Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking biology, chemistry, geography and history AS (predicted A/B, B/C, B, C in the same order). I have to choose what to carry/drop/as to pick up in a few weeks time, before we get January exam results back.

I'm a bit confused though, some unis give offers on UMS (or is it UCAS) points, but do these include points for AS grades or only full A-levels? :confused:

And some just give grade offers, are these only for A2 grade as well?

At my college teachers think your kind of crazy to take four A2s, but at other colleges it's the norm, but for some of the best unis you need 4? Bringing me back to the confusion about offers and stuff

I'm finding history really hard, stupid specified syllabus with no revision books!, so I was thinking of dropping it next year and picking up Physics AS (or something like world development/ environmental studies) - which would be better for uni? would they not take into account the 2 AS' I had when giving me offers? :woo:

Any answers/advice would make me happy I don't want to kick myself in the back lol. Thanks

When unis quote points, it refers to UCAS points, not UMS points. IIRC, A grades are 100 points, B 90 points, C 80 etc.
    When unis quote grades, it means the grade recieved after completion of the whole A2 course (the same goes for points).

Yeah, you're right, colleges will have differing views on the number of A levels, it usually depends on the subjects involved. I wouldn't recommend doing those particular A Levels on to A2 :erm: It'd be very work intensive - it can be done, but you don't want to put a huge strain on yourself. As for unis, I haven't seen them quote a need for 4 A Levels, any of them. They will, for most courses require 3 A Levels (and maybe another up to AS).

As for what you want to drop, it depends on whether it's needed for the course you wish to do at uni really! :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    I'm taking biology, chemistry, geography and history AS (predicted A/B, B/C, B, C in the same order). I have to choose what to carry/drop/as to pick up in a few weeks time, before we get January exam results back.

I'm a bit confused though, some unis give offers on UMS (or is it UCAS) points, but do these include points for AS grades or only full A-levels? :confused:

At my college teachers think your kind of crazy to take four A2s, but at other colleges it's the norm, but for some of the best unis you need 4? Bringing me back to the confusion about offers and stuff

I'm finding history really hard, stupid specified syllabus with no revision books!, so I was thinking of dropping it next year and picking up Physics AS (or something like world development/ environmental studies) - which would be better for uni? would they not take into account the 2 AS' I had when giving me offers? :woo:

Any answers/advice would make me happy I don't want to kick myself in the back lol. Thanks
    It depends on what you want to do at uni. You don't want to drop a subject to find out it's essential for the course you want to do next year! You probably seem quite sciency, so I'd probably drop History as it doesn't link to the others aswell. However, as I said you need to research into what kind of things you want to do at uni and what subjects would be best for that before making a decision.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    When unis quote points, it refers to UCAS points, not UMS points. IIRC, A grades are 100 points, B 90 points, C 80 etc.
    When unis quote grades, it means the grade recieved after completion of the whole A2 course (the same goes for points).

Yeah, you're right, colleges will have differing views on the number of A levels, it usually depends on the subjects involved. I wouldn't recommend doing those particular A Levels on to A2 :erm: It'd be very work intensive - it can be done, but you don't want to put a huge strain on yourself. As for unis, I haven't seen them quote a need for 4 A Levels, any of them. They will, for most courses require 3 A Levels (and maybe another up to AS).

As for what you want to drop, it depends on whether it's needed for the course you wish to do at uni really! :top:
    Thanks so the UCAS points lol only count A2 grades, do you think they would count an AS too if I did 3 A2s and an extra AS?

ReputationRep:
    Drop history because like someone said, it doesn't relate to the other subjects and also you have no revision books!

Thanks so the UCAS points lol only count A2 grades, do you think they would count an AS too if I did 3 A2s and an extra AS?
    Ah, I'm such an idiot, I didn't explain fully. UCAS points are given out at their full rate if the whole course is completed. If the course is completed to AS level, points are given at half rate and will count towards any requirements requiring points. Requirments requiring grades will be specific with what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Ucas points are collected from everything, As and A2. Just concentrate on doing three next year and then you will have 3 a levels and an As.
    Most offers are graded like AAB things like that, so dont worry about the points so much.
    Anyway

120 - A2 A
    100 - A2 B
    80 - A2 C

And the cycle continues, unless your oxford material you wont see many offers over AAA, so 360 Ucas points for example. The key is they wont say get 360 ucas points, they will say 360 comprising of three A2 a levels or something. The As will probably not be in your offer itself, but will help you get an offer in the first place if that made sense.

ReputationRep:

No you don't, completely untrue.

Most top universities ask for A*AA-AAB at A-level.Taking a fourth A-level is a waste of time, for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    and OP, don't bother with the extra AS. Just stick with 3 A-levels and you'll be fine. Most top unis don't ask for UCAS points, they ask for 3 A-level grades.

ReputationRep:

Yeah all of the top unis specify 3 in their requirments but for its probs better to get good grades in 3 rather than do badly in four, also some top unis only specify three as these are virtually required, but you have a better chance of getting in with four they just want to see that you can take the strain of the four A2 they dont really care too much of the subject (as long the subject isnt a really soft subject such as ICT (cambridge and LSE have actually sed they dont consider this as an a level)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Some people think 4 is normal though? I might carry on

or drop and pick up an as then I'd end up with 3 A2 and 2 AS

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Some people think 4 is normal though? I might carry on

or drop and pick up an as then I'd end up with 3 A2 and 2 AS
    I do four, to allow a bit of room for error in exams, because I generally have one aff day and my offers are high. It all depends on how you feel, though.

Unless there's a subject that you particularly want to pick up, I wouldn't recommend taking an extra AS next year, as there's no real benefit to it. As others have said, try to keep in mind what you want to study at uni as well as what you enjoy most and what your predicted grades are in each subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tiggy_)
    I do four, to allow a bit of room for error in exams, because I generally have one aff day and my offers are high. It all depends on how you feel, though.

Unless there's a subject that you particularly want to pick up, I wouldn't recommend taking an extra AS next year, as there's no real benefit to it. As others have said, try to keep in mind what you want to study at uni as well as what you enjoy most and what your predicted grades are in each subject.
    Yeah I always have one exam go wrong :rolleyes:, I was just thinking that as at my college your take 4 as, then drop 1, take 3A2 and an extra As... Not that great a college, so I probabl shouldn't listen anyway.

If you got a bad grade in the 4th A2, do you think it would affect offers?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I always have one exam go wrong :rolleyes:, I was just thinking that as at my college your take 4 as, then drop 1, take 3A2 and an extra As... Not that great a college, so I probabl shouldn't listen anyway.

If you got a bad grade in the 4th A2, do you think it would affect offers?

thanks
    No-if your offer is based on three A-levels (which nearly all are), a bad result in the fourth will make no difference whatsoever.

And you're welcome

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.