Turn on thread page Beta

Presentation watch

Announcements

Right . .I am doing a presentation on Colombia drug trafficking. I am specifically looking at the police corruption. I have been researching for days, but can not find anything substantial, academic enough to use.

Does anyone know where else could look? . . . .I am running out of ideas.

Will reward rep

DB

ReputationRep:
    Try knowlagable sourses.

Ask a simple question on answers.com and there is normally someone who will write loads of info for you.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of police corruption evidence won't be available freely on the internet. Do you have to do that topic?

ReputationRep:
    If there was a substantial body of evidence that the police were involved in cocaine dealing don't you think the government would do something about it?

Like not let the evidence be readily available on the internet?

(Original post by Paul Bartram)
    Try knowlagable sourses.

Ask a simple question on answers.com and there is normally someone who will write loads of info for you.
    Using that source is alright to get an understanding of the topic which I already know. However I can't use it as its not academic enough!! :/

(Original post by rmorrison12)
    If there was a substantial body of evidence that the police were involved in cocaine dealing don't you think the government would do something about it?

Like not let the evidence be readily available on the internet?
    :facepalm: I am not looking for the evidence, I am simply looking for journals, chapters - that sort of thing written by academics on the topic of police corruption in Colombia. So far I am finding just media articles. We have been instructed to use academic variety and not touch wiki with a barge pole which I wouldn't anyway as its such a bad source!

(Original post by slipend)
    A lot of police corruption evidence won't be available freely on the internet. Do you have to do that topic?
    I am not looking for evidence! And yes I have to do that section as its my part and its too late to change now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    :facepalm: I am not looking for the evidence, I am simply looking for journals, chapters - that sort of thing written by academics on the topic of police corruption in Colombia. So far I am finding just media articles. We have been instructed to use academic variety and not touch wiki with a barge pole which I wouldn't anyway as its such a bad source!

I am not looking for evidence! And yes I have to do that section as its my part and its too late to change now.

But surely you will need some evidence to back up your claims of police corruption? Maybe just news articles then, but still some figures/statistics to include in your presentation.

You have picked a hard topic.

(Original post by slipend)
    But surely you will need some evidence to back up your claims of police corruption? Maybe just news articles then, but still some figures/statistics to include in your presentation.

You have picked a hard topic.
    Yea getting the media bits is no problem at all, its finding the academic bits (journals, books) im finding abit of an issue to back up what is being said! :/

My group and I didn't think it would be too much hassle looking at Colombia Drug trafficking (nor did the lecturer who said the topic was alright). But now coming to think of it its not as easy as I thought it would be! :/ I have 4 slides, but its slides im not too happy with. I also have to look at corruption from the Judges too - in their Judicial system! :/

Dear gawd :facepalm: . . .

ReputationRep:

Generally academincs don't write weighty journals on subjects for which their is little or no evidence. Anything you do find will just be speculation or personal/second hand accounts for which there can be no measure of truth. You've got journalism, that's all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you tried the obvious, i.e. searching databases like MLA (or whatever the equivalent for your subject is)?

(Original post by rmorrison12)
    Generally academincs don't write weighty journals on subjects for which their is little or no evidence. Anything you do find will just be speculation or personal/second hand accounts for which there can be no measure of truth. You've got journalism, that's all.
    Yea I have 6 slides full of media articles, 1/2 journal articles and a legislative paper on it!

So I have got abit, just was hoping for more books and etc. :/ But hey ho :dontknow: . . .

(Original post by hobnob)
    Have you tried the obvious, i.e. searching databases like MLA (or whatever the equivalent for your subject is)?
    Yea, that was the first thing I did . . .and it has given me 2 journals! :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yea, that was the first thing I did . . .and it has given me 2 journals! :/
    Broaden your search terms and just search for 'Bolivia' / 'Bolivian', maybe?

Broaden your search terms and just search for 'Bolivia' / 'Bolivian', maybe?
    I will try that and see what results I get - thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I will try that and see what results I get - thanks!
    Good luck. It's bound to produce lots of hits which are irrelevant to you, of course, but sometimes sifting through a long list of results for a general search term is the only option, sadly.

Good luck. It's bound to produce lots of hits which are irrelevant to you, of course, but sometimes sifting through a long list of results for a general search term is the only option, sadly.
    Thanks!

Currently trying to write my literature review = it's just not happening! And im starting to panic!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.