Turn on thread page Beta

Cancer funding should be cut watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Health care shouldn't be about profit we thankfully still have the NHS in this country. You really do take offence to easily, not all care homes treat people like **** sometimes being in a home is better for the patient aswell you know. No offence to your mam good on her for looking after your gran but i know if i was struggerling with either of my parents id rather they recieved good care in a decent care home than the standard id be able to provide!
    My Mum has dementia and I totally agree with you. She is in a BUPA nursing home receiving the very best of care, so much better than I could ever hope to give her. I"d prefer it if funding to both conditions were equalled, not cut.

ReputationRep:
    About time really. Funding for dementia and alzheimer's is pathetically low. This is partly due to the lack of understanding of it as shown by people in this thread. Anyone claiming cancer is more serious is deluded. If anything, dementia and alzheimer's are more serious because someone having dementia will end up needed serious and long term care (often 24/7) and so will cost a lot more money. Also, where cancer usually will only physically affect the sufferer, the family and friends of dementia sufferers are very much affected by it, and sometimes have to give up jobs to care for the person.

Also, we have treatments for cancer. There is none for alzheimer's. Surely then the research should be for alzheimer's treatments since that is what is it lacking? (In reality, both need constant research, I'm just saying this to make the point).

However, both are horrible for the person and for friends / family.

No offence to your mam good on her for looking after your gran but i know if i was struggerling with either of my parents id rather they recieved good care in a decent care home than the standard id be able to provide!
    Sorry, but I beg to differ.
    If you live in the right place or have enough money, then yes, care homes can be fine. But if you are unlucky enough to not live near a decent one, or not be able to afford a decent one, then you are left with the crappy ones.

My auntie died not long after going into a care home. She deteriorated so quickly once she was in there it was scary.
    My gran passed away last month after suffering with alzheimer's for 5 years. After my auntie dying like that, there was no way we were going to put my gran into a home, and we looked after here until she died.
    We had restbite care in place where for 2 weeks in every 6, my gran would stay in the care home (a different one to my auntie) so we could get some rest. Every time she came out of the home we could tell a marked difference in her.

That is not a coincidence I'm afraid. It isn't the carers fault, its just they are often underpaid, overworked and frankly treated like crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Also, where cancer usually will only physically affect the sufferer, the family and friends of dementia sufferers are very much affected by it, and sometimes have to give up jobs to care for the person.

im sorry but i do not agree with this, cancer is just as hard for the family/friends as dementia is for the family/friends

and there are times where people have had to give up their jobs, i had to give up mine and from talking to a number of people at the hospital they had to give up theirs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    im sorry but i do not agree with this, cancer is just as hard for the family/friends as dementia is for the family/friends

and there are times where people have had to give up their jobs, i had to give up mine and from talking to a number of people at the hospital they had to give up theirs
    Well we're just going to have to disagree then.
    And btw, I know both sides (My gran had breast cancer as well when I was young, and quite a few of close friends have had cancer too (my friends and family friends)).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    Dementia costs the UK twice as much as cancer, but receives a fraction of the funding. :applause: New Labour.

Well done Gordon Brown, yet another feather in your cap. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8493248.stm
    You may be right. Except that cancer affects 1 out of 3 people. My grandmother died of it today. Sorry if I dont share your views.

ReputationRep:
    Well we're just going to have to disagree then.
    And btw, I know both sides (My gran had breast cancer as well when I was young, and quite a few of close friends have had cancer too (my friends and family friends)).
    Its not worth arguing with her over it TBH.

Tinkerbell not everyone can afford to give up their jobs through it or in fact want to ive watched one of my close family battle it and TBH going into work while he was undertreatment kept him going and thankfully he pulled through

ReputationRep:
    Its not worth arguing with her over it TBH.

Tinkerbell not everyone can afford to give up their jobs through it or in fact want to ive watched one of my close family battle it and TBH going into work while he was undertreatment kept him going and thankfully he pulled through

i didnt say everyone could but bluebird is trying to make it seem like people dont need to give up their job if they have a loved one who sufferes from cancer when sometimes they do need to

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say everyone could but bluebird is trying to make it seem like people dont need to give up their job if they have a loved one who sufferes from cancer when sometimes they do need to
    Unless its terminal than in my limited experiance then no they dont need to they may want to but need is a very strong word to use.

