Turn on thread page Beta

Self harming to help studying. watch

First off, this isn't a troll, promise. Sorry about the length!

I began this at GCSE level when I had to cram everything at the last minute. I used to pinch my hand really hard or bang it against the table and for some reason, I would get 100% concentration for a long time which is something I otherwise struggle to achieve.

I didn't leave my AS and A levels till the last minute but when there was pressure, difficult work, I would do the same and I found that I could sit down and get the work done without sitting staring at the wall. School suddenly became much less stressful and I started to get much better grades. The self harming progressed too: I began to use razor blades to make thin, straight slices in my arm.

It stopped on my gap year because I there was no reason for me to study towards a particular end.

Now I'm at uni and I've started again. The work is obviously much harder than anything I've ever done before and I'm out of the habit of studying. Obviously, if you looked closely at my left arm, you'd see years of scars some really old and some just a few hours old and you'd leap to the worst conclusion...which is exactly what my boyfriend has done and is now worried.

Now, I assure you, I have no problems, I'm not upset about anything, it's not even a stress buster, it's just to focus my mind. The marks do fade, you can only see if you look closely and I'm not causing any permanent damage. I know I could stop if I wanted to, but I don't really see what harm it's doing.

Do you think it's really that bad? Should I stop?

ReputationRep:
    Omg Stop
    There are a ton of other ways to stay concentrated rather then hurting yourself?
    Seriously dont harm your body
    Look after it and t will be good to you

ReputationRep:
    No, you should carry on cutting yourself because it helps you concentrate a bit longer.

ReputationRep:
    You could really hurt yourself or go to far. Even though you don't think you have a problem you seem like you do. I would go see a doctor before you go to far. There are other ways to deal with having to focus.

ReputationRep:
    wow that is seriously weird. try and not condition yourself to do that always

ReputationRep:
    I think it's probably not a great habit to be in - you've already said that the harm your doing has progressed. There's no concrete line to cross here, and it could easily get out of hand - especially if the small razor cuts stop "working" and you have to cut deeper and more frequently.

I would suggest trying to find an alternative method to keep you focused and to deal with stress. Perhaps a physical sport like martial arts might help to relieve study stress while making you use your free time more efficiently to study...?

ReputationRep:
    well, depends, if you're cutting deep&dangerously, i'd look for other coping mechanisms, if not, then i dont know, if you'ree ashamed, or worry what people would think if they saw it, get help? counselling? doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    First off, this isn't a troll, promise. Sorry about the length!

I began this at GCSE level when I had to cram everything at the last minute. I used to pinch my hand really hard or bang it against the table and for some reason, I would get 100% concentration for a long time which is something I otherwise struggle to achieve.

I didn't leave my AS and A levels till the last minute but when there was pressure, difficult work, I would do the same and I found that I could sit down and get the work done without sitting staring at the wall. School suddenly became much less stressful and I started to get much better grades. The self harming progressed too: I began to use razor blades to make thin, straight slices in my arm.

It stopped on my gap year because I there was no reason for me to study towards a particular end.

Now I'm at uni and I've started again. The work is obviously much harder than anything I've ever done before and I'm out of the habit of studying. Obviously, if you looked closely at my left arm, you'd see years of scars some really old and some just a few hours old and you'd leap to the worst conclusion...which is exactly what my boyfriend has done and is now worried.

Now, I assure you, I have no problems, I'm not upset about anything, it's not even a stress buster, it's just to focus my mind. The marks do fade, you can only see if you look closely and I'm not causing any permanent damage. I know I could stop if I wanted to, but I don't really see what harm it's doing.

Do you think it's really that bad? Should I stop?
    Of course it's REALLY bad. You obviously can't see the problem by yourself.
    And I'm sorry for being rude, I feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    Your an idiot. If you cant revise without self harming your doing it wrong.
    Get out of my megahertz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Your an idiot. If you cant revise without self harming your doing it wrong.
    Get out of my megahertz.
    *You're

OP:
    If you're not trolling...
    ...this seems to be habitual. In which case I'd start trying to change the association. It's almost ritualistic. Add another element to it. Then start to take away the self harming element perhaps.

On the other hand if there's an ulterior motive you may wish to explore this.
    I'm guessing it's related to some form of self punishment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same sometimes...
    But really, try to stop.

