Turn on thread page Beta

Concerning the acceptance of the offer: PhD in History watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear comrades,

It happens that I've been accepted to Oxford University, PhD in History, starting Fall 2010. Couple of days ago I received an official offer, stating that I need to 'confirm if you wish to accept this offer or not by 5th March, 2010'. The thing is that I don't know yet whether I'm going to receive any kind of financial support, both from Oxford and AHRC. I also applied to many more universities, and the offer from Oxford came first. Obviously, I would like to have more time for consideration, as unfortunately a lot depends on whether I receive at least any sort of funding . My question is:
    do they expect my definite decision at this point, and what are the consequences if I 'accept' the offer at this early stage? Am I bound in any way due to my acceptance of the offer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzufruktas)
    Dear comrades,

It happens that I've been accepted to Oxford University, PhD in History, starting Fall 2010. Couple of days ago I received an official offer, stating that I need to 'confirm if you wish to accept this offer or not by 5th March, 2010'. The thing is that I don't know yet whether I'm going to receive any kind of financial support, both from Oxford and AHRC. I also applied to many more universities, and the offer from Oxford came first. Obviously, I would like to have more time for consideration, as unfortunately a lot depends on whether I receive at least any sort of funding . My question is:
    do they expect my definite decision at this point, and what are the consequences if I 'accept' the offer at this early stage? Am I bound in any way due to my acceptance of the offer?

Accepting an offer means nothing really. It's still conditional (if not also in an academic sense, clearly in a financial sense).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your reply. Does it make sense to reply ASAP? esp. in terms of funding considerations?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your reply. Does it make sense to reply ASAP? esp. in terms of funding considerations?
    The intent is probably to aid them in figuring out where they stand. Again, 'accepting' an offer means nothing until any and all academic conditions are satisfied and some sufficient funding source can be attested to. You can ask your department where you stand in regard to AHRC funding, presumably. They seem to have 18 awards for 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Dear comrades,

You're not tied to the offer though - I'd imagine they're chasing up because of financial consideration. They can't force you to be there come October They'll also be getting the list together of students who have been offered a place and also qualify for AHRC so they can then choose the best 18 or so. I assume you qualify for the full amount despite writing 'fall' instead of Autumn

Lucky you re: offer - I've got to wait until end of March to find out Was it conditional?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys for advice. I've accepted the offer, now waiting to hear about the funding.. My offer was unconditional. Well, theoretically. In practice, I need to get at least some kind of funding, as I come from a poor EU country. I was wondering, how hard is getting at least my tuition/college fees covered? My grades are fine, have MA w. distinction and LL.M. I have also received the offer from LSE (International History)... Suppose I get the funding at LSE, but Oxford is not so generous. All the rest being equal (supervisors etc), is it worth living on bread/water in Oxford for 3 years? Any thoughts on whether the PhD from Oxford has a considerable advantage over the LSE in terms of academic employment in Europe/US?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, how hard is getting at least my tuition/college fees covered?
    That's going to depend upon which scholarships you are eligible for. In any case, I think it's safe to assume competition will be stiff. For overseas students, the Clarendon has had ca. 5 per cent success rates.

ReputationRep:
    Dear comrades,

Just a quick question in passing: with which deadline did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Just a quick question in passing: with which deadline did you apply?
    November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poi12)
    That's going to depend upon which scholarships you are eligible for. In any case, I think it's safe to assume competition will be stiff. For overseas students, the Clarendon has had ca. 5 per cent success rates.
    As an EU student, I am eligible for several awards, including AHRC. Oxford Faculty of History has 18 of those for 2010/11. 'Some 450 graduate students work at any one time under the auspices of the History Faculty, and out of numerous applications the Faculty admits around 190 new graduates each year'. Let's suppose that one third of them are PhDs, this makes 18/63=around 30% probability for AHRC. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    As an EU student, I am eligible for several awards, including AHRC. Oxford Faculty of History has 18 of those for 2010/11. 'Some 450 graduate students work at any one time under the auspices of the History Faculty, and out of numerous applications the Faculty admits around 190 new graduates each year'. Let's suppose that one third of them are PhDs, this makes 18/63=around 30% probability for AHRC. Hmm.
    Bear in mind though that most AHRC awards go to UK students, simply because the government will give them a generous stipend (as opposed to fees-only for EU recipients).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_Duncan)
    Bear in mind though that most AHRC awards go to UK students, simply because the government will give them a generous stipend (as opposed to fees-only for EU recipients).
    Is that your guess, or is there any evidence for that? One could also think that if there is a possibility of giving less money while still fulfilling the quota, this option could seem very feasible for the awarding authorities

ReputationRep:
    Is that your guess, or is there any evidence for that? One could also think that if there is a possibility of giving less money while still fulfilling the quota, this option could seem very feasible for the awarding authorities
    It's the university which chooses to whom they give their quote of scholarships, while the funding comes from the government; thus, it's in the university's interests to distribute scholarships to those who will get maximum benefit from them. Obviously though, a far superior EU candidate will be given preference over a weaker UK candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Your theory makes sense. Anyway, there is no other way but wait&see..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_Duncan)
    I'll :ditto: this and say also given that the funding that the OP quoted is what they have available for full studentships. Given how much AHRC funding has been cut, I'd be very interested to know how much they set aside for paying for tuition fees of EU students.

With regards to where to go - you need to look at supervisors and who you want to work with and who's got the best rep for your subject area as that'll have a huge influence later on.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.