Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? watch

ReputationRep:
    got offered it- didn't have it.
    i didn't feel confident having something that could have so many adverse side effects injected into my body!

ReputationRep:
    Some people think it's so black and white, but it's not. I was offered it but how do you know what problems it may cause in the future? It's too new for me to trust it completely. Anyone remember hearing about thalidomide? It was offered in the late 50s/early 60s for women suffering with morning sickness. People thought it was wonderful until a huge percentage of children were born with severe disabilities. I'm not saying it's the same, obviously, but it just goes to show what problems new drugs and jabs can cause.

It's a personal choice, fair enough to those who've had it. I'm going to pay for a smear test to be done privately before I'm 25 anyway I think.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't.
    I'm not a huge fan of injections so if they're not neccessary then I won't have them. Everyone else has done without it in the past and if i'm gonna get that one specific type of cancer (god forbid) then thats just life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugaSuga)
    how much does it cost?

OP
    No i haven't ... my sister has,.. and i want to
    http://www.healthcarerepublic.com/ne...omen-HPV-jabs/

405 pounds according to this.

(Original post by .pushing.charlotte.)
    got offered it- didn't have it.
    i didn't feel confident having something that could have so many adverse side effects injected into my body!
    Surely better than the adverse side effects of chemotheraphy being injected into your body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    I'm 20 and not allowed it apparently.
    REALLY?!
    This lady came to our school to talk about having it done and 'm sure she said 20YOs are allowed........
    Dunno if I misheard but check with your doc just in case if you're keen to get it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Surely better than the adverse side effects of chemotheraphy being injected into your body?
    Cervical cancer is very easily preventable with screenings. It's also very rare. And the HPV jab only prevents about 4 strands out of about 50 (someone correct me on my figures).

And surely that would depend on what the effects are. Their point is that we don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it because it wasn't an option for me.

I'm already passed it.

ReputationRep:
    I was young enough when it came out, but my doctors kindly never bothered to do anything about that. Went private, and things are so expensive like that I'd rather not have another thing to have to pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't had it.. missed both the dates I was able to have it free.
    Might just pay to have done though.

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Cervical cancer is very easily preventable with screenings. It's also very rare. And the HPV jab only prevents about 4 strands out of about 50 (someone correct me on my figures).

And surely that would depend on what the effects are. Their point is that we don't know.
    The problem is that cancer can develop, grow and spread very quickly, especially in younger people, the people who can't get smear tests on the NHS.
    People put scaremongering on every vaccine, look on the news at the MMR recently.
    It's also far more common than you think.
    If I had kids in say 10 years time and then found out i had terminal cervical cancer which could have easily been prevented with 3 vaccines I would hate myself so much for them having to lose their Mum because of my stupid mistake.

And as the vaccine is safe then from experience I'd say the effects of the vaccine are a infinite times better in comparisson to chemotherapy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The problem is that cancer can develop, grow and spread very quickly, especially in younger people, the people who can't get smear tests on the NHS.
    People put scaremongering on every vaccine, look on the news at the MMR recently.
    It's also far more common than you think.
    If I had kids in say 10 years time and then found out i had terminal cervical cancer which could have easily been prevented with 3 vaccines I would hate myself so much for them having to lose their Mum because of my stupid mistake.

And as the vaccine is safe then from experience I'd say the effects of the vaccine are a infinite times better in comparisson to chemotherapy
    How common do I think it is? That's a strange statement to make, without knowing how common I think it is.

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    How common do I think it is? That's a strange statement to make, without knowing how common I think it is.
    Like the way you ignore the rest of the post.

You said above it's rare. I believe it's the second most common cancer in Women, although I may be wrong. Still would not rather take the chance over being scared of a needle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GioGoi)
    Some people think it's so black and white, but it's not. I was offered it but how do you know what problems it may cause in the future? It's too new for me to trust it completely. Anyone remember hearing about thalidomide? It was offered in the late 50s/early 60s for women suffering with morning sickness. People thought it was wonderful until a huge percentage of children were born with severe disabilities. I'm not saying it's the same, obviously, but it just goes to show what problems new drugs and jabs can cause.

It's a personal choice, fair enough to those who've had it. I'm going to pay for a smear test to be done privately before I'm 25 anyway I think.
    The thalidomide disaster was caused by a lack of animal testing, I think it was either gerbils or hamsters that weren't originally tested on (whichever the standard animal is for checking for mutagenic effects, I forget which) but once the crisis broke they went back and did the full set of animal tests, and yep, there were the mutations.

Drugs are far more heavily tested these days than they were back then - the EU has stopped accepting paper drug submissions, because it can take 2-3 Kilometres of shelving to hold the trial data for a single new drug (which isn't even a mixture of new chemicals).

ReputationRep:
    I've had them, but I know someone who chose not to have it because she's allergic to pretty much everything and didn't want to take the risk. XD

ReputationRep:
    My mate didn't get one cause she didn't believe they were effective...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    REALLY?!
    This lady came to our school to talk about having it done and 'm sure she said 20YOs are allowed........
    Dunno if I misheard but check with your doc just in case if you're keen to get it done.

NHS website about people who are eligible:

Girls born before 1st September 1990 - there is no current plan to offer the vaccine to those aged 18 and over as part of a national programme.

ME [guy]

ReputationRep:
    ahh I have my second one tomorrow, this thread just reminded me :/

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have it because i'm not at great risk right now i guess.
    No family history of any kind of cancer and i don't expect to be sexually active for a few years still.

Also, no one's really sure about the long term side effects of the vaccine yet so i decided to give it a miss.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.