Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a university lecturer who teaches student paramedics and am keen to ask what students enjoy, and don't enjoy about lectures. I have a rough idea as I am qualified but I may be missing something crucial that I had not even considered.

I look forward to your responses :0)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a nursing student, and am more likely to pay attention to humour, images, videos, pictures, and also clear concise facts i can add notes too- ie i'd rather WRITE down my own notes rather than everything being thrown at me via powerpoint, a handout is useful but it needs space to add own person notes, if im writing - im more likely to pay attention

ReputationRep:
    I have not started university yet but personally i enjoy debates and discussions for part of a lecture rather then the teacher talking constantly for an hour straight. i learn easier with discussions

ReputationRep:
    Im at college still but as far as ive seen the teachers who let the lesson relax more tend to be the ones whose lessons i enjoy. Humour is important. Lessons that are made to seem less formal than they are are the best ones. Hope this helps :-D

ReputationRep:
    power-point is good, just don't put size 8 black writing on a dark blue background. One of my lecturers does this, it is impossible to read.

However, don't just read off the slide, it gets very boring and people will stop going to your lecture, make sure to add stuff. Also, make the slides available online before the lecture so people can print them off to annotate.

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually rather it wasn't interactive, like another poster said - I dislike discussions, and I'd rather just ask a question if there's something I'm not understanding. As much as the lazy part of me likes having pre-printed notes to take with me, I definitely understand less and concentrate less, so I'd suggest writing it up on the white/black board if possible, so students have to write stuff down themselves. Just don't go too fast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yafula)
    I have not started university yet but personally i enjoy debates and discussions for part of a lecture rather then the teacher talking constantly for an hour straight. i learn easier with discussions
    isn't that what seminars are for?

I would be very miffed if one of my lecturers started trying to get a discussion going, so would, I imagine, most other people.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T READ OFF SLIDES! I have a couple of lecturers who do this, it would be more productive to read my lectures off WebCT later on.

For each slide, just have a few key words AND Explanations (words without explanations just confuses people when looking back later)

A couple of mine have shown me Blackadder and Eddie Izzard videos...when there's a point (!) it's very useful to absorb that, but when it's just to be popular and funny, that's all of the lecture I remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    isn't that what seminars are for?

I would be very miffed if one of my lecturers started trying to get a discussion going, so would, I imagine, most other people.

With a paramedic course, and something i find in nursing, theres only ever about 30-40 of us in the lecture theatre. In my lectures we quite often have debates or interactive discussion, it is useful

ReputationRep:
    Dear god, no.

I'm paying £3k a year to hear the opinions of a professor with years of research experience in the field, not those from a smug undergraduate with wikipedia open on his laptop.

This is what seminars/workshops are for. And subsequently the reason I choose not to attend them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I'm a nursing student, and am more likely to pay attention to humour, images, videos, pictures, and also clear concise facts i can add notes too- ie i'd rather WRITE down my own notes rather than everything being thrown at me via powerpoint, a handout is useful but it needs space to add own person notes, if im writing - im more likely to pay attention
    Thank you all for your excellent thoughts and opinions. If you think of anything else please let me know. From all of the paramedic community thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Hello,

I hope your nursing course is going well. Thank you kindly for your response. It is possible to provide handouts with space to write notes. I will use those in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I hope that you have chosen a 'good' university where the lecturers listen to their students. It is important to have discussions and interaction in lectures. I do use a lot of groupwork methodologies (also known as collaborative learning) as it provides students with opportunities to compare their current knowledge levels and attitudes with that of others in the group (known as the affective domain).

Good luck with your future studies

ReputationRep:
    I don't study anything medical related, but in general, lectures that are entertaining with a lecturer who can make students laugh are the best.
    I like a bit of rude humour too, but some people don't appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Im at college still but as far as ive seen the teachers who let the lesson relax more tend to be the ones whose lessons i enjoy. Humour is important. Lessons that are made to seem less formal than they are are the best ones. Hope this helps :-D
    Hello,

Thank yo ukindly for sharing your experiences. I fully agree that lectures should be relaxed and informative. It can sometimes be very time consuming and also risky to add humour in a lecture but as you have said, worth it. There is a difference between lecturing and teaching and it is clear from yourself that humour teaches!

Many thanks and good luck in your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    power-point is good, just don't put size 8 black writing on a dark blue background. One of my lecturers does this, it is impossible to read.

However, don't just read off the slide, it gets very boring and people will stop going to your lecture, make sure to add stuff. Also, make the slides available online before the lecture so people can print them off to annotate.
    Hello

I lughed quite loudly when I read what your leture did with the slide. I'm sure that you and the other students didn't find it funny though. there is a massive debate about the use ot powerpoint. They should be used to support the lecture, not to be read directly from for the entirety of the lecture.

You make a good point about making the slides available before the lecture, I do TRY to do this but they are not always fully completed until the night before as I update them. I will certainly consider this in the future.

Thank you for your comments and good luck with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I think it's good you're looking for student feedback

Personally I enjoy the lecturers who don't read off the powerpoint slides. It's incredibly irritating and it makes you wonder why you've bothered going when you could quite easily have just them at home!

I think someone else touched on this, I don't like it when lecturers ask questions in lectures, save this for seminars and tutorials. A lot of people (inc. me) feel uncomfortable answering a question in front of 250 other people - one of my first year psychology lectuers came round a lecture hall with that many people in it with a microphone picking on people to answer questions. A lecture should be just that - I just want to sit quietly, listen and take notes, not be quizzed at every possible opportunity.

Humour's good if you use it and it's actually funny, not just using it to try and seem cool.

Easy on the eye, colourful powerpoints (that you can easily remember visually) are good too - I like to print out lecture slides so that I have 3 slides to a page and then lines to write notes on beside them. That way you can annotate the slides and not have separate sheets of paper, some with slides on and some with notes, it's easy to get mixed up as to what note goes with what slide.

I hope that's useful anyway

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, thank you very much, there seems to be some interesting and recurrent themes emerging.

Have a good day.

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Dear god, no.

I'm paying £3k a year to hear the opinions of a professor with years of research experience in the field, not those from a smug undergraduate with wikipedia open on his laptop.

This is what seminars/workshops are for. And subsequently the reason I choose not to attend them.
    ha

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you're going to make a power point then don't put too many slides on it. Powerpoints are really just something else to illustrate your lecture so they don't have to have every fact in the world on. That just makes it hard to read and horrid. We want enough so we get a basic understanding and can then go on and read for ourselves in more detail.

Also, in regards to lecturing times, we had a 4-6pm lecture last sememester and our lecturer just spoke between 4-5.30 solid and then let us go. He was rushed and even though we appreciated getting out half an hour early at the end of the day we really didn't learn too much on that module. So yeah, don't be rushed just because you want to go home or have something else to do - you've had that period of time set aside to lecture so do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.