It is bad and is definately not a healthy way of coping but you probably knew that already before posting. As you say, you started off pinching and banging your hand on the table and then as time went on your self harm progressively got worse. It will continue to get worse if you don't stop now- self harm is addictive, and an incredibly unhealthy way to cope with things. You say its not a problem now but if you don't stop while you can you will end up getting sucked into the cycle of harming yourself. Soon, just light self harming won't be enough and you will end up going deeper and seriously injuring yourself. Don't make excuses for self harming and stop whlie you still can- speak to a counsellor or doctor maybe?

But how do I stop? And how else am I going to work - I literally have no other way of studying, I'll fail everything.

ReputationRep:
    Do you conceal it from people? If you do then whether you think you have a problem or not, you have a problem.

I used to self harm harm but not as long as you have and it took me months to stop. What you need is a trusted friend who you can go to and talk to about this and with them think up a way to help you stop, this is how I did it.

Here's a website I was pointed to but never looked at to hard http://www.thesite.org/healthandwell...ealth/selfharm

Thanks for the link.

ReputationRep:
    it is bad and you should definitely try to stop, yes.

however, it's not weird or sick and i think you'll find it's surprisingly common - anyone who says otherwise is pretty ignorant imo. not everyone who self-harms does so because they're troubled or depressed; it's essentially a coping mechanism. whether it's used to cope with something traumatic or just to cope with academic stress/to help you concentrate is pretty irrelevant. the fact is, it's not healthy or good for you and you should really try your hardest to stop because it could potentially progress into something more serious if you let it.

have you been honest with your boyfriend about it? i think that's your best bet. i wouldn't 'seek help' if you honestly feel that it's only a coping mechanism and something that you can control, but i would see someone if you find you can't stop by yourself. there's a lot of useful stuff on the internet about stopping/alternative methods, so perhaps give that a try first. good luck, and feel free to PM if you need anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But how do I stop? And how else am I going to work - I literally have no other way of studying, I'll fail everything.

Then fail. You must be pretty stupid if thats your only study method. Go to your doctors if you have a problem concentrating. What are you going to do when you get a full time job? Cut yourself through the day so that you concentrate? I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for this, most people (I should say everyone but you) cut themselves because they are coping with traumatic situations and would give anything to be able to stop. You need to grow up and drink a can of red bull like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're studying scar formation, you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    It's a coping strategy that has become a habit. It's an incredibly difficult habit to break, and unless you are 100% dedicated to trying to get rid of it, it won't work. For instance, when I was trying to give it up, I found that my feelings got displaced into other coping strategies (eg. eating) so that I hadn't eliminated the feelings behind the behaviour, just the behaviour itself. It really depends as to why you're doing it really. I've never heard of anyone doing it for concentration, but I can relate in a sense. I used to cut to focus my mind away from all the other crap that was going on; maybe it's the case for you? If I was able to distract myself from everything and just have the pain there it was helpful and kept me functioning. I saw it as the same as people having to have a cup of coffee to get themselves going... I was literally useless until I'd focussed my mind away from everything else.

Having said that though, it's not a good behaviour to have to rely on. I'm sure you realise from the way the self harming has increased that you start to require more pain to fulfil the need and at some point it will get dangerous. Before you start cutting too deeply or trying to hit a vein, you need to seek help for it. It sounds weird because to be honest I didn't see it as a problem, I saw it as just a way of managing to exist, but at the end of the day, you have to accept that your behaviour's not normal and it needs to be nipped in the bud whilst you are still in control to some extent. I'd recommend trying to find some kind of CBT or therapy to see if you can work out why you need to do it. It's all very well giving it up and displacing it with something else (exercise, eating, smoking etc.) but all that really does is change the behaviour, and then you're in the wonderful position of everything coming back and having to deal with several newly-acquired behaviours at once (trust me on this, it's not fun and even more difficult to get out of).

I know of a self-harming support community that I was a member of for some time, but it's very centred around those with mental illnesses and I found that whilst there were people who understood what I was going through, a lot of what they posted triggered me and I subconsciously felt I had to compete, and a lot of the posts on there dragged my mood down even more. But if you feel as though it would help, let me know and I'll give you the address.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    You said in your OP you could stop if you wanted to, and then later asked 'How do I stop?'

Please seek help OP there are better ways of aiding concentration and study than by physically harming yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.