Turn on thread page Beta

Teacher looked at me strangely when I suggested 4 A Lvls... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of the best students in Lower Sixth, yet my head of 6th form looked surprised when I told her I wanted to carry all four of my AS level subjects through to A level. I'm sure I'm not one of a kind! Are they more difficult than I thought?

ReputationRep:
    You do do 4 harder ones, it's not 'normal' to do 4 and it can be stressful. I don't go to a very good school, but there's still usually 1 person who chooses to carry on all 4.
    If you feel that all 4 are useful then continue them. You may think differently closer to the time.

ReputationRep:
    Mine too. I'm still doing it though. If you want to do it and think you can cope, then stick with it and try to convince them to let you - so long as you're aware that it's lots more work, then if you want to do it you should at least try.

ReputationRep:
    Also, looking at your subjects they are virtually the same as mine, except I do RS not music. So if you want any specific advice then PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose17)
    I'm one of the best students in Lower Sixth, yet my head of 6th form looked surprised when I told her I wanted to carry all four of my AS level subjects through to A level. I'm sure I'm not one of a kind! Are they more difficult than I thought?
    4 AS levels..... is fine.

4 Alevels, still fine.

Who cares what they think.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you're thick

ReputationRep:
    That's strange- there are loads of people in my year who carry on 4 subjects!! No joke I'm in upper 6th now and lots of people have carried on all 4!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing 5 and I am coping. I was going to say just work hard all through the year but not even that, just revise a lot just before the exams and you will be fine. Mind you I did get quite high UMS in AS so I only need like B's and C's to get A's at A level.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 5 plus loads of extra curricular and a part time job. One of them is self taught so it is not timetabled though ...

So Yes it is easily possible ... Came out with Aabb last year aiming for A*A*AAB

Didn't have amazing gcses .... they're not as good as the OPs

ReputationRep:
    If you're comfortable with it then it's not a problem. I took 4 a levels and feel I could comfortably have taken 5 - it's not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Four is fine, and to be honest it's slowly becoming the staple for people applying to top universities. Sure, it can be a lot of work, but then what is school meant for?

ReputationRep:
    One of my teacher's bullied me for a whole year about doing 4.

She was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone I'm used to juggling loads of work, and I'd never decide what to drop... :s I'll see how I think closer to the time, but I do think I'll carry on!

ReputationRep:
    Well she's a **** then, continue with all 4 A-Levels and if it turns out you can't manage the workload... then drop one!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 4.. feels exactly like AS to be honest.. Although I envy those with more frees than me.. lol

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the overlap. If they are Chem/Phys/Maths/Further Maths (as I'm doing) then there's a lot of skills shared between them and it's not much more work than three. If they are something like Phys/English/Art/French then it will be a lot more work.

ReputationRep:
    i carried on 4 a-levels and took up an as in yr 13, no one seemed to mind and i didn't really notice any workload problem.

go for it, teachers can have very strange opinions sometimes

ReputationRep:
    i go to a grammar school & they encourage the majority to keep 4.

ReputationRep:
    "Predicted an optimistic A*A*A*AAa (French, Spanish, History, English, General Studies, Extended Project)."

from your sig i see no problem with keeping oin fourA-levels, unless General studies worries you lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same AS's as you but French insteas of Music plus doing General Studies AS/A2 this year but mehh, hardly counts really. And I'm going to carry them all on as long as I get all A's at AS (not saying A is the only acceptable grade btw, just that I'd rather get AAA than AABB), if you are enjoying all your subjects and think you can cope with the workload, go for it! I think a fair few do 4 or even 5 at A2.
    Don't let your school push you into dropping one that you don't want to, at the sixth form at my old school they make it really difficult for even the best students to do 4 A2's, just because they don't want to risk it having any effect on the school's results. But you have to do what's best for you

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.