Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, we go to Herts, its awesome, people winge about the lack of clubs but actually most unis which are less than 100 years old are in the suburbs, and are about 3 miles away from any clubs! We have good facilities, the LRC is fookin massive... and we have 2 more. We have this made-up ward for healthcare students with all these beds and machines and plastic people, its one of the largest in Europe. We have Scouting for Girls and the Noisettes coming to the forum in the next few weeks, the drinks in the SU are not as expensive as most clubs around London. And the blacks, Indians and Chinese tend to only hang around in the day and go to bed early for all you racists, so no you won't get mugged by a gang of n*****s in the LRC! As its not a big place Hatfield is relatively safe and quiet compared to most major cities. And, having been brought up in Oxfordshre and Cambridgeshire, it came as quite a relief for us living in a town that wasn't up itself and where you don't have to pay £10 to dance to crappy club music after midnight! HA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    Hey, we go to Herts, its awesome, people winge about the lack of clubs but actually most unis which are less than 100 years old are in the suburbs, and are about 3 miles away from any clubs! We have good facilities, the LRC is fookin massive... and we have 2 more. We have this made-up ward for healthcare students with all these beds and machines and plastic people, its one of the largest in Europe. We have Scouting for Girls and the Noisettes coming to the forum in the next few weeks, the drinks in the SU are not as expensive as most clubs around London. And the blacks, Indians and Chinese tend to only hang around in the day and go to bed early for all you racists, so no you won't get mugged by a gang of n*****s in the LRC! As its not a big place Hatfield is relatively safe and quiet compared to most major cities. And, having been brought up in Oxfordshre and Cambridgeshire, it came as quite a relief for us living in a town that wasn't up itself and where you don't have to pay £10 to dance to crappy club music after midnight! HA!
    Lool thanks for that.. good reply..
    Do they accept any type of person though(even if grades not the best)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Lool thanks for that.. good reply..
    I couldn't tell you cos I'm doing Nursing so entry requirements are pretty low wherever you go, and half the time you don't need A-levels at all. Look in the prospectus. I think most courses ask for 200-300 UCAS points, about average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    I couldn't tell you cos I'm doing Nursing so entry requirements are pretty low wherever you go, and half the time you don't need A-levels at all. Look in the prospectus. I think most courses ask for 200-300 UCAS points, about average.
    Lol ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone stop hating on Hertfordshire please?
    thanks

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisa_D)
    small library
    It was the largest (college lane) in the country a few years back, not sure if it still is.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...
    Thinking about choosing this as one of my options next year, and was wandering about this Uni..
    It is not placed greatly on the League Tables??
    And I am hoping to take Economics or Law, I take Business Studies, Economics, Government and Politics and History
    Thanks
    check out the stickies in the economics forum.
    Why are you interested in Hertfordshire?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all the trolls, i've been at the uni since 2006 so know as much as there is to know.

Hey guys...
    Thinking about choosing this as one of my options next year, and was wandering about this Uni..
    It is not placed greatly on the League Tables??
    And I am hoping to take Economics or Law, I take Business Studies, Economics, Government and Politics and History
    Thanks
    The League Tables can be ignored, they're swayed by bribes. Saying this Herts was 45th in the top 500 the last i heard and all done on merit.

The best person to talk to about Economics is MandaJR86 as i believe she's doing it or something closely link to it.

Thanks for the reply..
    Do you have any idea what type of people(whether 'gangsta' chavs indie's or even Asians lol)
    As with any Uni that isn't Oxbridge there is a wide range of people who go to Herts, you can quite literally find a group of people who suit your tastes. Granted there are groups who are more intimidating, foreign students stick together, gangsta types stick together etc. but unless you're looking for them they aren't a major factor in your day-to-day life.

From my own experience and that of people who have come to the uni, or been to interviews, Herts set a target grade for you to get on the course and will often lower it if you have a good interview with them (unless ofcourse its a course that is always heavily applied to.)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and i'll get back to you asap

