Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

weight loss via weight lifting Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)

what do you suggest then?
    Using Google so you dont like such a moron. Rep variation is a fallacy and has NO EFFECT on fat loss, since hypertrophy occurs outside the gym such a notion was retarded to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    i do enough cardio etc.

still need to lose a lot of weight, any suggestions on weight lifting that will enhance weight loss via building up muscles?

im not clued up with weight lifting, so dont shout at me please!

thanks
    I asked my nutritionist why strength training is often suggested in weight-loss programmes, because I thought you required a calorie surplus to build mass and increase your base metabolism. His response:-

In answer to your Q weight training can cause an increase in muscle mass if the conditions are right (energy balance is going the right way) as you say. When you are in an energy deficit though, it conserves muscle mass, meaning two things: 1) more metabolically expensive tissue is around (muscle) and also more of the shortfall in energy is being made up by metabolising fat. They may seem similar but difference between those two factors is important to remember.

There is also a whole group of reasons to do with the endocrine system. Weight training stimulates a certain set of hormonal reactions and also the effects of retaining the muscle mass is connected with a set of hormonal messages going from the body to the brain.

In short, if a person was looking to loose fat and develop a good physique and they could watch their diet but could only do EITHER weights or cardio I would have them doing weights... it is that effective when teamed with diet.
    I don't entirely understand what he's saying, but I'll trust the advice. FWIW, the program he setup for me has 3 weights sessions and 3 fairly short cardio sessions (20-35 mins) per week.

(Original post by harryold)
    I asked my nutritionist why strength training is often suggested in weight-loss programmes, because I thought you required a calorie surplus to build mass and increase your base metabolism. His response:-

I don't entirely understand what he's saying, but I'll trust the advice. FWIW, the program he setup for me has 3 weights sessions and 3 fairly short cardio sessions (20-35 mins) per week.
    this is brilliant thanks
    my cardio sessions are much more than 20-35 a week.. a lot more lool
    i'll continue that
    and i'll up my weights sessions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Using Google so you dont like such a moron. Rep variation is a fallacy and has NO EFFECT on fat loss, since hypertrophy occurs outside the gym such a notion was retarded to begin with.
    quick question.. why are you such a ********?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thoughtless)
    quick question.. why are you such a ********?
    Because there are pussies like you who need to be ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Because there are pussies like you who need to be ******.
    riiiiiight

bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.