Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_lock)
    I actually have more black friends than anything else and im not racist. I have spoken to a girl on here that lived on dehav and said the exact same thing as I saw. She is white and got put with 3 black girls that she dont get along with banging out their ghetto music.
    Simply put, if you don't get along with black people, don't apply for De Hav, simple as that, cos' the majority of black people at UH are at De Hav.

Apply for College Lane.

ReputationRep:
    Hertfordshire is one of the places to go for uni.
    If I was to go I'm thinking of applying for De hav for accommodation. As I was reading through the post I just want to check when people say asian people, would you say there's many oriental asians there? - Chinese etc or many chinese/oriental people in general at hertfordshire uni?

I'm chinese myself and live in a small town where theres hardly no asians here and i'd love to meet some people who have similar ethnic background to me

As for white, black and middle east asians/non oriental asians (hopefully politically right ), its doesnt bother me as i general get along with people easily which ever race they are from

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Open day yesterday and i'd liked it.
    I noticed the mix of Students, White English, Black, Other Europeans and quite a few oriental asians.
    I liked this as Ive been away travelling for a year and think its great to mix with different cultures, will be especially cool to mix with some more chinese as I was in for a month and Singapore for 6 months and Iive been trying to learn Chinese.

Piao Liang!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiminator)
    I went to the Open day yesterday and i'd liked it.
    I noticed the mix of Students, White English, Black, Other Europeans and quite a few oriental asians.
    I liked this as Ive been away travelling for a year and think its great to mix with different cultures, will be especially cool to mix with some more chinese as I was in for a month and Singapore for 6 months and Iive been trying to learn Chinese.

Piao Liang!
    x
    Hey! ^_^

I went to the open day yesterday too I think the place is nice. Although I didn't see many oriental asians just the odd couple. What subject are you applying at Herts?

ReputationRep:
    went to the open day yesterday!great!soo much diversity!i love it!!

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying business with marketing what about you!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wonganout)
    Hey! ^_^

I went to the open day yesterday too I think the place is nice. Although I didn't see many oriental asians just the odd couple. What subject are you applying at Herts?
    I will be studying business with marketing what about you!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I have been a member on TSR for nearly two years now and I have never seen so much negativity about herts university.

The University is very diverse, generally speaking, about 40% is black/asian and 60% is white. That is more diverse than MANY other university who have a clear white majority. I have nothing against any race but you guys are just ranting on about nothing. I have never had any problems living on campus and if there are any problems in your flat you can either ring security if you have any noise problems with flat mates and if you feel totally uncomfortable you can always ask to be moved to another flat, this is of course under the condition that there is a place or that someone else would like to swap.

Yea guys. I appreciate that you don't want to be "on your own" but this isn't bloody chinatown... That 60% of white people in terms of numbers that is approx 5400 people (as some of you seem to need them so badly I'm guessing you're from 'tup north, yes, i can say that as I am white. I mean this is 2011 not the 1600's - why is everyone being so Xenophobic!?) surely five thousand white people is enough!?

Ok, ok, ok (Leo Getz) My point is that if you have a problem with blacks and Asians and see the need to put people into groups maybe you shouldn't go to Herts Uni, maybe Oxford in-stead (Oh and by the way around 50% of students in every uni are foreign so have fun!). My sister went to the London College of Fashion and so of course there are many foreign people, most of them east asian, in fact most of her class! If you do go to Herts uni it will be no worse, chav-infested, or have more foreign or coloured people of any kind then most uni's! My brother is a Brunel Uni and he might as well have a Nazi uniform on at home but he gets on very well with the other students.

So personally I think you are all assuming that UH is full of chavs or whatever. Well it's not, CHAV's ( and I'm Massively stereotyping here) don't generally go to uni anyway, they stay in their council houses, have too many kids too young and steal from Greggs/ Simmons... with their triple iCandy buggies paid for by our taxes (trolling a little here, i know).

Sorry for the rant, but I think it was overdue considering how long this thread is and why some people care more about the colour of someone's skin then their actual course. Oh and FYI if it's a language thing (which I partially agree on) as in you think loads of Asians will only speak, well, Asian languages, you have to have a good fluency in English to be accepted on any uni course.

Peace out :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric_herts)
    Yea guys. I appreciate that you don't want to be "on your own" but this isn't bloody chinatown... That 60% of white people in terms of numbers that is approx 5400 people (as some of you seem to need them so badly I'm guessing you're from 'tup north, yes, i can say that as I am white. I mean this is 2011 not the 1600's - why is everyone being so Xenophobic!?) surely five thousand white people is enough!?

Ok, ok, ok (Leo Getz) My point is that if you have a problem with blacks and Asians and see the need to put people into groups maybe you shouldn't go to Herts Uni, maybe Oxford in-stead (Oh and by the way around 50% of students in every uni are foreign so have fun!). My sister went to the London College of Fashion and so of course there are many foreign people, most of them east asian, in fact most of her class! If you do go to Herts uni it will be no worse, chav-infested, or have more foreign or coloured people of any kind then most uni's! My brother is a Brunel Uni and he might as well have a Nazi uniform on at home but he gets on very well with the other students.

