll be side effects which weren't picked up on in the initial studies.

Hence why I'd actually quite like it as a guy... since HPV can be passed on even with a condom and I think it's no the most common STD?

Same here, but that's a tremendously feeble excuse.

Unless you already have HPV, it's still perfectly effective. The whole age limit of 18 was concocted to save the NHS money.

If the vaccine was given out across a broader age range, to men and women, and targeted all four strains of HPV (like some available vaccines do) rather than just two, it would do a huge amount to stop the spread of the disease. But that won't happen because the NHS is too busy spending its money on over-paying GPs and management.
    Bollucks. You clearly have no idea how the NHS works.

Yes, there are problems with funding but it has nothing to do with over-paying GPs. Sod off back to reading about it in the dailyfail.

If you would like to spend that much funding a vaccine for a cancer that accounts to so few deaths per year, then you need to seriously look into where else NHS funding can go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Why would you not want to prevent cervical cancer? Sure, some people have reacted badly to the injections, but these people are in the minority.
    Yea, because of this, I think I am going to get it, but I have just been wary of it because of the number of cases with bad reactions. I think the exceptions have been hyped a bit, but it is still a possibility and I commonly get the short end of the stick when it comes to bad reactions to vaccinations. I will def get the jab soon though, cos I will feel safer when I get to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't, I forgot and now I'm to old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    I haven't had it as I was 19 when it was introduced and I think it only goes up to 18 year olds? I don't k now if it's something to worry about though? Surely there's a reason why girls over 18 haven't got it?
    NHS funding mainly. Given that the vaccine was licensed for up to 25 yr olds.

The cut off birthdate is 1st September 1990, born before then and you aren't elligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Bollucks. You clearly have no idea how the NHS works.

Yes, there are problems with funding but it has nothing to do with over-paying GPs. Sod off back to reading about it in the dailyfail.
    Meh, I just have experience from my local hospital, both from being chronically ill there for months and getting to know a lot of the staff and from doing work experience there. The "management team" are all on £80k+ and did practically nothing, were gone by 10 to 5 every day etc :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    I haven't had it, because I'm 19, and therefore just missed the vaccinations.

yeh pretty much this, i was 19 when they started giving them out.

Can you ask for one if your 20ish? not sure if i want to or not but it seems odd to have this cut off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    I haven't had it as I was 19 when it was introduced and I think it only goes up to 18 year olds? I don't k now if it's something to worry about though? Surely there's a reason why girls over 18 haven't got it?
    I think it's for cost reasons. I read that in Australia they're offering it to women up to the age of 26 or so. And it's only us who will be affected by this cut off age, because after us all girls will be offered it from the age of 12 or 13. So really, they're being nice by offering it to 14, 15, 16, 17 year olds etc. They could have started with the current 12 year olds and just carried on doing 12 year olds from there. It's not that it's ineffective on 19 year olds. You can still get it privately at any age, for example.

(Original post by DalekLover)
    This might sound a bit pathetic, but I haven't had it because my mum doesn't want me to. When I got the letter I was quite keen to book an appointment for it, but mum said she'd read all this stuff and thought I only needed it if i was sexually promiscuous (which I'm not). I'm sure shes wrong, but I don't feel I can go ahead with it now. Yep, that is rather pathetic :/
    You could either explain to her that that's not true (e.g. tell her that even if you only have sex with 1 person, you could still get HPV from them, and it's not like the only people who get cervical cancer are promiscuous people...) or you can make the appointments and get them yourself. It takes 10 minutes each time maximum, she'd not have to know that's what you were doing.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I just have experience from my local hospital, both from being chronically ill there for months and getting to know a lot of the staff and from doing work experience there. The "management team" are all on £80k+ and did practically nothing, were gone by 10 to 5 every day etc :rolleyes:
    Yes, there is issues with beaurocracy within the NHS but where on earth did GP salaries come from? Certain managment rolls are vital to the NHS, other's not so much.

Experience from your local hospital shows **** all to be honest. Certain trusts are managed worse than others, not that you'd even see very much of the management team as a patient. Work experience would depend on where you're based around the hospital. Try not to generalise the entire NHS, it makes you look like a tit.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Jaded22)
    It wont be available where I am until march. One week after I turn 18, meaning Im not allowed it even though its been available elsewhere since I turned 17.
    I got offered mine after I turned 18...

I just had my third one in Dec. had the first one maybe before I turned 18 I'm not sure.

Meh. I'm in Wales anyway maybe it's diff!

ReputationRep:
    yep thats me out! great isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    That's quite selfish reasoning. What about the guys/girls you pass it on to? directly or not
    It's my body, I can choose to do what I like.
    Worry about it so much, get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DalekLover)
    This might sound a bit pathetic, but I haven't had it because my mum doesn't want me to. When I got the letter I was quite keen to book an appointment for it, but mum said she'd read all this stuff and thought I only needed it if i was sexually promiscuous (which I'm not). I'm sure shes wrong, but I don't feel I can go ahead with it now. Yep, that is rather pathetic :/
    While being promiscuous raises your chances of getting HPV and cervical cancer, you could never have sex until you're married and only sleep with your husband your whole life and they could be that person that gives you HPV- and then effectively cancer.

And perhaps your husband would only have needed to sleep with one other person himself.. you get the idea..

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    No, it's not.
    Considering 40% of people who have been sexual active for a year or more WITH a condom have contracted HPV and 90% without, it's not likely that it will be much use. Anyways, i'm not fussed about cancer. Considering the sharp increase in cancer incidences (1 in 3 people, although this is more likely just to be more reported cases), i'm willing to bet that in a few years cancer will be as common as asthma or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyyyyyyy)
    Considering 40% of people who have been sexual active for a year or more WITH a condom have contracted HPV and 90% without, it's not likely that it will be much use. Anyways, i'm not fussed about cancer. Considering the sharp increase in cancer incidences (1 in 3 people, although this is more likely just to be more reported cases), i'm willing to bet that in a few years cancer will be as common as asthma or something like that.
    That % shows that most (over half) of people WOULD benefit from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    I haven't, I forgot and now I'm to old
    I don't think you can become too old. It's offered to people whose birthdate is after 01/09/90... and your birthday can't have changed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    That % shows that most (over half) of people WOULD benefit from it
    True. Ah well. I look forward to my cervical cancer...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it, but I want it!! I need to get something sorted out soon lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.