Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in getting a place in uni?
    Basically, I'm a year 13 student, taking another year of college after this, then applying for uni. All going well, I should get some decent/good grades. However, the hard part: I'm a person of no personality. I don't just sit at home and work, I sit at home and do NOTHING. I have no interests or hobbies, nor do I volunteer.
    How important are extra curriculum activities in regards to getting a place in university? If they are important, am I best picking some up now (though I dont really have any passion for anything) or not bothering? If I should, what would you recommend? I know I'm asking this like a year in advance, but I dont wanna get to September and realize I have no chance in getting into uni and having to pick up a dozen 'hobbies' or whatever.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the activity and the course. Playing football probably won't be of much help to get you onto a History course, but volunteering at a care home or something would be crucial for a Medicine application. Generally relevant extra curricular activities are advantageous, but irrelevant ones aren't that important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    in getting a place in uni?
    Basically, I'm a year 13 student, taking another year of college after this, then applying for uni. All going well, I should get some decent/good grades. However, the hard part: I'm a person of no personality. I don't just sit at home and work, I sit at home and do NOTHING. I have no interests or hobbies, nor do I volunteer.
    How important are extra curriculum activities in regards to getting a place in university? If they are important, am I best picking some up now (though I dont really have any passion for anything) or not bothering? If I should, what would you recommend? I know I'm asking this like a year in advance, but I dont wanna get to September and realize I have no chance in getting into uni and having to pick up a dozen 'hobbies' or whatever.

Thanks guys.
    Extra curricular activities are not high on the list of criteria for a university application, but at the same time every little helps (in the words of tesco) so for something relatively easy then it's worth picking up something that you can talk about in your personal statement or at interview because you don't want to come across as boring. Preferably you want something that requires your active involvement (so not like going to the cinema with friends). As said, voluntary work is good, as is sport and music. Responsibility at school such as the school council is also of benefit or indeed any work experience. You want to be able to show that you have developed key transferable/soft skills that you can then apply in your degree. Not having them probably probably is not going to stop you getting a place, but there again it may just make the difference for a competitive course with many good candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Hii help...
    I am starting to prepare for my UCAS application form!
    I want to study dentistry and they are favoring students who have done extra curricular activities. But i have done none and there is nothing to do in my school as i am tooo late to join any commitees what should i do?

What out of school extra curricular activites should I do?

HEEELLLPPPP :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PriyaS)
    Hii help...
    I am starting to prepare for my UCAS application form!
    I want to study dentistry and they are favoring students who have done extra curricular activities. But i have done none and there is nothing to do in my school as i am tooo late to join any commitees what should i do?

What out of school extra curricular activites should I do?

HEEELLLPPPP :confused:
    can you do work experience at a dental practice near you?

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.