Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.l)
    Physics RULES!! Just wait until you get to A2 and start relativity... It is the most interesting thing ever

Anyway I applied for a deffered position because my AS grades wern't actually that great so I thought I might need to re-apply next year, but I managed to get great predicted grades yaaay

Just be entusiastic about it and your grades will automatically go up. I don't suggest reading your text books over and over again, read some Feynman, Russell Stannard (very, very easy to read). Listen to some lectures on things that captivate you.

Also, these sites are fun
    www.youtube.com/user/sixtysymbols
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8IA6xOpSk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrsAhuvs3M Bubbles! :O
    I do Salters AS Physics, and ive lost hope in Physics. Going to drop it at the end of the year.
    Whats Feynman, Russel Stannard etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all Physics applicants of 2010! ...
    And today (a week later), my UCAS changed to 'conditional' but I don't know what they want specifically. yay
    Are you going to be one of those ugly physics girls that I've had the displeasure of seeing in lectures over the last three years? UCL physics chicks are so ******* ugly. Please please please bring some beautiful people to the dept cos at the moment they disappoint :rolleyes:

congrats on your offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Are you going to be one of those ugly physics girls that I've had the displeasure of seeing in lectures over the last three years? UCL physics chicks are so ******* ugly. Please please please bring some beautiful people to the dept cos at the moment they disappoint :rolleyes:

congrats on your offer
    With that attitude, i'm not surprised you don't have a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all Physics applicants of 2010! I though it would be useful for all you guys who have interviews soon to explain my experiecnce, because before mine, I was actually *ting myself.

I applied to the 4 year Theoretical Physics course, deffered.

First of all, let me say that you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. The first thing the admission tutor said to the group of us was that "You've got the offer 99% already; I don't like to give out interviews and reject you afterwards"

There were 10 of us in the room. We got a brief talk about UCL in general for about 15 mins. Then half of us got a tour around the uni by a post-grad while the other half had interviews.

I had my interview in the second half. You get called by a professor and go to their office. She asked me about what I think about the LHC, sky research groups and money spent on research in general. The rest of the interview, we discussed whether quantum physics and relativity should be incorporated into the GCSE/ALevel syllabus or whether is too early, and about electron clouds and shapes. No written questions. She even told me a joke about spherical cows! (hahaha):p:

I think my interview was a little different to the others, as everyone else seemed to have been asked maths/physics/electricity questions. Differentiating f(x)=x^2, f(x)=x^x, doppler effect, nothing too serious.

We were supposed to end with a talk about the department, but the professor didn't show up so we went home. That was basically it.

All the tutors and interviewers were really nice, plus we got juice and cookies in the meeting room. You get to meet people who are in the same position as you, and should make some friends by the end of the day. Oh! And I saw Hugh Dennis at Euston!!

Although I'd just like to say, it still is an interview, so please wear formal trousers! Good luck!

UPDATE on application

I had my interview on 28th. The letter saying I will most likely get a place came 5 days later, but the letterhead said they sent it off on the 29th (the day after interview).

And today (a week later), my UCAS changed to 'conditional' but I don't know what they want specifically. yay
    Thank you for this info! rep on its way

(Original post by Playboy King)
    Mine's on the 23rd feb,
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    hey people. i been reading up on all the comments. Thank you very much to everyone for sharing your experiences, its very helpful.
    However, I got an interview on the 9th of march. It's my first interview, and I have no idea what to expect. I've not had any interviews before (if i have, then they weren't as life changing as this one)
    I want to know: what kind of questions did they ask?
    were the interviewers friendly? or uptight and rude?
    I am REALLY scared! my AS grades were not that good, although i managed to get good predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psedani)
    hey people. i been reading up on all the comments. Thank you very much to everyone for sharing your experiences, its very helpful.
    However, I got an interview on the 9th of march. It's my first interview, and I have no idea what to expect. I've not had any interviews before (if i have, then they weren't as life changing as this one)
    I want to know: what kind of questions did they ask?
    were the interviewers friendly? or uptight and rude?
    I am REALLY scared! my AS grades were not that good, although i managed to get good predicted grades.
    Coming from a 2nd year - chill out, it's just a conversation about Physics. It's actually quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was exactly the same!

Questions on drawing y=x^2+x+1, so you had to differentiate to find stationary points then draw it, etc...

Erm Archimedes law - if i had an aquaduct and placed a ship in top of it what forces would be exerted on the 'legs' of it (don't know what to call them... maybe supports lol).

The rest was about why i enjoyed physics and what made me want to do it, but he made no notes and it doesn't effect the offer xD

Got an offer 4 days later AAB xD (MPhys)

ReputationRep:
    You probs don't believe us because i didn't believe people, it honesty is nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, pretty chillaxed (although everyone is **** scared when they arrive)

ReputationRep:
    I had my physics interview on the 23rd....and you seriously have nothing to worry about :yes:

My interviewer asked me some straight forward physics questions like "what is the equation that relates the charges of two particles and the distance between them" (F=kQ1Q2/r2)
    And some simple maths differentiation and integration (find the gradient of graph y = x[squared] at x = 2 etc.)
    Plus the usual why do you want to do physics and any extra curricular activities you have done.

I found the whole experience satisfying because not only was it really relaxed but everyone was really nice

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for your experience!
    I got an interview on the 9th.
    I wanted to ask- how did you prepare for the interview? coz i am really worried that i may be caught off guard...
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshmallows)
    Coming from a 2nd year - chill out, it's just a conversation about Physics. It's actually quite fun.
    thanks. now i do look forward to it...
    =D
    btw- hows the study life there? fun? tough? both?

ReputationRep:
    thanks. now i do look forward to it...
    =D
    btw- hows the study life there? fun? tough? both?
    Tough and fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshmallows)
    Tough and fun.
    How many hours a week roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani.l92)
    How many hours a week roughly?
    Honestly, it depends on what class of degree you want to get.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for your experience!
    I got an interview on the 9th.
    I wanted to ask- how did you prepare for the interview? coz i am really worried that i may be caught off guard...
    thanks
    I basically just revised my physics course in general including AS because I heard someone got asked stuff on doppler effect etc.

I also went over some tough maths questions that was asked in the past such as differentiate x^x and the square root of 'i'

Apart from that I don't really think you can be caught out...and anyway they said and I quote: "the interview doesn't matter, you'll get the offer based on the academic side of things"

Good luck in your interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.