Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would I like Biology? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would I like Biology?
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    20.00%
    Not enough information
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm dabbling with the idea of doing biology at some point, and I'm just wondering if you think I'd enjoy it...

I always hated cutting body parts up in biology at school, it really grossed me out. However, I'm quite interested in auto-immune disorders (diabetes and MS in particular) and the way the body works, but I was bored by the whole philosophical approach they took to it in the gcse science course (for an example, they had intelligent design in there? I mean that's not biology but that's the kind of thing) and don't want to repeat anything of that sort in a science class.

Is there anything I should know about studying Biology at A-level/degree? Anything I should really avoid, or any factor that crops up again and again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Hi,

I'm dabbling with the idea of doing biology at some point, and I'm just wondering if you think I'd enjoy it...

I always hated cutting body parts up in biology at school, it really grossed me out. However, I'm quite interested in auto-immune disorders (diabetes and MS in particular) and the way the body works, but I was bored by the whole philosophical approach they took to it in the gcse science course (for an example, they had intelligent design in there? I mean that's not biology but that's the kind of thing) and don't want to repeat anything of that sort in a science class.

Is there anything I should know about studying Biology at A-level/degree? Anything I should really avoid, or any factor that crops up again and again?
    I don't quite get it as your sig says you've applied for english at uni this year but anyway...

It depends upon the exam board you follow for a-level. If its AQA then your probably in luck as there is a bit on diabetes and the control of glucose levels in the body in the course. Theres your biochemistry parts to do with cell organelles, respiration and photosynthesis, circulatory system, genetics and there is also your ecology side such as populations and the environment, predation, competition, agricultural systems etc. Practicals and cutting things up totally depends upon your school and college. Its not a necessary practical but it might happen, for example in year 12 we cut up lambs heart to examine at the different arteries and ventricles etc.

As for biology degrees at university I am under the impression that it is mainly ecology. The best way to find out is to look at the specification from exam boards for a levels and look at university courses for degrees.

From that you should figure out for yourself whether you like it really as we cannot decide for you and you probably shouldn't base your decision of other peoples' perception of you. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.