Turn on thread page Beta

bought a car, got ripped off big time, help? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here's the situation;

I bought a Peugeot 206 from a guy who was advertising on auto-trader, he sold me the car for £2500. After a month the car stared giving me problems, first there was problems with the tracking, next it was the wheels. I had to get brand new wheel twice. On top of that it 'drinks' petrol like crazy! I would literally go from Hampstead heath to convent garden and back, and £10 pound petrol that I just put in would go to zero. I have to fill up £10 pound every day for such little journey's.

And now on top of that its not working now. The car does not move! I press gas nothing happens.

Also because I was having all these problems I decided to sell the car, so I found a company that buys used cars, on the website they quoted £2535 for the car. I thought that was great deal. Booked an appointment and took it to them.

The mechanic had a look at it, looked up the history on the car and he told me that I had been ripped off. The guy who sold it to me sold me a written off car. It had been involved in an accident and was written of by DVLA. He fixed the car up, as he works in a garage and also spray painted it blue, the original colour was silver.

I never knew there was a system where by you could do checks like this on cars. I know I was stupid and now all my car is worth is £800.

Do I have any legal right what so ever on this guy who sold the car? I think I know what the answer is,but just want some advice from others.

I am really upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie_gs)

I bought a Peugeot 206 from a guy who was advertising on auto-trader, he sold me the car for £2500. After a month the car stared giving me problems, first there was problems with the tracking, next it was the wheels. I had to get brand new wheel twice. On top of that it 'drinks' petrol like crazy! I would literally go from Hampstead heath to convent garden and back, and £10 pound petrol that I just put in would go to zero. I have to fill up £10 pound every day for such little journey's.

And now on top of that its not working now. The car does not move! I press gas nothing happens.

Also because I was having all these problems I decided to sell the car, so I found a company that buys used cars, on the website they quoted £2535 for the car. I thought that was great deal. Booked an appointment and took it to them.

The mechanic had a look at it, looked up the history on the car and he told me that I had been ripped off. The guy who sold it to me sold me a written off car. It had been involved in an accident and was written of by DVLA. He fixed the car up, as he works in a garage and also spray painted it blue, the original colour was silver.

I never knew there was a system where by you could do checks like this on cars. I know I was stupid and now all my car is worth is £800.

Do I have any legal right what so ever on this guy who sold the car? I think I know what the answer is,but just want some advice from others.

I am really upset.
    Would be tough, think this comes under trading standards. Did you sign an AA car sale form? You'd probably have to prove he advertised it under false details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie_gs)

I am really upset.
    If the car was a write-off when you bought it, and it was sold as a "road legal" car, then yes it was sold illegally, and you should be able to get your money back. You will probably have to go through the small claims county court, but this is not too difficult and is well worth doing.

With hindsight (and in future!) you should ALWAYS ask to see an MOT before you buy, though.

ReputationRep:
    A lesson learnt?

ReputationRep:
    If he is selling cars that have been written off.. I guess that's considered illegal???
    Don't know about getting your money back though.

ReputationRep:
    My cars a little bit like that my trackings appalling despite having it done once and getting a new wheel arm thingy..the steering wheel's got alot of play in it and even if i hold the wheel straight its really hard to keep it in one lane on the motorway.. and it drinks petrol badly sorry to hijack the thread but any ideas seeing as you people seem to knoww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    Would be tough, think this comes under trading standards. Did you sign an AA car sale form? You'd probably have to prove he advertised it under false details.
    Not really; if he was selling the car as a working car (ie didn't make it clear it was a write-off) then it certainly wasn't fit for purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Serves you right for being a moron.

ReputationRep:
    This is why you must, must, MUST always ask to see the documentation for the car and take a good look around it - it's always a very good idea, if you don't know anything about cars, to take someone with you who does.

If it was sold on lies, then take it to trading standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Not really; if he was selling the car as a working car (ie didn't make it clear it was a write-off) then it certainly wasn't fit for purpose.
    So in a nutshell, the same thing as what I just said. :rolleyes:

Point being you'd probably have to locate or get a record of the advert to prove he sold it dishonestly.

ReputationRep:
    This car has been sold illegally. Visit your local police station.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend had the same thing happen to him, a bloke wanted £5000 cash for a car which turned out to have been clocked, he claimed it was near new, when it turned out he had just done it up a bit.

(can't remember the exact mileage numbers)

Luckily, he handed over a cheque so it was stopped.

The police were called, but then dropped the charges, they couldn't be bothered. So now, the dodgy dealer has the car back, ready to sell to someone else, for the wrong mileage and price.
    I hope that the people that go to look at the car have as much knowledge about cars as my boyfriends dad did, so no one gets ripped off like you did, and like my boyfriend nearly did.

