Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all Physics applicants of 2010! I though it would be useful for all you guys who have interviews soon to explain my experiecnce, because before mine, I was actually *ting myself.

I applied to the 4 year Theoretical Physics course, deffered.

First of all, let me say that you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. The first thing the admission tutor said to the group of us was that "You've got the offer 99% already; I don't like to give out interviews and reject you afterwards"

There were 10 of us in the room. We got a brief talk about UCL in general for about 15 mins. Then half of us got a tour around the uni by a post-grad while the other half had interviews.

I had my interview in the second half. You get called by a professor and go to their office. She asked me about what I think about the LHC, sky research groups and money spent on research in general. The rest of the interview, we discussed whether quantum physics and relativity should be incorporated into the GCSE/ALevel syllabus or whether is too early, and about electron clouds and shapes. No written questions. She even told me a joke about spherical cows! (hahaha):p:

I think my interview was a little different to the others, as everyone else seemed to have been asked maths/physics/electricity questions. Differentiating f(x)=x^2, f(x)=x^x, doppler effect, nothing too serious.

We were supposed to end with a talk about the department, but the professor didn't show up so we went home. That was basically it.

All the tutors and interviewers were really nice, plus we got juice and cookies in the meeting room. You get to meet people who are in the same position as you, and should make some friends by the end of the day. Oh! And I saw Hugh Dennis at Euston!!

Although I'd just like to say, it still is an interview, so please wear formal trousers! Good luck!

UPDATE on application

I had my interview on 28th. The letter saying I will most likely get a place came 5 days later, but the letterhead said they sent it off on the 29th (the day after interview).

And today (a week later), my UCAS changed to 'conditional' but I don't know what they want specifically. yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.l)
    Good luck!
    Firstly I'd like to say congratulations on having a great interview and presumably an offer!
    I too have applied for theoretical physics (BSc) and have the interview in 2 weeks. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

I have few questions, why were you asked about the LHC, sky research groups? did you mention it on your PS or was that just a random topic they picked out of the blue? Also, how formal were the questions? as in, were they expecting you to seriously give model answers or was it just an informal discussion?

Oh and were any of the guys wearing suits? I want to look formal but I don't know how formal is appropriate
    Anyway once again well done! and congrats :yep:

By the way, I see on your sig you have an offer from King's. I too have applied there, they've aknowledged me but nothing more....did you get an interview or was it a straight offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    I have few questions, why were you asked about the LHC, sky research groups? did you mention it on your PS or was that just a random topic they picked out of the blue? Also, how formal were the questions? as in, were they expecting you to seriously give model answers or was it just an informal discussion?
    Hey congrats too on your interview! About the LHC etc, I didn't have it on my PS, and I don't know about the other interviewers but I don't think my interviewer read mine at all! She didn't even know I was taking a gap year...

They don't ask anything TOO specific, so if you get a question like that suddenly, just use phrases like "I'm not sure, but from what I've read/ watched I think... " You should be okay.

Oh and were any of the guys wearing suits? I want to look formal but I don't know how formal is appropriate
    I think most of them were wearing shirts with formal-looking jackets, but not suit-suits, if you know what I mean. Just as long as you wear proper trousers!!

By the way, I see on your sig you have an offer from King's. I too have applied there, they've aknowledged me but nothing more....did you get an interview or was it a straight offer?
    They just gave me an offer.. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon. But atleast you almost definitely have UCL now!

Also...
    Things I like: Classical music
    I love you:rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Troll, girls don't do physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.l)
    Hey congrats too on your interview! About the LHC etc, I didn't have it on my PS, and I don't know about the other interviewers but I don't think my interviewer read mine at all! She didn't even know I was taking a gap year...

They don't ask anything TOO specific, so if you get a question like that suddenly, just use phrases like "I'm not sure, but from what I've read/ watched I think... " You should be okay.

I think most of them were wearing shirts with formal-looking jackets, but not suit-suits, if you know what I mean. Just as long as you wear proper trousers!!

They just gave me an offer.. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon. But atleast you almost definitely have UCL now!

Also...
    I love you:rolleyes:
    Thanks a lot! I'm much more relaxed about it now, although I won't take it for granted and will still prepare :yep: Have an awesome time studying the greatest subject in the world in a year's time, whatever uni you decide to go to! Thanks again :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Woah hang on a second.. I thought UCL didn't do interviews?

ReputationRep:
    -Why the feck did you do 'deffered'?
    -I do AS Physics and it kills, its so hard and i dislike it but its so enjoyable to learn. Interesting ****. How the heck do i get an A ?

Fanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Woah hang on a second.. I thought UCL didn't do interviews?
    They interview for plenty of subjects.....

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'd like to say congratulations on having a great interview and presumably an offer!
    I too have applied for theoretical physics (BSc) and have the interview in 2 weeks. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Anyway once again well done! and congrats :yep:

Hey
    Playboy King let me know how your interview goes please, I've applied for physics F300 and I too have an interview
    Whats the date of your Interview actually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timthegreat4)
    Hey
    Playboy King let me know how your interview goes please, I've applied for physics F300 and I too have an interview
    Whats the date of your Interview actually?
    Sure thing! sharing interview experiences is always such valuable help, it certainly has been for me thanks to thoughtful users much like the OP. Mine's on 23rd feb, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Sure thing! sharing interview experiences is always such valuable help, it certainly has been for me thanks to thoughtful users much like the OP. Mine's on 23rd feb, what about you?
    Ohh I see, mines 18th...
    I guess I'll tell you how mine went
    what are you doing to prepare for it?

(Btw I created a new account cos I got sick of my old name now I've actually done a whole profile and everything :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim_Lehner)
    Ohh I see, mines 18th...
    I guess I'll tell you how mine went
    what are you doing to prepare for it?

(Btw I created a new account cos I got sick of my old name now I've actually done a whole profile and everything :P)
    Doing some interview practice in school, some maths/physics interview type of questions (just in case) and reading more into the stuff I mentioned on my PS. What about you?
    By the way, I've applied to 4 of the same unis as you except for Hertfordshire...so there's a great chance we'll end up at the same place! :laugh: UCL's my first choice. Good luck for your interview dude! From everything I've heard, UCL physics department interview = offer...so all the best! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    haha UCL is my number 1 choice too, but I'm doing a deffered entry so... :O have you heard from kings yet?

I'm doing interview practise at school, just brushing up on my calculus (integrate Ln[x], differentiate x^x, sin^2(x) and after doing those I became a beast at it loool
    I need to read up on my PS then... :/ where do you find maths/physics type interview questions?
    I hope I do get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    My interview was for astrophysics. It wasnt even an interview, I was in the first group interviewed for astrophysics apparently so they might not have been so keen on the academia side of things, and it was a group 'interview', more like a chat. No maths or anything. There were about 8 of us sat round a table talking about physics.

ReputationRep:
    woah... need help guys, Just logged onto UCAS track and they want my passport details?
    whats going on?

ReputationRep:
    I think had the intreview on the different day as the op's , mine was an okish intreview ...the guy was a typical "stephen hawking" looking guy . . he was very friendly..he asked me some ps questions and why do I want to do physics..then he told me he will aske me 2 questions one on physics & one on maths ..the physics one was basically about heinsenberg's uncertanity principle which I managed to waffle through ..the maths question he wrote it out on the board and asked me to solve a question .at first I went down the wrong route but after some prompting and hints I managed to get it ..he finally asked me if I had any questions ..I was like No and he said ok dokie lets take you back ..after the intreview was a lecture about a space craft cassini and how and why it went to saturn which I felt was the most boring lecture eve!!
    but it wasnt too bad overall...

Spoiler:
    Show
    if youre wondering what was the maths question he asked me it was to find
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \sqrt{i}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    -Why the feck did you do 'deffered'?
    -I do AS Physics and it kills, its so hard and i dislike it but its so enjoyable to learn. Interesting ****. How the heck do i get an A ?

Fanx

Physics RULES!! Just wait until you get to A2 and start relativity... It is the most interesting thing ever

Anyway I applied for a deffered position because my AS grades wern't actually that great so I thought I might need to re-apply next year, but I managed to get great predicted grades yaaay

Just be entusiastic about it and your grades will automatically go up. I don't suggest reading your text books over and over again, read some Feynman, Russell Stannard (very, very easy to read). Listen to some lectures on things that captivate you.

Also, these sites are fun
    www.youtube.com/user/sixtysymbols
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8IA6xOpSk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrsAhuvs3M Bubbles! :O

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my interview a couple of years ago was very similar. Congrats on the offer, OP! I'm already on the course, hopefully you'll enjoy it. x

whats the general offer for physics, i know its AAB-ABB but what do most people get offers of?

im thinking of reapplying next year, grades are in sig

how hard is it to get into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    whats the general offer for physics, i know its AAB-ABB but what do most people get offers of?

im thinking of reapplying next year, grades are in sig

how hard is it to get into?
    Most offers are AAB

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.