Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to keep good sleep pattern, i.e not feel tired when waking up early? (long read) watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 28 this year and I had a expected sleeping pattern for someone of my age till around 22 when a family member died, i.e when I was like 16 I stayed up till around midnight or 1am at latest except maybe once a week for a movie(Since i lived miles out in a small village and had no interest in drinking or clubbing) then left home at 17 and still pretty much kept my 12-1 am sleeping patter apart from once a week I went for about 2 drinks(and I do mean 2 as I was skint then and had little interest in drinking) so that night went to bed around 2.30am and woke up around 9am-10.30 or 11am.

At 18 was as expected first change as moved to halls for 2nd year of college and got overdrafts and credit cards so went drinking most nights(but as I was a lightweight for me £10-£20 meant excessive and was paraletic by £10) then I moved out of halls 3 months later as left college and moved to a bedsit where I went to a mixed sleeping patter but structured generally i.e rarely after 2.30am but often around 1.30 and awake around 10.30 then made a friend who we stayed up to 8am many nights with a can or two of lager or a smoke of a joint but this only lasted about a month about 3 nights a week then once a week for a final month as I moved away for a job.

I then moved back home to parents at 18 and a half for 1 and a half years and had a mixed sleeping pattern, generally 2am again till I was 19 then 5 or 6am as we got dial up internet and I was always in chatrooms then played my Dreamcast online(Oh the days of Quake 3 and Phantasy Star Online) then tried structuring it again and moved out 3 months after I was 20 and sleep pattern went back to 2am again where it pretty much stuck for 2 years until a family member was murdered and I had to support my brother(as it was his fiance) so meant days without sleep, or bed at 7am on a sofa, then at 23 I was out of the loop so stayed awake till 6am most nights then got back till about 3 or 4am but still not that great and at same time gained weight(think sleep pattern was involved as my diet hadnt changed much and if anything was eating less!) then got a job so was up about 10am each day(which meant wasnt home often till around midnight) which meant I wasnt in bed till late as needed time to relax and think before bed.

Moved away at 24 and got a flat, felt a bit better and went back to a 3-4am sleep pattern which was fine till I got a flatmate with severe depression and I started gaining weight again and didnt sleep till 6am many nights.

Then at 25 went back to a 3am sleep pattern for about 3 months then moved to halls where I felt depressed a lot as felt old and didnt have the "spunk" to go clubbing as it felt past me. moved back to a house for summer and sleep patter became 6am again then moved to a massive house(or an old hotel to be precise) at 26 and sleep pattern again went back to 3 or 4am but felt tired all the time as if I was hungover. then some bad people moved in and were on drugs every night and smashing up house and I gained more and more weight and didnt sleep at all as they had all night parties or slept about 10am and failed the year because of this. I moved to a flat for summer and sleep pattern was mixed, as I felt tired all the time went to bed 3-6am(which is a contradiction)

Then moved back for uni to a tiny house and went to bed 3-5am again but woke up about 12-1 for about 2 months then went back to 6am nights in part because I moved to a bigger house and new flatmate liked to party but was normally quiet after midnight apart from talking and having music on mid range i.e loudish but sleep throughable.

Last week flatmate had an all night party so I couldnt sleep till 10am so woke up about 5pm so decided to stay up for 30 hours then woke up Sunday at 8am groggy and sickly but a bit flushed as was up early, then went to bed 10pm woke up 8am Monday, went to bed midnight woke up 10.30am Tuesday went to bed midnight woke up 11am.

Because I had a cold I felt bad but lost weight the last few days as havent felt as hungry due to waking up earlier, beene a bit more happier but knocked out by 6pm etc.

But I still dont have complete "spunk" to go out there and do things because I am too tired or relaxed by 6pm to the point by about 9pm feels like 4 or 5am used to be and I have to struggle to stay awake.

ReputationRep:
    Shorter post

I am 27 and had a normalish sleep pattern till a family murder at 22, where it went a bit haywire. Since I was 24 especially its often 5 or 6am I sleep and I have no pattern.

In the last 2-3 years sometimes if I stay up for like 30 hours I get back a normal sleep pattern from anything like 3 days to 2 weeks but then fall back into a bad night of sleep, often due to say a night out clubbing or a night when I play a movie or game I havent done in ages and get really into it so my brain craves more.

I stayed up for 30 hours on Friday-Saturday and have had a good sleeping pattern since but tired, how can I keep my sleep pattern good and not feel knocked out by early evening.

ReputationRep:
    not drink caffeine and go to bed at a reasonable time? you could try eating something just before bed, glucose suppresses cortisol which keeps you alert. and force yourself to wake up early, even if you don't want to - just getting up and turning on the light/opening the curtains might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Pan)
    not drink caffeine and go to bed at a reasonable time? you could try eating something just before bed, glucose suppresses cortisol which keeps you alert. and force yourself to wake up early, even if you don't want to - just getting up and turning on the light/opening the curtains might help.
    I dont really drink caffeine though as I dont want to get desensitized to it or for it to keep me awake.

Then again I drink soft drinks like cola that have caffeine in dont they?

Going to bed at a reasonable time is the entire point though as my brain doesnt send the right impuses to my body as such saying time for bed as much as it did when I was younger before I could barely stay wake past 3am and often past 1.30am was pushing it and if I did it would be slouched with a laptop on my lap pretty much clicking things and reading

ReputationRep:
    if the problem is going to sleep you can buy melatonin over the internet and take it about half an hour before going to bed, it's a hormone that makes you sleep. It's not licensed in britain yet, though, so it has to be shipped from the US, and if you take it at the wrong time it'll screw your sleep up even more. other than that, you can't do much other than try and eat and sleep at regular times, keep warm when you're trying to sleep and not go to bed on an empty stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Pan)
    if the problem is going to sleep you can buy melatonin over the internet and take it about half an hour before going to bed, it's a hormone that makes you sleep. It's not licensed in britain yet, though, so it has to be shipped from the US, and if you take it at the wrong time it'll screw your sleep up even more. other than that, you can't do much other than try and eat and sleep at regular times, keep warm when you're trying to sleep and not go to bed on an empty stomach.
    That might help, the only problem I see with it is that the problem with me sleeping is I like to be mentally prepared for sleep i.e my brain says "ok I am getting tired" and gradually my brain thinks its getting closer and closer to sleep time then at a set time says "ok then sleep time" and so does the motions to get to bed then it takes about 20-30 minutes to sleep as my imagination gets racing then slows down and the last few thoughts in my head create my nights dreams

Sadly these days I just feel tired almost utterly exhausted so my brain doesnt just say its time to start getting ready in a hour, 30 minutes etc and no matter what time I go to bed be it day or night it pretty much sleeps within seconds but finds it hard to stay asleep and because its not had chance to gradually power down the power back up it feels incomplete hence not wanting to go to bed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.