Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    The Wikipedia page says that about 11% of students get a First Class Honours and about 45% get a 2:1, so approximately 56% are getting a 2:1 or better.
    well wikipedia lies then!

ReputationRep:
    The Wikipedia page says that about 11% of students get a First Class Honours and about 45% get a 2:1, so approximately 56% are getting a 2:1 or better.
    Crap. Maybe it's about time I do some actual work

(Original post by Anatheme)
    Crap. Maybe it's about time I do some actual work
    Ditto . .

ReputationRep:
    God, why do people generalise so much on here? There are some people with 2:2's and 3rds who go on to do just fine. People need to crawl out of their own arses and realise that a degree class lower than a 2:1 isn't the end of the world. There's more to life.

People on TSR seem to have a knee-jerk reaction when "2:2" is mentioned: "Oh have fun flipping burgers lolz". Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I was being a bit unfair really. A 2:2 isn't a bad degree and not that many years ago it would have got you a nice career start somewhere. I actually do sympathise with the OP. Not everybody can get a 1st or a 2:1

The problem is that the job market is really bad and the country now churns out 350,000+ graduates each year, half of which have a 2:1 or better, so the competition is a lot fiercer.
    And I was being sarcastic. Right back at ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    God, why do people generalise so much on here? There are some people with 2:2's and 3rds who go on to do just fine. People need to crawl out of their own arses and realise that a degree class lower than a 2:1 isn't the end of the world. There's more to life.

People on TSR seem to have a knee-jerk reaction when "2:2" is mentioned: "Oh have fun flipping burgers lolz". Grow up.
    I got a 3rd in my law degree.

ReputationRep:
    People are just joking you know with all the "flipping burgers"-esque comments. However, I know for some positions that they request specifically a 2:1 or better. That doesn't mean you're ruined if you don't meet those, but certainly if you get at least a 2:1 you gain an advantage. Obviously they can't give everyone 2:1 or better.

The worrying thing is that while nearly half of graduates do meet that, I am concerned I may slip into the bottom half, especially if I get into my first-choice university.
    Yes, I completely understand that some people are just joking about it but it sends the wrong message to naive undergrads or new graduates who skim these forums.

I got a 3rd in my law degree.
    I still don't think it's okay for you to belittle (even in jest) degrees less than a 2:1. It's like when individuals from ethinic minorities parody themselves - they might be comfortable with it but it doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of their ethinic group is okay with it. I think that analogy works :eyebrow:...

I have good friends who are by no means McDonalds material who have 3rds (albiet from Oxbridge but my point is still valid) and have gone on to do grad entry med etc. Not everyone with less than a 2:1 is lazy/stupid and it only gets in your way if you don't have the determination to suceed. It just annoys me that young people can get the wrong impression through forums like TSR, s'all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I got a 2:2, as did some of my friends, and it hasn't stopped any of us doing what we wanted.

ReputationRep:
    the very top graduate jobs won't realistically be an option. but virtually everything else is open.

what uni thats from does make a difference. but it only has a significant difference at the very top end.

for the most part, your uni degree means bugger all. a decent degree just gives you a little bit of a head start over people with a very average one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I completely understand that some people are just joking about it but it sends the wrong message to naive undergrads or new graduates who skim these forums.

I still don't think it's okay for you to belittle (even in jest) degrees less than a 2:1. It's like when individuals from ethinic minorities parody themselves - they might be comfortable with it but it doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of their ethinic group is okay with it. I think that analogy works :eyebrow:...

I have good friends who are by no means McDonalds material who have 3rds (albiet from Oxbridge but my point is still valid) and have gone on to do grad entry med etc. Not everyone with less than a 2:1 is lazy/stupid and it only gets in your way if you don't have the determination to suceed. It just annoys me that young people can get the wrong impression through forums like TSR, s'all.
    How can you do graduate entry med with a 3rd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    I got a 2:2, as did some of my friends, and it hasn't stopped any of us doing what we wanted.
    And in a few years your grade doesn't matter much anyway. I don't remember the last time I was asked what degree classification I have - employers are more interested in my work history and whether I can do the job.

ReputationRep:

I do agree with you, although your "There's more to life" is just as helpful as "have fun flipping burgers". OP asked whether it would be a big problem when trying to find jobs and the answer (at least at the moment, who knows what it's going to be like in 3 or 4 years) is 'yes', whether we like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think a few people need to lighten up. The burger comments are amusing. If people want to know for sure what the deal is if they qualify with a 2:2, they need to research the employer direct and get entry requirements there to get the full picture.

"Will I have a chance of getting a job with a 2:2?" is far too vague a question to get a resonable response for to be fair, not attacking the OP of course.

ReputationRep:
    How can you do graduate entry med with a 3rd?

Enrol on a pre-medical course - minimal requirements are GCSE's but they will take into account the degree class if you have one (if you get a 3rd then you need to impress at interview). I enrolled onto this one:

http://www.col-westanglia.ac.uk/atm-entry.html

Arguably the best in the country and widely recognised by most medical schools. Pass with 6 distinctions (not as easy as it sounds) and then persuade 4 medical schools that when you get those 6 distinctions your degree class becomes irrelavent. Get an offer. Meet the conditions. Off to med school. Oh, and prior to that have a fair amount of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think like that. You have a few months just work harder!!!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome to post more accurate figures here if you want then.
    all i am sayin is dont trust everythin wiki says. it obtains stats from other people.. so you dont kno where they are gettin their sources from!

ReputationRep:
    A 2:2 language degree?

I think Baker's Oven have some openings on the sausage roll counter.
    Bahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Bahahahahaha
    I know. So funny you forgot to laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Enrol on a pre-medical course - minimal requirements are GCSE's but they will take into account the degree class if you have one (if you get a 3rd then you need to impress at interview). I enrolled onto this one:

http://www.col-westanglia.ac.uk/atm-entry.html

Arguably the best in the country and widely recognised by most medical schools. Pass with 6 distinctions (not as easy as it sounds) and then persuade 4 medical schools that when you get those 6 distinctions your degree class becomes irrelavent. Get an offer. Meet the conditions. Off to med school. Oh, and prior to that have a fair amount of work experience.
    :yy: High five! Serious.

EDIT: I'd love to do grad entry med, just don't have the balls, time or patience :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.