Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    I see. What is your bliss uni?
    Surrey..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Surrey..
    I see. They could be a stretch as you don't have Maths A-level.
    What are your predicted AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)
    Yeah I spoke to someone who's gone to Herts, from my 6th form, and she said it's really great, good area etc. (:

I, sadly, had a dream last night that I didn't manage to get the De Havilland accomodation, so had to share a bathroom or something. Woke me up all panicky XD

definitely gonna go on an open day though xP
    An en-suite isn't the be all and end all. You share a bathroom at your family's house don't you? Plus in your second and third years unless you're super rich you'll have to share a bathroom with your housemates :p:

ReputationRep:
    I see. They could be a stretch as you don't have Maths A-level.
    What are your predicted AS grades?
    I know thats what I was thinking..
    If your talking about the predictions I recieved in September thaat was D,D,C,C but I think and hope will get better
    What other good University would you recommend for me if they don't accept because I don't take Maths..and what Subjects?
    Sorry if too many questions, can ignore if its a problem

ReputationRep:
    I know thats what I was thinking..
    If your talking about the predictions I recieved in September thaat was D,D,C,C but I think and hope will get better
    So you had AS predictions before you even started the course?
    :confused:

What other good University would you recommend for me if they don't accept because I don't take Maths..and what Subjects?
    Well:
    1) have 5 initial UCAS choices.
    2) you should apply for the subject you want to at uni!
    3) At this stage you are still more than capable of getting offers from many of the 3rd post TAELT unis and all the 4th post TAELT unis.
    4)You can afford some stretch unis like Surrey in your 5.
    5) TAELT 2010 shows that most of the 3rd and 4th post unis were in extra and clearing in 2009.
    6) Don't think it that hard to get offers at that level. Issue is more about getting the grades required by the offers.
    7) Once you get your AS grades you will have a better idea of what A2 grades you are heading for. Then work out what A2 grades you expect:
    i)in best case scenario
    ii)in worse case scenario.
    Then can work out what unis you should apply to.

Sorry if too many questions, can ignore if its a problem
    You are not asking too many questions.
    Honestly

ReputationRep:
    So you had AS predictions before you even started the course?
    :confused:

Well:
    1) have 5 initial UCAS choices.
    2) you should apply for the subject you want to at uni!
    3) At this stage you are still more than capable of getting offers from many of the 3rd post TAELT unis and all the 4th post TAELT unis.
    4)You can afford some stretch unis like Surrey in your 5.
    5) TAELT 2010 shows that most of the 3rd and 4th post unis were in extra and clearing in 2009.
    6) Don't think it that hard to get offers at that level. Issue is more about getting the grades required by the offers.
    7) Once you get your AS grades you will have a better idea of what A2 grades you are heading for. Then work out what A2 grades you expect:
    i)in best case scenario
    ii)in worse case scenario.
    Then can work out what unis you should apply to.

You are not asking too many questions.
    Honestly
    Thank you.. yeah they haven't given us any other predictions
    Where do I get a lists of 3rd post TAELT unis and all the 4th post TAELT unis.
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Where do I get a lists of 3rd post TAELT unis and all the 4th post TAELT unis.
    Thanks again
    check out the economics forum.
    (links for many of the threads are in my sig).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoktaUH)
    An en-suite isn't the be all and end all. You share a bathroom at your family's house don't you? Plus in your second and third years unless you're super rich you'll have to share a bathroom with your housemates :p:
    THIS.
    DON'T STAY AT DE HAV PEOPLE!
    I'm just kidding, seriously it's not that bad. But if I could choose again I wouldn't choose it. I suppose it depends on the people you are shoved in a flat with as to whether or not you like it.
    I advise people to look around acommodation before you make a decision... I didn't... and that's where I went wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)

