Turn on thread page Beta

iv been at uni a term and it's not what I expected. I'm confused...pls help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been at uni for a term and have found that it's not exactly what I thought it would be like. I'm not sure the course is right and I'm not having the 'fun' time I expected. Does anyone else feel this way? If so I would really apprechiate some advice. Would it be crazy to drop out and reapply somewhere else? Or should I just hope it improves? I'd really really apprechiate some advice. I've talked to my parents but they just seem angry. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you and what course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Where are you and what course are you doing?
    im doing Drama and Theatre Studies at Royal Holloway, Uni of London. The course isn't very practical and I don't have many friends on the course which can get me down as I've tried making friends. Also, there's 80% girls and 20% boys...I miss male company (not like that...I just have lots of male friends at home and miss having male friends) Any advice? thanks

ReputationRep:
    hello! i went to uni this october and only lasted a few days! i decided i didnt want to do the course and it wasnt that fun! i just went with gut instinct and dont regret it at all coz ive got a great job now and am doing a degree next year! it doesnt matter if your parents will be annoyed- its your life so its entirely up to you! good luk!

ReputationRep:
    yeah if you're really not happy then leave, take a gap year, and start again somewhere more suited to you next year, if you aren't happy then you aren't going to do well, maybe if you told your parents that they would understand, and i agree with whoever just said it, its your life not theirs anyway

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni, didnt like it at all and got talked into staying. I ended up having to temporararily withdraw i got so depressed, which is totally unlike me. I want to finish the course so am in my third year now. All i can say is you know straight away if its not going to be right for you, so don't hang around there when you could be loads happier elsewhere. It'll effect your marks and generally your wellbeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackninjarat)
    I went to uni, didnt like it at all and got talked into staying. I ended up having to temporararily withdraw i got so depressed, which is totally unlike me. I want to finish the course so am in my third year now. All i can say is you know straight away if its not going to be right for you, so don't hang around there when you could be loads happier elsewhere. It'll effect your marks and generally your wellbeing.
    This happened to me at my first college I hated my first course (electrical engineering) so I changed to computing but still hated it. I decided in December that I should just leave rather than waste time some where I wasn't enjoying.

I tried to get a job when I left but only ended up getting factory work. The following september I went to a different course and I enjoyed every minute of it even the studying. I then went to university after the first month I thought I could easily spend another 3 years here. I am in my second year now and still enjoying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.M)
    Hi, I've been at uni for a term and have found that it's not exactly what I thought it would be like. I'm not sure the course is right and I'm not having the 'fun' time I expected. Does anyone else feel this way? If so I would really apprechiate some advice. Would it be crazy to drop out and reapply somewhere else? Or should I just hope it improves? I'd really really apprechiate some advice. I've talked to my parents but they just seem angry. Thank you.
    Hi, i think you should definately take a year out, as most people seem to "slot into" uni if it is right for them, and as this hasn't happened you would probably be happier somewhere else. Also lots of my friends have had great gap years, either having worked for a year and now have money behind them, or travelled and met new people and had a great time. Luckily i'm very happy where I am and love it. Hopefully you will too next year. A friend and housemate of mine started uni last year, didn't like it, left, and is now happy in a different place and on a different course. Go for it, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    Hi, i think you should definately take a year out, as most people seem to "slot into" uni if it is right for them, and as this hasn't happened you would probably be happier somewhere else. Also lots of my friends have had great gap years, either having worked for a year and now have money behind them, or travelled and met new people and had a great time. Luckily i'm very happy where I am and love it. Hopefully you will too next year. A friend and housemate of mine started uni last year, didn't like it, left, and is now happy in a different place and on a different course. Go for it, and good luck!
    Thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it! xx

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.