Turn on thread page Beta

Cancer funding should be cut watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dementia costs the UK twice as much as cancer, but receives a fraction of the funding. :applause: New Labour.

Well done Gordon Brown, yet another feather in your cap. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8493248.stm

ReputationRep:
    Id cut funding from someplace else tbh.

Like a certain cathlolic visiting the uk at an expence of 20 million...

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Cancer affects many more people in more serious ways. And this is the 21st Century, we have many excellent (if expensive) treatments for cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but cancer strikes young and old a like which means it receives more public attention therefore more funding think of the young girl on the cancer ward dieing versus the old lady in a nursing home wrongly they aren’t considered equal. Cancer is a disease we are beginning to understand hence a cure may be possible hence it gets more funding. Dementia on the other hand is damage to brain tissue which we are no where near understanding how to repair (From what ive read so don’t bite)

ReputationRep:
    demntia cant be cured most cancers can so if anything more money should go to people who CAN be saved

ReputationRep:
    Funding to crappy TV shows should be cut..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    demntia cant be cured most cancers can so if anything more money should go to people who CAN be saved
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I disagree. Cancer affects many more people in more serious ways. And this is the 21st Century, we have many excellent (if expensive) treatments for cancer.

The whole point is, you might actually make profit back on the money spent on finding ways of preventing dementia. What if it was way more cost effective than further research into cancer?

I also find your statement of "cancer is more serious" to be offensive. Every person with dementia needs someone looking after them. My grandmother spent 8 years of her life looking after her mother after she became senile and could not look after herself. If you don't look after someone with dementia yourself, they get treated like **** in a care home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Alot of that is funded from advertising im afraid so it cant be cut. Easiest way cut prison spending ie lock them in a hole with BASIC food no electric litterally minimum heating etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex M2)
    The whole point is, you might actually make profit back on the money spent on finding ways of preventing dementia. What if it was way more cost effective than further research into cancer?

I also find your statement of "cancer is more serious" to be offensive. Every person with dementia needs someone looking after them. My grandmother spent 8 years of her life looking after her mother after she became senile and could not look after herself. If you don't look after someone with dementia yourself, they get treated like **** in a care home.
    you take offence too easy, my grandmother also had dementia but then again my partner has had cancer im not being funny but i would much rather the money went to finding a cure for my partner than into something that wouldnt have helped my grandmother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    So, basically, abolish the License Fee?

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested to see how the figures for cost are calculated.

Is it that dementia costs twice as much in what the NHS pays, or is the economic cost of cancer removing people from work not as significant as I would have thought?

In terms of health economics I would expect dementia to be far less expensive, especially with the way care seems to be billed to the patients estate as far as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex M2)

Health care shouldn't be about profit we thankfully still have the NHS in this country. You really do take offence to easily, not all care homes treat people like **** sometimes being in a home is better for the patient aswell you know. No offence to your mam good on her for looking after your gran but i know if i was struggerling with either of my parents id rather they recieved good care in a decent care home than the standard id be able to provide!

(Original post by brokenangel)
    Yes but cancer strikes young and old a like which means it receives more public attention therefore more funding think of the young girl on the cancer ward dieing versus the old lady in a nursing home wrongly they aren’t considered equal. Cancer is a disease we are beginning to understand hence a cure may be possible hence it gets more funding. Dementia on the other hand is damage to brain tissue which we are no where near understanding how to repair (From what ive read so don’t bite)
    As an ex-sufferer myself I am not attacking it and feel the support and treatment I got was excellent.

But the bold has been said for years and years and years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    As an ex-sufferer myself I am not attacking it and feel the support and treatment I got was excellent.

But the bold has been said for years and years and years.
    Unfortuanly cancer isnt a disease which is simple ie something like an allergy block the histamine receptor you stop the signaling and therefore reduce/get rid of the symptoms (In simple terms). Where as cancer is by and large a genetic disease (The cell doesnt die hence continues to grow and forms a tumour) the methods of stopping this are complex and to an extent held back by the ethics laws in this country. A cure will take years and years to develop if it is even possible (I believe it is) due purelly to the complexity of the disease.

Hope youve got over it now and never have to face it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Unfortuanly cancer isnt a disease which is simple ie something like an allergy block the histamine receptor you stop the signaling and therefore reduce/get rid of the symptoms (In simple terms). Where as cancer is by and large a genetic disease (The cell doesnt die hence continues to grow and forms a tumour) the methods of stopping this are complex and to an extent held back by the ethics laws in this country. A cure will take years and years to develop if it is even possible (I believe it is) due purelly to the complexity of the disease.

Hope youve got over it now and never have to face it again
    I don't think there will ever be A cure for cancer, because cancer is not one disease.

I completely agree that dementia research and funding is shamefully low (though I wouldn't lay that at Gordon Brown's door) and that it is a devastating condition that you really wouldn't wish on your nearest and dearest. HOWEVER, do I think it should be funded on a par with cancer research? I'm much less sure. As terp has rightly pointed out, I'm not convinced those figures take into account the economic cost of a cancer patient not being able to work, even if they recover afterwards. Almost all dementia patients are past retirement age, so that side of things has a much lesser impact.

ReputationRep:
    There are more pressing sources for grabbing funding from. Besides, funding shouldn't been seen as a two way continuum... if more money needs to be raised, it can be done so from various sources and by streamlining processes/ increasing efficiencies.

There are many more wasteful budgets that could be cut before that of cancer. The MoD has to be towards the top of these. Once they've cleaned up from squandering insane amounts of money on Iraq and Afghanistan, they could have most MoD staff enrolled on a part-time basis on the TA, so that there would still be an adequately trained military if anything went tits up.

It would have been ideal if they didn't go into Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place, but now there is some moral responsibility to finish up there. I do acknowledge that there were more pressing reasons to go into Afghanistan.

I don't see how going into these countries was deemed more important than funding for dementia, cancer or even building ridiculous tourist attractions that piss money up the wall (*cough*.. the Millennium Dome).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Are you retarded?

ReputationRep:
    hang on, some cancer can be cured :confused: my bfs cancer was cured

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I don't think there will ever be A cure for cancer, because cancer is not one disease.
    :woo: you remind me of my molecular methods lecturer that went through and highlighted that 200 times in my essay. I definatly agree with what your saying tho hell hopefully one day we can cure it even if it mean using stem cells to grow body parts :moon:

(Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    hang on, cancer can be cured my bfs cancer was cured
    It can be treated however if the cancer is in certin places (Ie the brain) the cancerous tumour sometimes cant be removed and sometimes they dont respond to chemotheraputic drugs so unfortuanlly continue to grow and in the end people die.

ReputationRep:
    why cut in cancer thats foolish, cut it in faith school funding and useless **** like that

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.