So personally I think you are all assuming that UH is full of chavs or whatever. Well it's not, CHAV's ( and I'm Massively stereotyping here) don't generally go to uni anyway, they stay in their council houses, have too many kids too young and steal from Greggs/ Simmons... with their triple iCandy buggies paid for by our taxes (trolling a little here, i know).

Sorry for the rant, but I think it was overdue considering how long this thread is and why some people care more about the colour of someone's skin then their actual course. Oh and FYI if it's a language thing (which I partially agree on) as in you think loads of Asians will only speak, well, Asian languages, you have to have a good fluency in English to be accepted on any uni course.

Peace out :P
    that right there is a solid answer!!!

ReputationRep:
    haha nice answer. I'm a Chinese and I speak good English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrovison12)
    that right there is a solid answer!!!
    I agree with eric as well really. People seem to get the idea that hatfield is some sort of chav ghetto where everyone gets knifed and god knows what else.

People need to get over themselves, there is nothing special about hatfield

(Original post by bellameow)
    haha nice answer. I'm a Chinese and I speak good English
    Welcome to the forums! =D

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pop_tart

Few more months to Herts Am so excited. Entering Year 3 multimedia design. Just need to finish up my visa stuff. It is so worrisome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pop_tart

Few more months to Herts Am so excited. Entering Year 3 multimedia design. Just need to finish up my visa stuff. It is so worrisome.
    Sounds great! I wish you all the best ^^ I'm starting year 3 Linguistics coming september

ReputationRep:
    Herts is ,my insurance choice but I would really prefer to go there now! I rang them and they said they can't be my firm and if I really want to go I would have to withdraw my offers and then go through clearing -_- and even then there is no certainty that I would get a place on my course.
    Seemed like a nice university when I went,the campus is great,facilities are brilliant. I went with a friend who wants to study law and the course looks amazing,so interesting! If I end up going there I am actually going to change my course and do a Joint Honors with Law.

Btw,don't worry about the 'ghetto' youths! Looks can be deceiving! If they were really ghetto they wouldn't be in University! They would be on the streets hustling or in prison!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pop_tart

Hi,

I'm just starting this course in September,

Is there a thread about the course so I can ask some questions etc?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there is a thread about this. Is hard for me to comment also because I studied 3 years in my country.. Should be very different in UK.

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post here so be kind

University of Hertfordshire is awesome and i love in here. The location is pretty safe for anyone irrespective of race and origin. Even in the middle of the night u could run to Asda to get supplies and it’s safe.

We have all the facilities that a student would require during its stay. Library, gym, refectory, Huge lecture halls etc. on both the campuses (Dehav, College lane). Lecturers are very helpful as well.

The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the racial discomfort. You will always see small groups of people of the same race hanging out together. It’s just ridiculous. Students from the entire world come here to UK to study in a multi-cultural environment but u would rarely see anyone even make an effort to go talk to someone from a different origin. Chinese/Nigerians/Pakistanis/Indians/Arabs like making groups of their own and will make no effort to interact or even try to know other cultures. This kind of hostility and resentment has resulted most British and EU students to completely avoid us foreigners :mad:. Most EU students are scared to even say Hello! As if we are going to pounce on them. There are a few students who have been in UK for years and haven’t even spoken to their British classmates.

I personally try to strike up a conversation with some non-asians once in a while but it’s too little too late. Anyways this is just my personal observation and i cannot speak for everyone. If this doesn’t bother you then you are going to have a gala time here.

Peace out.
    ps. I dont bite

ReputationRep:
    its one of the top uni's for digital arts just thought id mention that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaz560)
    its one of the top uni's for digital arts just thought id mention that.
    (Original post by According2me)
    This is my first post here so be kind

The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the racial discomfort. You will always see small groups of people of the same race hanging out together. It’s just ridiculous. Students from the entire world come here to UK to study in a multi-cultural environment but u would rarely see anyone even make an effort to go talk to someone from a different origin. Chinese/Nigerians/Pakistanis/Indians/Arabs like making groups of their own and will make no effort to interact or even try to know other cultures. This kind of hostility and resentment has resulted most British and EU students to completely avoid us foreigners :mad:. Most EU students are scared to even say Hello! As if we are going to pounce on them. There are a few students who have been in UK for years and haven’t even spoken to their British classmates.
    and also, im not in herts yet, (starting in september grades providing..) but ive only ever been in what you would call average london schools and they are pretty multi-cultural. i find people just take comfort being with their "own". especially if they havnt lived in this country for long. dont take offence, i can see why people would feel put out or feel discomfort with them grouping up. see it that also its not JUST different cultures grouping up, think back to school days when you had the "geeks" all sticking together, the "cool kids" all together etc. human nature to group up with people just like you. Just make an effort to be nice to anyone and everyone you meet even if they dont return it, its no problem of yours if they have a chip on the shoulder.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that we find peace and comfort among people of the same origin but we at university level things should change and not be like how it was in school.

I am an Indian and if i wanted to group up with other Indians i would have stayed back home One of the main reasons to study in a multicultural environment is networking and learning about cultural differences. Even the university halls keep British and EU students away from foreigners. Lol

Peace out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.