Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a stand against consumerism watch

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out what my New Years goal is... maybe a little bit late.

I'm going to not buy any new clothes for the year. I don't have a massive wardrobe, but I really do have enough to get by. And I'm making exceptions for
    a) underwear - but not lingerie
    b) replacing essential items, such as my winter coat which has, somehow, ripped itself.

I feel like a hippie badass right now, which is a feeling that should wear off in the next 10 minutes. It's not that big a deal, but it saves me wasting money on things I don't need.

What do you think, care to join me?

EDIT: I was being purposefully OTT... hence "hippie badass". I am not on the cusp of changing the world.

ReputationRep:
    good on ya.

i will be buying clothes but nowhere near the ridiculous amount i bought last year (and never wore) :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    care to join me?
    No, I am a consumerism whore. Your clothes are going to smell.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good idea. :five: You'll probably learn to appreciate the things you do own more - and it's good for the ole' carbon footprint as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1991)
    I've heard of this amazing invention which spins clothes around really fast in a soapy solution.

I forget what it's called.... but it's worth Googling...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of this amazing invention which spins clothes around really fast in a soapy solution.

I forget what it's called.... but it's worth Googling...
    I think you mean a washing machine? I didn't even need to google it... And no, I dont use them...I am a boy?

your clothes will become all worn though? Also, what will you do when youre out in a club and people realise your clothes are horrendously out of season? x

ReputationRep:
    You're cool.

Personally, I think people like you are attention seeking and do it just to 'be different'. I think you're pathetic. Why can't you just abide by economic and social norms??

ReputationRep:
    So basically replace things when they wear out. Tends to be what I do on the whole anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Guy)
    Personally, I think people like you are attention seeking and do it just to 'be different'. I think you're pathetic. Why can't you just abide by economic and social norms??
    Well, personally, I think you're a brainwashed sheep if you think you should blindly accept 'economic and social norms'. Ever had a thought that some people are not happy with the world works and think there are better ways of going about things?

OP, I think if you want to do that, then that's great. We all consume too much unecessarily. I'm afraid as much as I think things need to change, I'm also too much of a fashion lover to take too much of a stand where clothes are concerned. But I support other less consumerist ideas elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    This is basically what guys do.

Yet we don't get sung praises for it :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean a washing machine? I didn't even need to google it... And no, I dont use them...I am a boy?

your clothes will become all worn though? Also, what will you do when youre out in a club and people realise your clothes are horrendously out of season? x
    Ah, that's the one. It was on the tip of my tongue.

I dunno, my clothes generally don't get that worn. And, to be perfectly honest, I don't follow fashion. I rarely go clubbing, and last time I did I wore a top that I'd bought when I was 16 years old, and I got a bit of attention. One of the menfolk told me he was "feeling me" while feeling me, so I felt quite accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out what my New Years goal is... maybe a little bit late.

I'm going to not buy any new clothes for the year. I don't have a massive wardrobe, but I really do have enough to get by. And I'm making exceptions for
    a) underwear - but not lingerie
    b) replacing essential items, such as my winter coat which has, somehow, ripped itself.

I feel like a hippie badass right now, which is a feeling that should wear off in the next 10 minutes. It's not that big a deal, but it saves me wasting money on things I don't need.

What do you think, care to join me?
    oxymoron.

i shall be buying clothes aplenty this year, and thus helping 8 year old chinese boys out tremendously. because i care. tbh it is heartless not to buy ridiculous amounts of clothing!

ReputationRep:
    I have picked my battles, and this isn't one of them. I would say good for you, but it annoys me when people advertise life choices so blatently, like they want recognition. If you were doing it for the right reasons you wouldn't need to broadcast it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Well, personally, I think you're a brainwashed sheep if you think you should blindly accept 'economic and social norms'. Ever had a thought that some people are not happy with the world works and think there are better ways of going about things?
    Not brainwashed, just love how society works and can't see why people would want anything different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Guy)
    Not brainwashed, just love how society works and can't see why people would want anything different.
    Obviously, or you wouldn't call them 'attention-seeking' or 'pathetic'. Get over yourself yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Not if you wash them. And guess what men use them too :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I have picked my battles, and this isn't one of them. I would say good for you, but it annoys me when people advertise life choices so blatently, like they want recognition. If you were doing it for the right reasons you wouldn't need to broadcast it.
    If I was doing this so people on TSR would love me, I think I'd be sorely disappointed.

I'm mostly doing it so I can clear my overdraft.

666th post :devil:

ReputationRep:
    If I was doing this so people on TSR would love me, I think I'd be sorely disappointed.

I'm mostly doing it so I can clear my overdraft.
    Then your thread title should be "Not Spending Money on Clothes", as this is clearly your motivation. I don't understand why you'd want to make a thread about it at all though, really..:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. The UK needs you to buy lots of clothes during these difficult economic times :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Then your thread title should be "Not Spending Money on Clothes", as this is clearly your motivation. I don't understand why you'd want to make a thread about it at all though, really..:confused:
    I wanted to see if anyone wanted to join in, and how people felt about the idea of not buying any clothes for a year.

I did mention that it wasn't a big deal in my OP.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.