Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think of this combo: Maths + Further Maths + English Literature + Economics + Physics.. must be like one of the strongest possible combinations, isn't it? Especialyl for Economics!?
    Pretty strong, most likely drop Eng lit/Physics by A2. Eng lit is a lot of reading. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    i suggest you drop business and do maths instead that will be a very good combination
    Maths is too hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billskiny)
    I'm looking to study Economics at Uni, however i'm not so strong in Maths so i'd rule out doing that at A level, in terms of substituting one of my subjects for a Science it would probably not be Physics as it's not something i enjoy, would Chemistry suffice? I don't really want to do English Lit or Lang as they just seem boring (no offence to lovers of English), i'd just like to do something different.

thanks for the replies.

if the advice kept coming it'd be appreciated.

thanks
    If you cant do maths at Alevel, dont even consider doing economics at uni
    Most courses require it as standard and even if they dont you'll struggle so much when you get there

ReputationRep:
    Maths is too hard!
    To be completely honest maths is actually easy because you sort of know if you;re on the right track or not and even if you get all the actual answers wrong you can still get about 80% in a paper!
    if you are really serious about your subjects and university, drop business and do maths. Heres some pointers for you to work on now:

Set aside 2/3 hours a day NOW (of course depending on how much you work etc.) if you still in school i advise 1 and a half hours every evening and 3 on Saturdays and SUndays and just DO maths! Start from the basics, literally work through your whole GCSE textbook. I promise you it will become easy. Take one chapter at a time and do not move on until you are getting above 90% right in the exercises! Then when it comes to starting the AS level course, the most important thing is that you MUST keep on top of the work and still be practising at home.

The only reason I would say don't do maths is if you don't think you have the drive to sit down and do it. Because if you cant put the time in you will always find it hard. So its up to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rezarf)
    Most courses require it as standard and even if they dont you'll struggle so much when you get there
    Read the thread, he's looking to do a BA in Economics or a joint Economics & Politics degree. BA's are less mathematical and usually require just above GCSE maths ability.

If he is not taking Maths as an AS option, he is practically ruling himself out of the top uni's for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rezarf)
    Even if the Uni i go to doesn't require Maths at a level to do a degree in Economics? i will find it hard?

ReputationRep:
    Even if the Uni i go to doesn't require Maths at a level to do a degree in Economics? i will find it hard?
    Seeing as you are in some confusion about A level choices for Economics, here are a few good links to read:

TSR Wiki Economics Degree guide - Highlights the differences between BA and Bsc

Make these two your bread and butter for the next two years:
    Paulwhys Economics League Table for 2010 - Give you some info on uni reqs and standings.

Which Uni for Econ guide - again Paulwhy (TSR) which gives alot of good info.

ReputationRep:
    It might not "require" it but maths will give you an advantage. And there will be other people applying to the same course as you and the Uni will put them above you just beacuse they have maths and you have buissness studys.

ReputationRep:
    What is it that you think you will like about economics if you are not mathematical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Read the thread, he's looking to do a BA in Economics or a joint Economics & Politics degree. BA's are less mathematical and usually require just above GCSE maths ability.

If he is not taking Maths as an AS option, he is practically ruling himself out of the top uni's for Economics.
    I was going to add that but wasnt too sure
    Either way economics has a lot to do with numbers, it's all based on mathematical models; if you aren't comfy with them then dont bother doing economics

ReputationRep:
    Yeah......
    And also if you choose not to do maths for alevel and dont get at LEAST an A in maths at GCSE, they really wont even look at you

I know it's slightly different but my mate has done IB with higher maths, applied to Bath to do economics and because he didnt have an A* in maths at gcse they rejected him outright even though he's predicted 6/7s in all subjects - that did have a lot to do with Bath disliking IB, but it highlights my point they will look at your maths GCSE

ReputationRep:
    In September i will be going to college to study Economics, Business, Law and Modern History, are these suitable subjects for when i apply to Universities? will any Universities discriminate against any of these subjects?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I wouldn't have recommended Economics and Business Studies together but it could pay off.

What course are you thinking of doing?

And what kind of universities are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    What is it that you think you will like about economics if you are not mathematical?
    I am Mathematical and will get a B or an A at GCSE, it's just i've been told a level Math is really difficult however i may be forced to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Pretty strong, most likely drop Eng lit/Physics by A2. Eng lit is a lot of reading. Good luck.
    Wouldn't doing 4 A2s be better, especially when applying to very competitive UNIs like LSE, UCL possibly Cambridge..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Wouldn't doing 4 A2s be better, especially when applying to very competitive UNIs like LSE, UCL possibly Cambridge..?
    May boost your chances at UCL/LSE, Cambridge the interview makes up such a huge part. Best to ask Paulwhy or read his guides on applying for Economics, usually 3A2'+FMA2 is the best option.

ReputationRep:
    I am Mathematical and will get a B or an A at GCSE, it's just i've been told a level Math is really difficult however i may be forced to take it.
    What are the rest of your GCSE predicted grades like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    What are the rest of your GCSE predicted grades like?
    7 A's
    3 B's

ReputationRep:
    7 A's
    3 B's
    Then you are not on course for one of the most competitive economics unis that require Maths anyway: looking at TAELT posts 3 and 4 not 1 and 2. And you might think that in that case that you should study another subject at uni e.g. business instead.

ReputationRep:
    wasn't really intending to go to a top uni.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.