It's really sad that there are people out there ready to mug off people who don't have much experience.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a private sale from someones house then you will have no legal rights at all. Private cars as sold "as is" and once the money has changed hands there is no legal right to refund or compensation of any kind.

If you bought the car from a registered garage then you will have rights, but the longer it has been since you bought the car the less chance you will have of getting anything back! Research the Sale of Goods Act online - anything sold must be in decent condition, last a reasonable amount of time and fit for the purpose it was intended for. It is the sellers responsibility for this, not the manufacturer. You can definately get him on this, but if you have been driving the car round for weeks or months your case will be weakened a lot.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Lot of false info and assumptions going on in this thread.

Assuming the car was a Cat C/D write off, then the car can still be sold on legally. By selling it on, the seller hasn't broken any rules.

I'm assuming this was a private seller and not a dealer?

Since April '08, trade sellers are legally bound to declare if the car they are selling you is a write off. If you bought from a trader after this date, you should be able to get some compensation.

But, a private seller has absolutely no obligation to tell you whether or not a car is recorded as a write off. The only obligation they have is not to lie about it when asked.

For example, if he wrote "not a write off" on the advert and then you subsequently found out it was a write off, then you'd have cause for legal recompense. The fact he presumably didn't mention whether or not it was recorded as a write off, leaves the seller in the clear from a legal perspective.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear OP, but unless you have the private seller claiming in writing that the car was not a write off, or you bought from a trader, then you don't realistically have a leg to stand on. An expensive lesson, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you need to find out what class of write off you have as cars are written off and categorised according to how bad the damage is, using the following bands:

Cat A: vehicle must never go back on the road, and no parts of it may be reused.
    Cat B: as Cat A but parts can be reused.
    Cat C: can be repaired and put back on the road but it must be inspected by VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) before being used on the road. VOSA will issue a Certificate if the VIC (Vehicle Identification Check) test is passed.
    Cat D: very light damage but uneconomical to repair as the car is probably worth very little. The car can be put back on the road, and it may not need a VIC test as any damage is usually cosmetic.

Then, you want to try and find out if the seller is legally bound to declare that the car he is selling is a write off. Call DVLA - they are very helpful, or try the CAB or spend 15 mins on the phone with a solicitor.

I bet that it is illegal to sell you a write off without telling you so I wouldn't be surprized if you could sue in small claims court for your money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Lot of false info and assumptions going on in this thread.

Assuming the car was a Cat C/D write off, then the car can still be sold on legally. By selling it on, the seller hasn't broken any rules.

I'm assuming this was a private seller and not a dealer?

Since April '08, trade sellers are legally bound to declare if the car they are selling you is a write off. If you bought from a trader after this date, you should be able to get some compensation.

But, a private seller has absolutely no obligation to tell you whether or not a car is recorded as a write off. The only obligation they have is not to lie about it when asked.

For example, if he wrote "not a write off" on the advert and then you subsequently found out it was a write off, then you'd have cause for legal recompense. The fact he presumably didn't mention whether or not it was recorded as a write off, leaves the seller in the clear from a legal perspective.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear OP, but unless you have the private seller claiming in writing that the car was not a write off, or you bought from a trader, then you don't realistically have a leg to stand on. An expensive lesson, I'm afraid.
    Good information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    But he can say category whatever (like d) and most people dont look into what that means - they assume its an insurance category or something.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, what Sync said, if you bought it privately I don't think you'll get much of a comeback. There are plenty of cat c/d cars back on the road, most of them are fine so long as they've been properly repaired. It's also pretty common to have a full-body respray so all panels are matching in paint colour. Obviously if the car isn't starting at all and you bought it recently you should contact the seller, but if its been more than a few months I doubt you'll get anything out of it i'm afraid.

Spending £20 on a HPI check is insignificant really when you're spending anything over a £1000 on a car. You can also get a cheaper check for about £3 that will flag up any problems like that. Did you get a copy of the check the mechanic did for you or done one yourself since? That should give you all the details of the accident category etc.

If I was in that position i'd say its probably still more economical to keep the car rather than losing that amount of money. The some of the mechanical problems may be completely unrelated.

How long have you had the car? Has it been through an MOT since you've had it?

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of dodgy cars... How's this for one!
    7k miles (obviously not)
    SDI + Classic trim = Used as taxi
    No badges at the back or under side indicators - worrying.
    Also 7k miles and a towbar??? You don't fit a towbar to a car and only do 7k miles!

Can this garage not be fined for selling cars where the milage has been fiddled?
    http://www.scootersgarage.co.uk/12382/stock.htm (Page 13 search "octavia" )

ReputationRep:
    Caveat emptor.

Something that you didn't do. How you didn't realise that checks were available, or your parents for that matter is simply utter naivety.

The fact that you bought the car for £2.5k with the auto-buyer paying more rings alarm bells! Somehow you must have known?

Anyway - Hampstead Heath - where abouts

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.