Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Uh, i'd like to start listening to vinyl records. My dad has an old player (so old it's wooden), but it needs a new needle. Obviously buying a new player and amplifier is gonna cost a bomb. I'm not sure what to do.. I saw there's some that you can connect to the computer.. avoiding the need for speakers/amplifier.

Does anyone else listen to vinyl?

ReputationRep:
    Don't connect it to a computer.
    You might as well buy a CD.

The great thing about vinyl is its sound on an old record player.
    Get a record player in good condition then play away.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a good used one for a reasonable price on ebay, no point connecting it to your computer...you should get some good speakers otherwise you might as well stick to CDs.

ReputationRep:
    To play anything with your player, you're ideally going to need to new needle, an amplifier, speakers and wires to plug them all together. Additionally, you need a preamp in order to plug your turntable into most modern amplifiers, although some amplifiers/turntables have them built in.

To be honest, there's not much point listening to vinyl without all the kit, or else the supposed hike in sound quality is going to be cancelled out by poor equipment (such as connecting the turntable straight to a computer), if that makes sense. I reckon that you could scour eBay for some decent second hand kit, seeing as shelling out for new equipment really does cost a bomb, especially for the higher end stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topspinner)
    when you say a used one on ebay, do you mean the player, amp and speakers all together? i'll give this old one a try first then if the computer idea isn't a good one.
    Yeah you can find all of that on ebay...for a lot cheaper as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topspinner)
    What do you think of the portable ones, either the old vintage ones or the new ones with a CD player built in too?
    Not good if you want the best sound quality...defeats the point of it really. Vinyl isn't really supposed to be portable, you need a solid, stable player.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOTlhSZmx8 :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have one of the portable ones. DO NOT GET ONE! It was absolutely terrible. I suppose you might be able to get a good one for a high enough price, but seriously dont bother. It might be an idea to have a quick look in some charity shops before buying a brand new one, could find a bargain.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.