Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im still doing my 3 AS levels and re-take maths and i've applied to carry on my AS into A2s in september but i also want to start AS psychology. the only problem is im worried i wont be able to take it if it clashes with my timetable. would it possible for me to teach myself psychology from home?

i'm in the medway area in kent so i dont think its really common around here to do an A level from home?

ReputationRep:
    Your already doing 3 alevels, why do you want to start another one?

Yeah, it's possible to teach yourself from home. From my experience it is very hard and takes up so much time.

Why would the place you live make it uncommon?

ReputationRep:
    its uncommon because i dont know anyone who teaches themselves a subject from home although i have been told you can take one up at a night school or something :/

i wanted to originally do 4 A levels but i couldnt because biology and psychology clashed so in year 13 it would be possible to at least get an AS in psychology so thats what i wanted to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Why would the place you live make it uncommon?
    sz forgot to quote you lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-maniac92)
    im still doing my 3 AS levels and re-take maths and i've applied to carry on my AS into A2s in september but i also want to start AS psychology. the only problem is im worried i wont be able to take it if it clashes with my timetable. would it possible for me to teach myself psychology from home?

i'm in the medway area in kent so i dont think its really common around here to do an A level from home?
    Medway, kent? What 6th form are you at?

ReputationRep:
    hundred of hoo :/ lol

ReputationRep:

Hmm, I would not recommend psychology. I read my textbook and compared it to my teachers notes - she puts on slides and tells us what to write down. Her notes are condensed and gives you the exact information you need for the exams.

I guess, however, if you used a CGP revision book, then yes, for psychology and biology. Most textbooks are full of crap and the revision book really tells you exactly what you need to know.

In terms of practice questions, the exams now have small 1-4 mark questions and a 12 marker. With the smaller ones, you can check your own answer (i.e. its more direct what the answer should be) whereas with the 12 mark you can't really mark yourself on that easily. I would get a weekly tutor if I were you who just checks up on how you are doing, gives you practice questions and answers any questions.

ReputationRep:
    hundred of hoo :/ lol
    Im at the walderslade/greenacre 6th form :P Not to far away XD

ReputationRep:
    would it possible for me to teach myself psychology from home?
    Yes of course it is. I taught myself A level pyschology from home, just got a few handouts from my teacher, but everything I really needed to know was in the textbook. You just have to be disciplined, and reasonably intelligent.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    thanks people i shall look into it when i pick my A2's hopefully i'll be able to do it at school lol

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.