Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having it done..has anyone read about Audrey Kitching's horrible experience with the jab? Not to mention the cases of paralysis and other adverse effects it seems to have caused a huge number of people.

Besides, needles in the skin terrify me.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it and have had no problems at all, apart from the slightly achey arm which is to be expected. I don't understand people turning down the vaccine

I've had it done as I've already had cancer once and that was not exactly the most enjoyable experience of my life !

To people who are not getting it done because they are "scared of needles" Trust me, if you get Cervical cancer you will have to have a lot more needles than 3 small vaccinations. It's not worth Not having it done! Chemo is not just like taking a couple of paracetamol, it's horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I got it. I'm not gonna get cancer.

Win

ReputationRep:
    Every girl in secondary schools in Scotland got given the choice of the vaccine or not for free, and so pretty much nearly every girl at my school decided to get the jab including me. The common problem we all noticed was the lack of mobility in your arm for a few hours to a couple of days after having the jab. If you're allergic to egg white/latex then don't get the jab as they are contained within it. I didn't know there was egg white in the vaccination as my doctor couldn't find out about any allergy advice before advising me on getting the jab or not. Unfortunately for my, my experience of the jab was quite crap tbh as I ended up taking a fit and a really bad allergic reaction which was pretty much like my nut allergies which are serious - not being able to breathe, uncontrollable sweating and shaking and fits, and instead of the nurses that were there doing their job , ie taking action to prevent the allergy from furthering, they simply told me that "I was nervous about the jag and that I was totally fine." So yeh, got vaccination 1, ended up in hospital and then never got any of the rest. Which is a shame because it obviously has a really good purpose and reason ;\

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it. I don't want anything to happen 10,20 or 30 yrs down the line like with flidamine.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two of the three jabs and got my third one soon!! I'm not looking forward to it - they hurt!

ive not had it. chose not too. no particular reason really apart from that i could not be bothered. cervical cancer is often caused by sleeping around, i dont intend to do that. also i smoke - find it pretty hypocritical getting vaccinated from a form of disease that i am bringing on myself my smoking. and i dont NEED a cervical cancer jab to live my life. id much rather the government spend their millions of pounds on worthwhile things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    I got it. I'm not gonna get cancer.

Win
    It only prevents one type of cervical cancer, you can still get it...

http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/Vacci...he_HPV_vaccine

ReputationRep:
    Been offered it, haven't had it, won't have it.
    I'm extremely wary of these kind of things - it's so recent and you just don't know what the effects could be later on in life. It's just government propaganda - the NHS get money for every injection they give. The companies making the vaccine are making huge profits out of this.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't but I have to go for a smear test and 'cause my periods are irregular it's bloody hard to arrange it gah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    It only prevents one type of cervical cancer, you can still get it...
    If its going to reduce my chances, I'm still glad I got it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't.. because.... I couldn't be bothered, basically. I threw the letter away thinking 'why would I need this.'
    And now I'm 19 so I can't get it free anymore (I think?)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't, but only because I keep forgetting to ring the doctor and make an appointment.
    Anything I can do to reduce the risk of getting ill, I will do. Even though I'm a bit wary of the stories of girls dying.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got it because last year, my college only vaccinated upper sixth girls, now they won't do it this year and have told us all to go see our GPs. My GP's office lady is being stupid and won't believe that my college doesn't do it, and that all my girlfriends had theirs done at their GP ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    i havent had it :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityRulez)
    I haven't had it. I don't want anything to happen 10,20 or 30 yrs down the line like with flidamine.
    Then I hope you're prepared to stop taking any medication that's come into widespread use at any time in the past few decades.

Ibuprofen's out for a start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityRulez)
    Oh dear lord it's thalidomide. "Flid" is an offensive slur used against them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    No, I would have to pay a lot of money to get it done.

I think I was about 18 or 19 when they started doing it on the NHS, and by then I was considered over the hill...
    how much does it cost?

OP
    No i haven't ... my sister has,.. and i want to

ReputationRep:
    me, i dont really want one

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.