Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am writing my coursework on Freud and how some of his theories still have relevance in the modern day scientific study of personality.

I just wanted to quickly ask about the comparison and contrasting points to the biological perspective, ie, what are they basically

I was going to incorporate Phineas Gage in my essay to explain about how the disruption of neurological pathways can cause an adjustment in personality traits, and I have evidence for this, but I really just wanted to ask of any more, even simplistic links that I may have overlooked.

Thank you in advance

Nai. x

ReputationRep:
    I was going to answer but then I saw that you'd signed the post with an x, x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naiara)
    Hey, I am writing my coursework on Freud and how some of his theories still have relevance in the modern day scientific study of personality.

I just wanted to quickly ask about the comparison and contrasting points to the biological perspective, ie, what are they basically

I was going to incorporate Phineas Gage in my essay to explain about how the disruption of neurological pathways can cause an adjustment in personality traits, and I have evidence for this, but I really just wanted to ask of any more, even simplistic links that I may have overlooked.

Thank you in advance

Nai. x
    Don't quite follow. Do you want help with:

-Freud's theories?
    - How they differ from bio?
    - How relivant they are?

OR all 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    Don't quite follow. Do you want help with:

-Freud's theories?
    - How they differ from bio?
    - How relivant they are?

OR all 3?

The relevance of them to the study of personality today. So, basically the links from the theories to the biological approach.

thanks,
    Nai x

ReputationRep:
    The relevance of them to the study of personality today. So, basically the links from the theories to the biological approach.

thanks,
    Nai x
    are you saying that the biological approach is the one used today? because if you had to pick one it'd probably be the cognitive approach that is most used. and contrasting specifically freud & biological might be difficult if you're trying a general overview, I'd pick up on a few explanations and treatments for various disorders etc and evaluate them, saying how they work and if they're supported etc. I'd start with an overview of freuds stage theory, the conscious/pre-conscious/subconscious and the ego/superego/id theories (or whatever you're focussing on) and just evaluating how relevant they are in themselves (is there any evidence for them? (generally, no) do they have (face) validity? etc) before going to explain that instead of doing x like Freud suggested we now do y which is based on [the biological approach or whatever] and is backed up by this study. But it sounds like you already have what you want to talk about in mind, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:

thanks,
    Nai x
    Well first off, psychodynamic is still as useful now as it ever was - psychoanalysis is still used as a form of treatment

There aren't really any links between Freud & the biological approach. Freud is completly psychological, and based his theories on case studies.

Freud : Behaviour is a result of unconscious desires and unresolved problems, often as a result of a poor childhood

Biology: All behaviours are hardwired from mental modules from the EEA, or behaviour is a result of a (un)healthy neuro-anatomy through our genes

Helped?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.