Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone NOT had the "cervical cancer jab"? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I haven't had it, I'm too old. I've had a smear test though.

ReputationRep:
    Another one in the 'too old' camp, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't

ReputationRep:
    I remember when the teaching assistants were handing letters out around the class regarding this. I asked, without thinking, "Why don't I get one?" and the (now-ex) GF turned round and said "Because you don't have a cervix"

ReputationRep:
    Why don't all of you just take your smear tests and find out if you have it in order to prevent spreading it around to the remnant who are hpv free! simples!

If you have it - stop sleeping around. If you don't - hooray!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't.

I have no reason.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, and was offered the jab, but didn't take it. I know that probably sounds irresponsible, but I had my reasons!

When I was offered it, I wasn't sure about it because I knew that it only protected against certain forms of the virus. I know you're better to be protected from some forms than none, obviously, but I just wasn't sure about it. So I went to my GP, who talked through the whole process with me, before adding that if you're planning to have sex with only one person, you should be safe enough not to get the vaccine. (I'm Christian, so sex with multiple people isn't really on the cards, lol, so that was a point.)

The other thing was that when I talked to my mother about it, she wasn't too keen on the whole idea. She stressed that it was my decision, but she didn't like the idea of the vaccine because she thought it was encouraging promiscuity. Not that she has to worry about that with me, lol, but I do agree with her on that count (see below!).

So I was pretty much undecided, until I got a medical reason that made my decision. I'm in the St John Ambulance, and my officers recommended that I get a Hep B vaccine because I'm in contact with blood a lot. Hepatitis seems like the more urgent threat, lol, so I opted to have it now. Taking two vaccines at the same time isn't the best idea because if you take an allergic reaction or something like that, you've no idea which vaccine you reacted to.

So, Hep B it was, and I cancelled my appointment to get the vaccine.

And, as some people have mentioned - just because I didn't get the vaccine does /not/ mean that I won't be getting regular smear tests. Not doing that is irresponsible.

Also, it really hacked me off that when the first doses were administered, they were given to girls my sister's year, who were 12/13 at the time. At that point, they only had proof that they were protected for four years, which would have meant that they were protected until they were 16/17. I live in Northern Ireland, so the age of consent is 17. Underage sex is a fact, I know, but I thought that this was encouraging it - you'd be surprised by how many young girls think that HPV is the only thing that you can get from unprotected sex these days, mainly because they haven't been warned about the other stuff when they were getting this vaccine. So, now they don't have cervical cancer to worry about, they think that if they're on the Pill or some form of oral contraceptive, they're completely fine to have unprotected sex.

This kind of worries me.

Obviously, now they know it lasts for a longer amount of time than that, but my point of view still holds, I feel.

Just thought I'd give my two cents - I didn't get the HPV vaccine due to moral reasons (which I'm sure some people disagree with, but oh well!) and a fear of contracting hepatitis =]

ReputationRep:
    I havent had it, though I did get a letter in the post the other day, now saying that people of my age group (over 16s, Im 17 btw) are now available to have it and that I can too, just need to book an appoinment if I want it.
    Though, currently unsure, as I cant stand injections, scare the life outta me, just had to have a jab as Im off to Africa next week. Also, its a new vaccine, so its still kind of a "test subject" so Im not sure exactly how worth it it is at the moment, so Im unsure if I should get it done yet or not, or wait a bit longer to see first atleast.

ReputationRep:
    mmm i have the third one soon, scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    I shouldn't have had it done - I was closer to 19 than 18 when they sent me a letter saying I could have it. I got the first two, came back six months later for the third one and they told me that I shouldn't have gotten it in the first place and I'd have to pay for the last one. I did pay for the last one (it was one prescription charge of £4), but I was quite annoyed - if I shouldn't have gotten it then I should not have got it all, not buy one, get two free.

£4 for a vaccine against cervical cancer? Criminal :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Had two of them and was then told that I couldn't have the last one since I'd changed doctors for uni -.-

ReputationRep:
    I'm too old, you have to be under 20, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I'm supposed to be in the catch up thing but I don't think I'll get it done, me and needles are an awful mix
    me too but it wasn't go bad

i have to go back for the third one during study leave

:sigh:

(Original post by raisin.)
    i don't regret it because it made a lot of people at my school ill, and many chose not to have their second or third dose anyway. at first, my mum was quite angry at me for deciding not to have it, but she now agrees with me and was quite wary about my little sister having it. it's a personal choice, i guess. i'm not against people having it at all, but equally i don't think it's right to call others silly/irresponsible if they choose not to.
    that's strange, no one at my school got ill.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get it done. The type of cancer it vaccinates against is one that stems from a type of STI. I will make sure I don't get an STI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    If the HPV in your family is anything to do with family history, I'd be worried about what goes on in your family
    Quite a valid point! With some of my relatives, I wouldn't be surprised. XD

But nah, we're just susceptible to cancer for some dumb reason, so I don't really wanna take chances!

ReputationRep:
    Too old.

ReputationRep:
    This is the one that comes in three parts yes?

I've had the first two, and both have made be insanely ill for about a fortnight.
    So I won't be having the third.

Anyone else get ill from it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    I didn't get it done. The type of cancer it vaccinates against is one that stems from a type of STI. I will make sure I don't get an STI.

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaded22)
    I got the TB jab but they stopped doing it the year after because apparently its ineffective now. So I got the scar and terror for nothing
    Nah they brought it back in again in certain areas the year later

(I got it done the year before they stopped it too :king2: a year earlier than most people had it - in year 8 not year 9 - which means many of my friends never had it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    No..

and you can get HPV even whilst using a condom (skin to skin contact), so you're going to have no physical contact with your other half whatsoever from now on?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.