I, sadly, had a dream last night that I didn't manage to get the De Havilland accomodation, so had to share a bathroom or something. Woke me up all panicky XD
    You're joking, right? I live on College Lane, nearly all rooms have a washbasin. People on De Hav seem to think that College Lane is all covered in poo or something just because we don't have a bath each. But in my flat there hasn't been a queue for the loo yet, never been a queue to wash, bath, or brush teeth. A couple of times theres been two people wanting to shower at the same time, but thats just our house - everyone prefers to shower rather than bath and some people are weird and wash their clothes in the shower as well, but thats it. Really not as bad as everyone makes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    You're joking, right? I live on College Lane, nearly all rooms have a washbasin. People on De Hav seem to think that College Lane is all covered in poo or something just because we don't have a bath each. But in my flat there hasn't been a queue for the loo yet, never been a queue to wash, bath, or brush teeth. A couple of times theres been two people wanting to shower at the same time, but thats just our house - everyone prefers to shower rather than bath and some people are weird and wash their clothes in the shower as well, but thats it. Really not as bad as everyone makes out.
    Yeah okay I understand. Thing is I'm all weird/phobic about germs and stuff - even in my own home. xD
    I'd get used to it if I had to, I reckon x3

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does the campus with the nursing department look like an old psychiatric hospital?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...
    Thinking about choosing this as one of my options next year, and was wandering about this Uni..
    It is not placed greatly on the League Tables??
    And I am hoping to take Economics or Law, I take Business Studies, Economics, Government and Politics and History
    Thanks
    The location isn't great, Hatfield's a dodgy place with not much going on. There's a cinema, mcdonalds and a few shops (not very good ones) in the galleria which is nearby. Having said that, there are bus routes to places like stevenage and st albans so there's plenty of shopping areas you can travel to.

There's the Forum which is brilliant, and has different kinds of music, as well as a student union bar. There's also a sports village with gym and swimming pool.

ReputationRep:
    My friends go there and I'm thinking of going there too, I went to the open day yesterday and I must say I'm impressed. Some of the College Lane campus does seem a bit old, but only compared to the De Havilland campus which is sweeeeeeeet. I'll probably plump for the De Hav accommodation if I do end up going herts, because it's next to a large swimming pool, a great gym and other sports facilities, it's also very modern and nice, you also get your own en suite in each room there. That said, I'd have no problem staying in Telford.

The teaching facilities seem fine for what I've seen, which is the engineering department and the computer science department.

The people at the university seem fine, very nice in fact, I've had friends at the uni all of last year, so I've visited a lot and met new people there. Everyone seems very nice, no actual chavs enrolled at the uni that I've seen.
    Though the area is an absolute **** hole, make no mistake being out by yourself later on isn't very smart, if you're with friends you should be fine though.
    Last time I was there my friend got robbed for his bag of chips, his nose broken and his girlfriend was even punched, we saw a massive fight outside the galleria and I've heard of stabbings on the De Hav campus, though that could've been anyone in a drunken argument and is rare either way.

Overall I'd say it's decent, well worth a look and in my opinion the amount of UCAS points asked for the courses there is was too low.

The people are basically normal people too, there's a great mix and no ********s at the uni(that I've met).

Also a big plus is it's near London (which is no great shakes, lived here all my life and it's overpriced and average at best) and the forum and union bar is quite nice. Forum is great because it also has lots of live shows, if you're into that, on top of that it has great club nights that vary a lot.

...There's also a cheeky kebab, burger & chip shop tucked behind the union bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ19)
    Though the area is an absolute **** hole, make no mistake being out by yourself later on isn't very smart, if you're with friends you should be fine though.
    Last time I was there my friend got robbed for his bag of chips, his nose broken and his girlfriend was even punched, we saw a massive fight outside the galleria and I've heard of stabbings on the De Hav campus, though that could've been anyone in a drunken argument and is rare either way.

Overall I'd say it's decent, well worth a look and in my opinion the amount of UCAS points asked for the courses there is was too low.
    I guess I have to agree with you on that :p: Hatfield isn't the best area around really, with a town centre that is in GREAT need of renewal.. but I must say that Hatfield isn't particularly more dangerous than others, what I'm trying to say really is that you can get robbed, get your nose broken or punched in any city. You got drunken people everywhere. So it's not like if you'd go out in Hatfield at night you are bound to get robbed or anything.

There was a stabbing incident last year at the de Havilland campus. Although I didn't see the actual stabbing, there was a large group standing close together, people started screaming and someone got dragged out of the group by other people, only when like 4 police cars arrived I realised that someone was actually stabbed in the stomach/chest. Such incidents are of course very rare and again this could happen anywhere, sadly.