ReputationRep:
    So how is the nightlife? So i gather it's not that busy in the general surrounding area, but it's not that huge a issue is it? What's the closest "live" nightlife? And how good is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    Hi there, one of my best friends goes to Hertfordshire Uni to study business marketing and she's in her 2nd year. Apparently it is good for business, but not a lot else. Have you visited the uni on an open day? I have stayed in my friend's halls a couple of times, and have always met really friendly people but there has been a couple of incident in some of the halls, such as stabbings and fights. I wouldn't want to offend people by saying there seems to be quite an obvious reason why this is, but people from Herts Uni seem to be from around London and Essex, these sort of areas (I'm from Essex myself!) and a lot of like teenagers do have a gang mentality, when they are together, I think this would probably explain it. There's such a wide range of cultures there, which is good but can also be bad as they do seem to group together. It didn't seem overly chavvy when I went there, most people are your average sort of people, if that makes sense? Like not chavvy but not like indie or anything like that. The nightlife there isn't too great- there aren't any on site SU bars or anything, you have to get a coach to take you to places, such as to Watford, but it's not a big problem it just seems to mean that most people will get drunk in their halls and lurk around outside (and play bloody loud bhangra music til 4am! lol) I think you'd be best off trying to get in contact with people that are at the uni, or have gone there and get their viewpoint as I've only really visited it, and as someone who's used to an art school environment, I don't really have very positive views of most of the unis I've visited before.
    I don't have any interest in this topic and only read it because I'm bored but I've got to say, that was one of the best answers even. I've never been to Hertfordshire or the uni but I feel like I know it after reading that - good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I visit my boyfriend there. Theres alot of diversity there, his room mates wrecked the kitchen though and stole the microwave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FestiveReece)
    Can everyone stop hating on Hertfordshire please?
    thanks

LOL
    You beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    So how is the nightlife? So i gather it's not that busy in the general surrounding area, but it's not that huge a issue is it? What's the closest "live" nightlife? And how good is it?
    The closest "live" nightlife is on campus, since the opening of The Forum, many top live acts come to perform such as Scouting for Girls on the 6th Feb followed by Scott Baio from Vampire Weekend, Tinchy Stryder 10th March, The Noisettes on the 20th March and Mr Hudson on April 5th.

Although the venue is much bigger than the last place, having spent a lot of time in the Font, the new place can't compare because it feels far too crowded. A friend of mine said that at the Font he could away from the group he came with and find someone else he knew within a minute, in the Forum there is too much of a crowd. You have to experience it to really know whether its your thing or not i feel.

We also have the campus pub, the Elehouse which i havn't been to since its move downstairs.

Off campus isn't really heard about that much but there are a few pubs near the uni (The Harrier and The Cavendish) also theres Bar 12 and Base in Hatfield itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    It's in an awfull area, theres like one shopping center near and nothing eles for miles.
    nothing else for miles???? London is 20 min by train and you are at kings cross it takes roughly 30 min to get to "downtown" London. Stevenage got a good shopping area, Watford has a pretty big shopping centre, bit further away you got hemel hempstead which has a good shopping area as well. I'll admit that hatfield itself doesn't have it all but you got all you need around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    check out the stickies in the economics forum.
    Why are you interested in Hertfordshire?
    Thanks for the reply, I guess I am just trying to think of a good back upp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoktaUH)
    Ignore all the trolls, i've been at the uni since 2006 so know as much as there is to know.

The League Tables can be ignored, they're swayed by bribes. Saying this Herts was 45th in the top 500 the last i heard and all done on merit.

The best person to talk to about Economics is MandaJR86 as i believe she's doing it or something closely link to it.

As with any Uni that isn't Oxbridge there is a wide range of people who go to Herts, you can quite literally find a group of people who suit your tastes. Granted there are groups who are more intimidating, foreign students stick together, gangsta types stick together etc. but unless you're looking for them they aren't a major factor in your day-to-day life.

From my own experience and that of people who have come to the uni, or been to interviews, Herts set a target grade for you to get on the course and will often lower it if you have a good interview with them (unless ofcourse its a course that is always heavily applied to.)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and i'll get back to you asap
    Thank you so much for the reply, and lol if I have any questions your my number one contact..

ReputationRep:
    Lol oh dear.
    I'm considering Herts, on grade points and location - soon to go to an open day, but reading this thread has swayed me slightly... :|

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I guess I am just trying to think of a good back upp
    I see. What is your bliss uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)
    Lol oh dear.
    I'm considering Herts, on grade points and location - soon to go to an open day, but reading this thread has swayed me slightly... :|
    no worries :P I'm glad I went to herts! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    no worries :P I'm glad I went to herts! :woo:
    Yeah I spoke to someone who's gone to Herts, from my 6th form, and she said it's really great, good area etc. (:

I, sadly, had a dream last night that I didn't manage to get the De Havilland accomodation, so had to share a bathroom or something. Woke me up all panicky XD

Definately gonna go on an open day though xP

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.