Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In September i will be going to college to study Economics, Business, Law and Modern History, are these suitable subjects for when i apply to Universities? will any Universities discriminate against any of these subjects?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billskiny)
    In September i will be going to college to study Economics, Business, Law and Modern History, are these suitable subjects for when i apply to Universities? will any Universities discriminate against any of these subjects?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Business studies is seen as pretty ****. What do you want to do at uni is the question?

ReputationRep:
    Economics and Business are BAD together.. individually they are good, Economics is considered a "HARD" subject where as Business is "MEDIUM"... Some universities don't like Law for some weird reason...

A science or maths would be good but I'm guessing you don't like them seeing as you havn't picked them :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they particularly like Business. Its sometimes seen as a weak subject. They're suitable if you want to study Economics, Business, Law or Modern History at University. You're obviously screwed if you try to get into a course in a science or art or something. Do whatever is likely to help you get onto the sort of course you want to do. And whatever interests you.

I mean people laugh heartily at Media Studies but i did that at GCSE and AS and ive had 5 offers to study Biochemistry so I dont think they really care what you have aside from the essentials.

ReputationRep:
    Economics and Business is a bit too much. Do maths, or Physics instead of Business and you've got pretty damn good subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Do English Literature instead of Law and Maths instead of Business Studies and you're good.

ReputationRep:
    Drop buisness its a weak sub. Do maths instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Static_Meteorite)
    Economics and Business is a bit too much. Do maths, or Physics instead of Business and you've got pretty damn good subjects.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think of this combo: Maths + Further Maths + English Literature + Economics + Physics.. must be like one of the strongest possible combinations, isn't it? Especialyl for Economics!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study Economics at Uni, however i'm not so strong in Maths so i'd rule out doing that at A level, in terms of substituting one of my subjects for a Science it would probably not be Physics as it's not something i enjoy, would Chemistry suffice? I don't really want to do English Lit or Lang as they just seem boring (no offence to lovers of English), i'd just like to do something different.

thanks for the replies.

if the advice kept coming it'd be appreciated.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just find out what you need at different unis and see what they want, then do that, and do what you like for the other AS levels, you might change your mind later. Don't do 4 "hard" subjects, you might find it too much. Media Studies has been a life saver for me ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Any of the sciences would suffice. They're not easy subjects.

These are Cambridge's less ideal subjects from the BBC site:
    Accounting
    Art and design
    Business studies
    Communication studies
    Dance
    Design and technology
    Drama and theatre studies
    Film studies
    Health and social care
    Home economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Leisure studies
    Media studies
    Music technology
    Performance studies
    Performing arts
    Photography
    Physical education
    Sports studies
    Travel and tourism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think of this combo: Maths + Further Maths + English Literature + Economics + Physics.. must be like one of the strongest possible combinations, isn't it? Especialyl for Economics!?
    I'm doing those subjects but Chemistry instead of Eng lit. Yeah, those subjects are perfect for Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billskiny)
    I'm looking to study Economics at Uni, however i'm not so strong in Maths so i'd rule out doing that at A level, in terms of substituting one of my subjects for a Science it would probably not be Physics as it's not something i enjoy, would Chemistry suffice? I don't really want to do English Lit or Lang as they just seem boring (no offence to lovers of English), i'd just like to do something different.

thanks for the replies.

if the advice kept coming it'd be appreciated.

thanks
    I heard that there is alot of Maths in an Economics course and they would want Maths at A level. What about a joint course like Economics and politics? I'm doing Chemistry and there is quite a bit of maths, take Biology if you don't want something too mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Any of the sciences would suffice. They're not easy subjects.

These are Cambridge's less ideal subjects from the BBC site:
    Accounting
    Art and design
    Business studies
    Communication studies
    Dance
    Design and technology
    Drama and theatre studies
    Film studies
    Health and social care
    Home economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Leisure studies
    Media studies
    Music technology
    Performance studies
    Performing arts
    Photography
    Physical education
    Sports studies
    Travel and tourism
    Damn it, I'm taking photography. Would Philosophy be seen as a softer subject, even if it's not on the list?

ReputationRep:
    They only want A level Maths for a Bsc degree, i was thinking of doing a BA degree in Economics however i do think a joint course like Economics and Politics does sound good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    Damn it, I'm taking photography. Would Philosophy be seen as a softer subject, even if it's not on the list?
    No, I think there's a common misconception going around. Philosophy is a more traditional subject and is also more intellectually demanding as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    No, I think there's a common misconception going around. Philosophy is a more traditional subject and is also more intellectually demanding as well.
    Ah, that's good, I was worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Static_Meteorite)
    I heard that there is alot of Maths in an Economics course and they would want Maths at A level. What about a joint course like Economics and politics? I'm doing Chemistry and there is quite a bit of maths, take Biology if you don't want something too mathematical.

They only want A level Maths for a Bsc degree, i was thinking of doing a BA degree in Economics however i do think a joint course like Economics and Politics does sound good.

ReputationRep:
    Either way doing A level maths will be massivly benificial to your uni application for Economics.
    Think about taking it and workign realy hard in it? Maths can be masterd it just takes practice

ReputationRep:
    i suggest you drop business and do maths instead that will be a very good combination

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.