Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by According2me)
    This is my first post here so be kind

University of Hertfordshire is awesome and i love in here. The location is pretty safe for anyone irrespective of race and origin. Even in the middle of the night u could run to Asda to get supplies and it’s safe.

We have all the facilities that a student would require during its stay. Library, gym, refectory, Huge lecture halls etc. on both the campuses (Dehav, College lane). Lecturers are very helpful as well.

The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the racial discomfort. You will always see small groups of people of the same race hanging out together. It’s just ridiculous. Students from the entire world come here to UK to study in a multi-cultural environment but u would rarely see anyone even make an effort to go talk to someone from a different origin. Chinese/Nigerians/Pakistanis/Indians/Arabs like making groups of their own and will make no effort to interact or even try to know other cultures. This kind of hostility and resentment has resulted most British and EU students to completely avoid us foreigners :mad:. Most EU students are scared to even say Hello! As if we are going to pounce on them. There are a few students who have been in UK for years and haven’t even spoken to their British classmates.

I personally try to strike up a conversation with some non-asians once in a while but it’s too little too late. Anyways this is just my personal observation and i cannot speak for everyone. If this doesn’t bother you then you are going to have a gala time here.

Peace out.
    ps. I dont bite
    Hi there! Welcome to TSR

So let me get this straight, you are an international student and you are going to start coming academic year but you have came over here already?

I was at the student centre the other day and there were LOADS of Chinese students (or from another Asian country but im 90% sure they were Chinese, no offence to anyone ^^ ), I just wondered why a lot of international students move in so early already? Do you guys do some foundation programme over the summer?

Anyway, it's nice to have someone else to help out! I have been around here for a while which you will probably notice when you scroll through all the threads lol
    If you got any questions you can always ask me as well

"The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the racial discomfort. You will always see small groups of people of the same race hanging out together. It’s just ridiculous."
    - Absolutely see where you are coming from and I agree. I'm doing linguistics and most 'international' students are either european or chinese actually and I often try to make converation because im interested in their background you know and just like to meet new people with completely different life experiences but most tend to stick together in their own little groups :/ Like you said, hertfordshire puts all international students together in the accommodation which gives them less chance to 'mix' with the brits. Maybe we should pass this on to the student union

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    herts and essex, why?
    I always thought Essex was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    Hi there! Welcome to TSR

So let me get this straight, you are an international student and you are going to start coming academic year but you have came over here already?

I was at the student centre the other day and there were LOADS of Chinese students (or from another Asian country but im 90% sure they were Chinese, no offence to anyone ^^ ), I just wondered why a lot of international students move in so early already? Do you guys do some foundation programme over the summer?

Anyway, it's nice to have someone else to help out! I have been around here for a while which you will probably notice when you scroll through all the threads lol
    If you got any questions you can always ask me as well

"The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the racial discomfort. You will always see small groups of people of the same race hanging out together. It’s just ridiculous."
    - Absolutely see where you are coming from and I agree. I'm doing linguistics and most 'international' students are either european or chinese actually and I often try to make converation because im interested in their background you know and just like to meet new people with completely different life experiences but most tend to stick together in their own little groups :/ Like you said, hertfordshire puts all international students together in the accommodation which gives them less chance to 'mix' with the brits. Maybe we should pass this on to the student union
    Hey

Ya i came earlier because they made me do an English foundation even though i had 7.5 in ielts and first class in English for my grads. Well apparently for University peeps. Anyone from a "non" English speaking third world country doesn’t know English even if it has been there first language since kinder garden :confused:

And as far as Chinese students are concerned i have 96 Chinese students in my class of 106...do the math :eek: however most of them are really nice and friendly, but they will never speak in English. Even in class

Most of them even pay to websites and people back home to do their assignments. Everyone knows about this but nothing can be done. Management can’t afford to lose the millions of pounds :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by According2me)
    Hey

Most of them even pay to websites and people back home to do their assignments. Everyone knows about this but nothing can be done.
    explain further please...isnt that illegal and cheating...then whats the whole point of going to uni??almost all of my Chinese friends are exceptionally hard workers and due to their intensive educational background back in china... they're quite clever...so im quite shocked to hear that some pay people to do their assignments..

ReputationRep:
    hiya i'm new to this and i havent seen much on what herts are like on grades, like if you didnt meet the offer by a grade, would they still accept you?

ReputationRep:
    It's getting more strict as the years go by, i think you have to meet them now or you won't get it.

Places are tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrovison12)
    explain further please...isnt that illegal and cheating...then whats the whole point of going to uni??almost all of my Chinese friends are exceptionally hard workers and due to their intensive educational background back in china... they're quite clever...so im quite shocked to hear that some pay people to do their assignments..
    It's very illegal! I must say I have heard different stories as well. I have had three korean students in my class who were really hard working actually and really knew the subject, even though they didn't talk that much to the rest of the class but I have also heard stories of asian students who hardly speak any english .

(Original post by ayaa)
    hiya i'm new to this and i havent seen much on what herts are like on grades, like if you didnt meet the offer by a grade, would they still accept you?
    well just take it that if you miss your offer you won't get in because it's most likely going to be like that! Last year many people didn't get in just because they missed their offer by a few points.

Like the entity said, places are tight, they can afford to say no to people who don't meet their offer :/

All the best!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.