Turn on thread page Beta

weight loss via weight lifting watch

i do enough cardio etc.

still need to lose a lot of weight, any suggestions on weight lifting that will enhance weight loss via building up muscles?

im not clued up with weight lifting, so dont shout at me please!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

Do that. Search around on the wiki for technique etc.

ReputationRep:
    HIRT and circuit training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    i do enough cardio etc.

still need to lose a lot of weight, any suggestions on weight lifting that will enhance weight loss via building up muscles?

thanks
    Does not compute. Building muscles will make you gain weight, just not the fatty kind. However this doesn't mean you shouldn't do it; it's better to look like a powerbear than just a fat guy, or a ripped guy than a thin guy :woo:

(Original post by Elementric)
    Does not compute. Building muscles will make you gain weight, just not the fatty kind. However this doesn't mean you shouldn't do it; it's better to look like a powerbear than just a fat guy, or a ripped guy than a thin guy :woo:
    yeah what i meant was that i would like to lose weight
    i do my daily (well every two days most weeks) >1 hour cardio but i hear that gaining muscle will help lose the fat

i didn't literally mean, i want to see 60kg on the scales as opposed to 80kg (no real numbers lol!)
    because i know that mucles weights more than fat etc.

yeah...

(Original post by yodude888)
    HIRT and circuit training?
    explain
    thanks

(Original post by smalltownboy)
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

Do that. Search around on the wiki for technique etc.
    that is for already fit people or people not fat who are looking to build muscles

im looking to weight lift and weights training in order to lose fat

ReputationRep:
    It will not make you smaller no. I'm interested in what you intend to use to build muscles if you're running a calorie deficit?

If you do enough cardio then your diet is probably ****. Try looking there instead.

ReputationRep:
    yeah what i meant was that i would like to lose weight
    i do my daily (well every two days most weeks) >1 hour cardio but i hear that gaining muscle will help lose the fat

i didn't literally mean, i want to see 60kg on the scales as opposed to 80kg (no real numbers lol!)
    because i know that mucles weights more than fat etc.

yeah...

that is for already fit people or people not fat who are looking to build muscles

Surely you are interested in losing fat, not just weight, correct?

You can do starting strength on a calorie deficit if you want to. You won't be able to progress for very long, but you can certainly still do the routine. You are NOT going to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, but you will be able to keep more of the muscle you already have and hopefully shed some fat. If all you did was cardio, you'd lose fat and muscle. If you weight train, especially a good full body program like Starting Strength, you will keep more muscle. Plus you will definitely get stronger, and this will increase your work capacity to enable you to lose even more fat by doing hard things.

ReputationRep:

Well it's the best training program for beginners to weight training which will burn the most calories and work the whole body in the most efficient amount of time. But if you want to waste your time on machines, feel free.

(Original post by SMed)
    Surely you are interested in losing fat, not just weight, correct?

You can do starting strength on a calorie deficit if you want to. You won't be able to progress for very long, but you can certainly still do the routine. You are NOT going to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, but you will be able to keep more of the muscle you already have and hopefully shed some fat. If all you did was cardio, you'd lose fat and muscle. If you weight train, especially a good full body program like Starting Strength, you will keep more muscle. Plus you will definitely get stronger, and this will increase your work capacity to enable you to lose even more fat by doing hard things.
    yeah losing fat, thats what i meant!

im not on a calorie defecit as such
    im eating less, or replacing bad foods with healthy
    mostly im just doing more exercise

ok you said a lot there!
    so basically i should do as i thought:
    continue my cardio plan, and lift more weights

at the moment i do around 30 mins cardio then lift weights to build up arm strength because i play tennis

i want to increase the amount of weights i do in order to gain enough muscle to start of that "gain muscle = lose fat" thing that people keep saying... or am i mistaken/this aint the case?

your sig is disgusting btw!! :p:

(Original post by smalltownboy)
    Well it's the best training program for beginners to weight training which will burn the most calories and work the whole body in the most efficient amount of time. But if you want to waste your time on machines, feel free.
    no no, i just assumed it was for already fit people..!
    i'll keep that link handy thanks!