Regarding the UCAS points, Hertfordshire Uni has been raising most of the UCAS requirements for most courses this academic year and I think they are planning to do the same next year. Trying to raise their standards that way :P Hertfordshire is still a quite 'new' university and if it would set really high UCAS points from the beginning people might not take it too seriously I guess.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have gathered in my 2 weeks at Herts so far is that the area has a lot more going for it than I thought it would.

First of all on campus, the facilities on offer are more than decent. College Lane Campus looks a little run down in areas but still has most of what you need. The LRC is quite an impressive facility, not overly impressed with the computers in there but then again I'm a Computer Science student so would take quite a bit to impress me. The accommodation I'm staying in is Roberts Way, it's basic but very liveable. I've been fortunate in that I've been landed with housemates I really get on with and are making the most of what we have and having a laugh in the process but I know a few people in other houses where the people have hardly said a word to each other, although it is early in the year still.

The Forum, for an on campus venue, is excellent. Sure it's no Wembley or O2 Arena but I'm quite sure it will provide me with a few memorable nights (for the right reasons) in the next 3/4 years. The club nights in the forum aren't really my cup of tea but chance are something will impress you. The bar next door (Ele House) is also a nice touch. My housemate and friends have been there a few times, for the pub quiz and general drinking and had a pleasant time. The food is reasonably priced too, nothing special but makes a change from beans on toast.

I haven't had much need to go to the DeHav campus just yet although I have been a couple of times. Looks a much more modern facility than College Lane and has a different feel about it. The sports facilities there are impressive and once my knee has fully recovered from a recent operation I fully intend on using the facilities on offer.

The transport links in the area is something that has pleasantly surprised me. The regular free shuttle bus between the campus' seems fairly reliable from the few times I have needed to use it and from what friends have told me the local buses are much the same, if a little expensive, but then again I'm a northerner so I don't pay £2.50 for a car, never mind bus fare.

Hatfield itself is the thing that lets the uni down most of all. I have been to countless cities/towns in this country watching my football team and I usually get a reasonable feel as to what a town is like and I have been to far worse places than Hatfield(Luton springs to mind) but it is a town that could do with quite a bit of regeneration which in the current financial climate probably isn't likely in the near future.

The galleria isn't a bad little shopping centre but it is certainly no Lakeside/Bluewater/Meadowhall...etc. A nice place just a short walk away, though. The old town centre however is somewhere I probably won't have much will to visit too often. The shops there are not the best and if it wasn't for ASDA and a HSBC I don't think I'd need to head back to that area again.

As I said I've only been here two weeks and it has been a very hectic fortnight but from what I have seen and experienced so far I think I am likely to enjoy my time at Herts uni and in Hatfield but it definitely isn't the sort of place I could ever see myself staying for any long period of time.

I would encourage any prospective students to visit the area before choosing Herts or discarding it as an option. It's not a uni for everybody but for those who it does appeal to then the chances are you would have a great time here.

(Original post by JMJ19)

The people at the university seem fine, very nice in fact, I've had friends at the uni all of last year, so I've visited a lot and met new people there. Everyone seems very nice, no actual chavs enrolled at the uni that I've seen.
    Don't chat **** mate.
    Make no mistakes, I am not saying Hatfield is a nice place, it is just generic working class new town, nothing more, nothing less. However, to say you wouldn't want to walk around at night on your own is being a bit disengenuous. In the many many years I have lived there I never felt unsafe walking around at night, it is full of ****munchers but it isn't a place that you are scared to walk around at night.

...though thank **** I have just moved away to York two days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ19)
    The people are basically normal people too
    Hahahah I love it. I think it's the 'basically' that cracks me up.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out, that the stabbing was by a UNIVERSITY OF BEDFORDSHIRE student, on a UH student.

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard that the majority of people living on Dehav are all asians. Is this actually true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_lock)
    Ive heard that the majority of people living on Dehav are all asians. Is this actually true?
    nope, you will find asians living all over hatfield and on both campuses. De Hav is definitely not known for the many asians or anything like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.