Turn on thread page Beta

Marrying someone you don't love watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm increasingly surprised by the number of so-called experts who seem to think this is too high an expectation. It seems to particularly apply to women, particularly those in their 30s, who need to 'get real'.

So marry someone you don't love. I'm not sure whether you're supposed to tell the person you don't love them or if you just spend the rest of your life lying to them. Perhaps, instead, people need to think differently about the criteria they apply to someone as a potential partner. ie a bit less of an obsession with money and appearances.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've seen a couple of articles in newspapers over the last week saying women should stop hoping for "mr perfect" and settle for mr good enough instead. Seems like a load of crap to me, I wouldn't just settle.

ReputationRep:
    i think that type of 'woman' is called a GOLDIGGER by all normal and 'real' people.

but yes how can people marry someone they dont love(not literally btw)??? its just like your wasteing your time and possibly being a tad wrong if the other half has no idea...

and yes people (notoriously women have been heavily included in this group of people) do value money and appearances too much but 1. there is a recession (lol only jokeing, couldnthelp adding that comment) and 2. those people are very shallow

ReputationRep:
    why would anyone just settle, sod that, i would rather be alone than be with someone who goesnt meet with at least most of the things i look for in a partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    why would anyone just settle, sod that, i would rather be alone than be with someone who goesnt meet with at least most of the things i look for in a partner
    You say that now.

Wait until you are in your mid-thirties, alone and desperate.

ReputationRep:
    Loveless marriage, sign me up. Also I'd like friends I hate and a pet that tries to rip my throat out when I pet it....

ReputationRep:
    Don't really agree with the concept of settling into a relationship especially in regards to marriage. I'd say these people need a reality-check about whether they need to be in a relationship, since that just shouts out "I must be in a stable company" to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    You say that now.

She's probably too polite to say it so allow me:

Just **** off eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    You say that now.

Then these people need to work on their self-esteem better. A relationship formed based on those reasoning, is a relationship based on co-dependancy.

ReputationRep:
    http://cdn.thefrisky.com/images/uplo...al_clock_m.jpg
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I wouldn't, I couldn't! It'd be a lie!! I think that people have to be careful with the idea of perfect. I don't think 'perfect' is humanely possible, but I if you are gonna marry them you should love them warts and all.

so you should love someone's imperfections too? I'm not really sure what I'm getting at. It's late :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)
    She's probably too polite to say it so allow me:

Just **** off eh.
    You are Canadian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    You say that now.

well im almost 30 and engaged so i would say thats pretty unlikely

(Original post by Tombola)
    Then these people need to work on their self-esteem better. A relationship formed based on those reasoning, is a relationship based on co-dependancy.

totally agree

imo getting with someone just for the sake of it shows you are desperate and NEED someone

ReputationRep:

mine can tick and run out for all i care lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    mine can tick and run out for all i care lol
    Probably best you retain this attitude tbh, save dissapointment.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it and I don't think people should have to settle. What's perfect for one person won't be perfect for another, but I don't think anyone should just marry someone for the hell of it. I'd rather be single and middle aged than married to someone I don't love.

It's the whole Bridget Jones thing- if a woman appears too desperate she'll attract the no good type or the wet blanket type. It should be about finding a person and wanting to spend the rest of your life with one, rather than finding someone just because you'd rather not be alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Probably best you retain this attitude tbh, save dissapointment.

who would be dissapointed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yeah I've seen a couple of articles in newspapers over the last week saying women should stop hoping for "mr perfect" and settle for mr good enough instead. Seems like a load of crap to me, I wouldn't just settle.
    Agreed.

However if I was pushing 60 and husband-less with nobody to love/love me then I would settle for just Mr Good or even Mr Distinctly Average, just so that I could be happy-ish in my old age and not alone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.