ReputationRep:
    Unless its terminal than in my limited experiance then no they dont need to they may want to but need is a very strong word to use.
    i needed to give up mine, mu aunt needed to give up hers

dont say theres no need when you dont know

ReputationRep:

Yes a cancer diagnosis *is* hard for the family BUT there is every chance that the cancer can be cured. Dementia , sadly, isnt curable and every day the family has to watch the person they love fade away more and more until they are gone mentally never to return, its something I am facing right now and its awful . My Mum used to say , rather ironically as she has dementia herself now, that with dementia you lose the person twice, once when it gets really bad and then when they die.

I"m not having a knock at you, I just wanted to put my side across. I"m glad your boyfriend recovered from his cancer.

ReputationRep:
    No. 1 in 3 people will get cancer and it doesnt care who it chooses: it affects people of all ages, rather than dementia. And in many cases its genetic. I do understand how awful dementia is, I've seen it. But I've also seen people battle for years and years against cancer. My boyfriend's mother has had it three times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    No. 1 in 3 people will get cancer and it doesnt care who it chooses: it affects people of all ages, rather than dementia. And in many cases its genetic.!
    You do know anyone can get dementia? It doesn't matter what age you are. Its much more likely in old people, but there are children and young adults with it too.
    And while I don't know that much about alzheimer's, two members of my fathers family have had it, so I think there's something in genetics about that too.

ReputationRep:
    You do know anyone can get dementia? It doesn't matter what age you are. Its much more likely in old people, but there are children and young adults with it too.
    And while I don't know that much about alzheimer's, two members of my fathers family have had it, so I think there's something in genetics about that too.
    There is evidence of a genetic link to Alzheimers http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/script...documentID=168 gives a good summery of it.

ReputationRep:
    Research into cancer cures will most likely open up doors to advanced medical technologies. Thus with cancer cure comes many more cures and other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Yes a cancer diagnosis *is* hard for the family BUT there is every chance that the cancer can be cured. Dementia , sadly, isnt curable and every day the family has to watch the person they love fade away more and more until they are gone mentally never to return, its something I am facing right now and its awful . My Mum used to say , rather ironically as she has dementia herself now, that with dementia you lose the person twice, once when it gets really bad and then when they die.

I"m not having a knock at you, I just wanted to put my side across. I"m glad your boyfriend recovered from his cancer.

first of all im sorry to hear that your mum is currently going through this

tbh i think both are as hard as the other on the family, i was young when my grandmother had dementia so its not crystal clear to me but my bfs cancer is still quite raw, even though the doc said straight away that it could be cured it was always in the back of your mind 'what if', 'what if the chemo doesnt work' 'what if he needs another operation' etc etc

its known straight away with dementia that the person is going to die but with cancer you are always thinking of the 'what ifs'

ReputationRep:
    first of all im sorry to hear that your mum is currently going through this

tbh i think both are as hard as the other on the family, i was young when my grandmother had dementia so its not crystal clear to me but my bfs cancer is still quite raw, even though the doc said straight away that it could be cured it was always in the back of your mind 'what if', 'what if the chemo doesnt work' 'what if he needs another operation' etc etc

its known straight away with dementia that the person is going to die but with cancer you are always thinking of the 'what ifs'
    Yeah, I guess you can only get dementia once whereas cancer can strike more than once. In all honesty, I hadnt thought of it like that really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Yeah, I guess you can only get dementia once whereas cancer can strike more than once. In all honesty, I hadnt thought of it like that really.

yeah theres always the 'what if it comes back' we are lucky with my bfs cancer after 5 years his chance of getting cancer is the same as anyone elses chance

even so every time he gets ill or complains of a pain i always think 'what if'

with dementia you know whats going to happen, with cancer you are almost always in the dark and thats whats hard about it

ReputationRep:
    The idea to cut funding for cancer research is utterly ridiculous. For anyone who is saying it should be cut, can you just place yourself in the shoes of someone who loves someone with cancer for a split second? Does not matter how old or young they are, would you not want there to be a cure more than anything? So yes, research is expensive and maybe we aren't near finding a cure yet but the more money put towards it the closer we will get.

And for anyone who thinks the money should be used for something else, then you are just being idiotic. 'Lets cut money being used to find the cure to a disease that affects millions of people and use it for something else.' Just idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    Everything that happens in the UK seems to be percieved as being Gordon Brown's fault nowadays...

no I would not cut funds for cancer, that is just cruel.

Maybe it's because cancer affects people of all ages, whereas dementia is more common in older people.
    I wouldn't mind if they increased the funding for dementia, but cutting cancer funding will just make things worse.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.