Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a stand against consumerism Watch

ReputationRep:
    nahhh I love consumerism

anyway are you allowed to buy second hand clothes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Don't do it. The UK needs you to buy lots of clothes during these difficult economic times :nopity:
    I download music legally. :cool:
    That's my contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Interests: Modern consumerism

ReputationRep:
    I hate you conventionally unconventional's! Damn you all!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I couldn't do it.

Well, I could probably go without buying new clothes. But I couldn't go without buying my prescious DVDs and Games.

ReputationRep:
    Nice idea, though I certainly won't be joining you. I need new clothes like an ostler needs his ostle.

Well then maybe you could only get new clothes from charity shops or something? Actively helpful and you still get new stuff etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    I've worked out what my New Years goal is... maybe a little bit late.

I'm going to not buy any new clothes for the year. What do you think, care to join me?
    oh my gosh, my parents would love it if i did this but it just won't happen. i see something i like, and buy it without thinking whether i need it or not. but in my defence i haven't yet not worn something i've bought. so i guess its put to good use...and i need loads of clothes for when i'm a teacher. that my excuse when i come home with more bags :o: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Well then maybe you could only get new clothes from charity shops or something? Actively helpful and you still get new stuff etc.
    this. it's my plan anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I'm still going to buy clothes this year, but there's no reason why you should just 'abide by economic and social norms' as someone suggested. If you want to do it go for it, bet you'll save loads of money

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really interesting idea, albeit something I wouldn't do myself.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to save on money is to have essentials that you can mix and match to make multiple outfits. Things like tank tops and timeless coloured and cuts of clothing. Just google "essential things for your wardrobe" and you'll see (but make sure it suits you). Make sure they're easy to match and complement with other pieces in your wardrobe and also, you can add on whatever you think that suits you/whatever you want to match your personality. belts, cropped sleeves, etc.
    You can also have clothes-swap with your friends, that'll save you money while varying your wardrobe. Also, charity shops and thrift stores. I love it when they say pre-loved clothing, nothing says your clothes are slutty than have someone else's sloppy seconds
    Ebay and Gumtree is your friend, and sometimes even etsy.co.uk . If you look hard enough you can find high quality amazingly creative stuff for cheap!
    Modding your clothes would also make them last longer, but don't make it tacky. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    I've worked out what my New Years goal is... maybe a little bit late.

I'm going to not buy any new clothes for the year. I don't have a massive wardrobe, but I really do have enough to get by. And I'm making exceptions for
    a) underwear - but not lingerie
    b) replacing essential items, such as my winter coat which has, somehow, ripped itself.

I feel like a hippie badass right now, which is a feeling that should wear off in the next 10 minutes. It's not that big a deal, but it saves me wasting money on things I don't need.

What do you think, care to join me?

EDIT: I'm not trying to 'show off', as some people have suggested. >.<
    People who "take stands against consumerism" are invariably up themselves, unhappy and disliked by many.

So yeah, good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to take a stand do as Tyler Durdan. Not abstain from buying clothes, and especially not boasting about it on la net

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bought any clothes for over a year already, in fact it might be 2 o_O :giggle:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.