(Original post by RyanT)
    It will not make you smaller no. I'm interested in what you intend to use to build muscles if you're running a calorie deficit?

If you do enough cardio then your diet is probably ****. Try looking there instead.
    im eating healthily, but excercising more
    i've had a good cardio routine for a while now
    but i want to gain muscle so that not only am i stronger but i when people say "gaining muscle helps burn fat" i thought this will be good too... no?

ReputationRep:
    * reduce body fat %

if so the answer is yes

ReputationRep:
    i do enough cardio etc.

thanks
    neo this has probably already been said, but sex can help lose lots of weight... try it out :yep:

(Original post by nellydee)
    neo this has probably already been said, but sex can help lose lots of weight... try it out :yep:
    what are you insinuating

(Original post by Kash:))
    * reduce body fat %

if so the answer is yes
    so weight lifting will definitely help and i wont just be wasting my time?

will it speed the fat loss up?

ReputationRep:
    what are you insinuating
    NOTHING. sorry to burst your little bubble, but i'm insinuating nothing other than the fact that you should be telling me all about your RELATIONSHIPS inii (dun know STILL)

oh yeah, and once you've done that i'll find you some prozzi in edgware who'll help you lose weight :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that there were 3 types of weight training:
    MUSCLE BUILDING: high intensity, low reps (around 8)
    TONING: Medium intensity, medium reps (20~)
    WEIGHT LOSS: Light weight, high reps (50 if possible)

then again im not a personal trainer... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thoughtless)

It's more like this:

PROPER WEIGHTLIFTING: High intensity, low reps (5-10)
    PUSSYING AROUND: Light weight, high reps

Yes, of course I'm generalising, but it's very rare that high rep work is good for that much unless you do a sport you need to particularly develop strength endurance for.

OP: Are you male? If you are, I have no idea why you'd want to see 60kg on the scales.

ReputationRep:
    wanna know my secret, old fruity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thoughtless)

Yeah you're not, so hel yourself to a nice, cold glass of

shut the **** up juice

(Original post by Chumbaniya)
    It's more like this:

PROPER WEIGHTLIFTING: High intensity, low reps (5-10)
    PUSSYING AROUND: Light weight, high reps

Yes, of course I'm generalising, but it's very rare that high rep work is good for that much unless you do a sport you need to particularly develop strength endurance for.

OP: Are you male? If you are, I have no idea why you'd want to see 60kg on the scales.
    nah 60kg was just an example, obviously thats ridiculous!
    the aim of the thread was ways for fat loss via weight lifting
    still unsure

(Original post by Bishamon)
    Yeah you're not, so hel yourself to a nice, cold glass of

shut the **** up juice
    what do you suggest then?

(Original post by Nfixlol)
    wanna know my secret, old fruity?
    please

ReputationRep:
    nah 60kg was just an example, obviously thats ridiculous!
    the aim of the thread was ways for fat loss via weight lifting
    still unsure

what do you suggest then?

please
    as a fellow brown person, i am sure that you probably eat **** loads of rice without thinking anything of it. stop doing this, it's not good for you if your metabolism can't handle it, it's full of empty carbs or something, which you don't want. eat much less rice, and more meat and vegetables and crank your cardio up a notch, it's probably not good enough atm if it isn't working.

(Original post by Nfixlol)
    as a fellow brown person, i am sure that you probably eat **** loads of rice without thinking anything of it. stop doing this, it's not good for you if your metabolism can't handle it, it's full of empty carbs or something, which you don't want. eat much less rice, and more meat and vegetables and crank your cardio up a notch, it's probably not good enough atm if it isn't working.
    ah i already stopped eating rice a year ago
    my metabolism sucks, i need ways to get that to change aswell..

in a vegetarian family its hard to get meat, i eat it myself but i cannot bring it in the house etc.
    i eat quite a bit of chicken being a lean meat and all that.. (not fried obviously!)

cardio is cranked up so much that im killing myself! (well not literally) its working enough to have had a good outcome in the last 6 months

the aim of the thread was just to find ways of using weights to accelerated fatloss... since i keep hearing that putting on muscle can do this but no ones ever explained how exactly!

thanks for the help old fruity

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.