Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Keeping fit whilst a bit injured. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, Looking for some advice on keeping fit whilst slightly injured here.
    I usually run 3-4km 3 or 4 times a week and cycle around during the day, add in some climbing and some casual team or outdoor sports stuff each week and I'm doing pretty okay.
    However it's been really icy recently so running hasn't been that safe plus I did some minor quads injury a few days ago.
    My question is- any tips on keeping things up whilst stuck indoors? I don't have gym membership so I'm basically stuck doing what I can at home or whatever.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How are you injured?

ReputationRep:
    So u have a minor quads injury?
    Well work your upper body in intervals at home - different kinds of pressups - wide, normal and tricep ones 12-15 reps, 3 sets of each with 1 min rest between sets...
    Work on your core, by doing plank for 1 min, 30 seconds rest, 1 min etc...
    These elevate your heart rate in the same way that running does, but when your legs are affected there aren't any pure aerobic exercises that you can do really - maybe a crosstrainer...
    But I've maintained a decent level of fitness in the past 4 months whilst I have been out with a broken leg - obviously my fitness has dropped, but less so than it would have with me just sitting around...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    How are you injured?
    Nothing too exciting I'm afraid...grade 2ish muscle strain. Just more annoying than anything else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo2305)
    Nothing too exciting I'm afraid...grade 2ish muscle strain. Just more annoying than anything else!
    Hmm not sure if I can be any help, but I'm currently recovering from knee surgery and the most I can do is Pilates - it can be quite 'sweaty' work if you're doing it right and focuses on the core rather than limb strength, could be an option for you? xx

ReputationRep:
    Can you swim? When I had hamstring tendonitis over the summer I swam quite a bit to try and maintain fitness, concentrating mainly on a strong arm stroke and really only using my legs for balance in the water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo2305)
    So, Looking for some advice on keeping fit whilst slightly injured here.
    I usually run 3-4km 3 or 4 times a week and cycle around during the day, add in some climbing and some casual team or outdoor sports stuff each week and I'm doing pretty okay.
    However it's been really icy recently so running hasn't been that safe plus I did some minor quads injury a few days ago.
    My question is- any tips on keeping things up whilst stuck indoors? I don't have gym membership so I'm basically stuck doing what I can at home or whatever.
    Thanks!
    honestly it hurts(mentally that your not working out) as with me last week I decided to rest for 5 days with a minor injury and now im bak at it training hard.. i would have suggested you take a rest.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.