Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...
    Thinking about choosing this as one of my options next year, and was wandering about this Uni..
    It is not placed greatly on the League Tables??
    And I am hoping to take Economics or Law, I take Business Studies, Economics, Government and Politics and History
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, one of my best friends goes to Hertfordshire Uni to study business marketing and she's in her 2nd year. Apparently it is good for business, but not a lot else. Have you visited the uni on an open day? I have stayed in my friend's halls a couple of times, and have always met really friendly people but there has been a couple of incident in some of the halls, such as stabbings and fights. I wouldn't want to offend people by saying there seems to be quite an obvious reason why this is, but people from Herts Uni seem to be from around London and Essex, these sort of areas (I'm from Essex myself!) and a lot of like teenagers do have a gang mentality, when they are together, I think this would probably explain it. There's such a wide range of cultures there, which is good but can also be bad as they do seem to group together. It didn't seem overly chavvy when I went there, most people are your average sort of people, if that makes sense? Like not chavvy but not like indie or anything like that. The nightlife there isn't too great- there aren't any on site SU bars or anything, you have to get a coach to take you to places, such as to Watford, but it's not a big problem it just seems to mean that most people will get drunk in their halls and lurk around outside (and play bloody loud bhangra music til 4am! lol) I think you'd be best off trying to get in contact with people that are at the uni, or have gone there and get their viewpoint as I've only really visited it, and as someone who's used to an art school environment, I don't really have very positive views of most of the unis I've visited before.

ReputationRep:
    It's in an awfull area, theres like one shopping center near and nothing eles for miles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    Hi there, one of my best friends goes to Hertfordshire Uni to study business marketing and she's in her 2nd year. Apparently it is good for business, but not a lot else. Have you visited the uni on an open day? I have stayed in my friend's halls a couple of times, and have always met really friendly people but there has been a couple of incident in some of the halls, such as stabbings and fights. I wouldn't want to offend people by saying there seems to be quite an obvious reason why this is, but people from Herts Uni seem to be from around London and Essex, these sort of areas (I'm from Essex myself!) and a lot of like teenagers do have a gang mentality, when they are together, I think this would probably explain it. There's such a wide range of cultures there, which is good but can also be bad as they do seem to group together. It didn't seem overly chavvy when I went there, most people are your average sort of people, if that makes sense? Like not chavvy but not like indie or anything like that. The nightlife there isn't too great- there aren't any on site SU bars or anything, you have to get a coach to take you to places, such as to Watford, but it's not a big problem it just seems to mean that most people will get drunk in their halls and lurk around outside (and play bloody loud bhangra music til 4am! lol) I think you'd be best off trying to get in contact with people that are at the uni, or have gone there and get their viewpoint as I've only really visited it, and as someone who's used to an art school environment, I don't really have very positive views of most of the unis I've visited before.
    Thanks for the reply.. and taken on board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    It's in an awfull area, theres like one shopping center near and nothing eles for miles.
    Lool thanl you

ReputationRep:
    ha bishops stortford? what school did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's pretty true! it's literally like the galleria and asda is about 20 mins walk away.

ReputationRep:
    herts and essex, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Thats not quite true, St.Albans town center is a bus ride away pleanty of cafés and shops and st.albans is lovely. Hatfield galeria shopping center is a bit naff, and full of chavs at night, but its fine in the day. Plus it has the forum where loads of really good and famous bands play ie noisettes in march. The Uni is mostly new and its clean a pleasant, not sure about the people at the uni, not too high up on rankings, small library, lots of computers. Don't know about the people or halls.
    London is half an hour away.

ReputationRep:
    oh and a cinema, and the sports village which is wicked for sport if you like that kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    It's also highly rated for paramedic science

ReputationRep:
    What about Economics guys
    No ones answering my questions lol

ReputationRep:
    it's not THAT bad!!!
    i live about 10mins from Hatfield and catch my bus home from the Galleria everyday.
    St Albans and Welwyn Garden City are both 10ish minutes in alternate directions with their own shopping centres and array of shops-much better than Hatfield.Anyway,Londonis 30mins away-go to Oxford Street if you're tht fussed about shopping

The people aren't the most pleasant when walking alone,quite intimidating actually but the same can be said anywhere you go.
    The uni is well served by uno buses and from what i see each day (the buses all travel through the campus) it's very clean and looks very nice-so much so that it'll probably be my insurance choice

I wouldnt focus on rankings too much. Other things should also be considered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FestiveReece)
    it's not THAT bad!!!
    i live about 10mins from Hatfield and catch my bus home from the Galleria everyday.
    St Albans and Welwyn Garden City are both 10ish minutes in alternate directions with their own shopping centres and array of shops-much better than Hatfield.Anyway,Londonis 30mins away-go to Oxford Street if you're tht fussed about shopping

The people aren't the most pleasant when walking alone,quite intimidating actually but the same can be said anywhere you go.
    The uni is well served by uno buses and from what i see each day (the buses all travel through the campus) it's very clean and looks very nice-so much so that it'll probably be my insurance choice

I wouldnt focus on rankings too much. Other things should also be considered
    Thank you.. I fought a few responses were exaggerated.. but what other things should be considered(not my fault, in Year 12)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Hey guys...
    Thinking about choosing this as one of my options next year, and was wandering about this Uni..
    It is not placed greatly on the League Tables??
    And I am hoping to take Economics or Law, I take Business Studies, Economics, Government and Politics and History
    Thanks
    area is soooo boring, dont know about the uni. You have one rubbish club in hatfield. Areas surrounding include st albans which has batchwood and some bars but you will tire of this same routine after a few months. Watford I have heard is pretty live except repeating the same routine will also get boring. Also taxis are very expensive so travelling back from any of these places will cost upwards of 30 quid.

ReputationRep:
    'Extremely' for all your questions.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as it's near watford then yes, it is Chavingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    area is soooo boring, dont know about the uni. You have one rubbish club in hatfield. Areas surrounding include st albans which has batchwood and some bars but you will tire of this same routine after a few months. Watford I have heard is pretty live except repeating the same routine will also get boring. Also taxis are very expensive so travelling back from any of these places will cost upwards of 30 quid.
    Thanks for the reply..
    Do you have any idea what type of people(whether 'gangsta' chavs indie's or even Asians lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Thanks for the reply..
    Do you have any idea what type of people(whether 'gangsta' chavs indie's or even Asians lol)
    like everywhere you have your share of wannabee ghetto youths although the majority pose no harm bar trying to look intimidating. there is also a sizeable asian population nearby but i dont know why that would be a problem?

there is a large indie gathering aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    like everywhere you have your share of wannabee ghetto youths although the majority pose no harm bar trying to look intimidating. there is also a sizeable asian population nearby but i dont know why that would be a problem?

there is a large indie gathering aswell
    Lool yeah the sizeable Asian population would not be a problem.. but the wannabee ghetto youths will be
    Not too sure about Hertfordshire anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.