Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 6A*, 3A and 1B.

My mocks were a pretty awful experience to be honest - I found the 'real thing' much better for some reason. Grade wise, I remember that I got a U in my German mock and a C in my Graphics exam [they went up to a B and an A* respectively in the actual exams.]

I went onto to study English, History, Religious Studies, General Studies and Business Studies at sixth form [getting AAAAa overall].

ReputationRep:
    1 A*
    7 A's
    4 B's
    2 C's

When I compare them to everyone else on TSR I think i'm retarded..

I'm now doing maths, further maths, economics and physics at AS level

ReputationRep:
    10 A*

ReputationRep:
    1 A*
    10 As
    2 Bs

ReputationRep:
    B in English, that's all :p:

ReputationRep:
    A A A B B B B B B B B
    With no revision :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkz-x)
    in my mock exams i did absolutely awful so i was quite happy with my grades:

B,B,B,C,C,C,C,C,D,D

what did you get, was you happy or dissapointed with your results? and if you going to sixth form what As/A levels are you thinking about taking?

i took performing arts and media studies.
    that's what tsr sigs and profiles are for :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Im bengali lol, module 1 record 5-7 minute tape right?...on your life?....yep i got 56/56 raw marks nd 45/45 UMS....LOL....im soo proud, i memorised it so well and flew through it, my teacher moderated it with others and then confirmed my A*...and i had a lot of content!...Module 2 1 ims away from A, retake in May!

Examiners let me have my A*, never lowered it, i have 8 people in my class with most of them failing!
    Seems a lot of people at my school did badly in modern languages at gcse too. The teacher was good, but nobody bothered taking it seriously, and those that were smart didn't really bother, they only seemed to bother with sciences. I love science but still think some people would have done better if they'd revised.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone manage to get a G in GCSE? I got one, in Design & Technology. No one actually seems to think that a G exists. I'm actually quite proud of it. I literally went to the exam, wrote my name on the paper and sat there for the rest of the exam. The rest wern't great either, I got AABBCC, although I did get AABC for AS.

ReputationRep:
    6 A's
    4 B's and a C - pissed off to be quite honest, not at the time my mock graced were D's and a few U's but, now - everyone else I meet is some kind of rainman - or woman, **** smart to put it bluntly.

ReputationRep:
    If you are telling the truth, then it makes you sound retarded...NO REVISION and average A/B...imagine what they'd be WITH REVISION!....LOL
    I've found myself saying exactly the same thing after every exam I've sat, coursework I've handed in. Never can I find the motivation to do any more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Really, how the hell did you manage that in French. I'm at an A grade at the moment, can you suggest anything I should do to get to an A* standard.
    Well I was doing AQA French, so we had four sections - Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. I don't know if it's the same for other boards, but it probably is.

For the listening and reading, I'd say the main thing is to know as much vocabulary as possible. You don't want to hear/read a word and not know what it means, because it could be crucial to getting the answer. So I'd suggest sitting down, and memorising lists of vocabulary.

For the writing, it helps to have a big vocabulary of course, but you need to be familiar with the grammatical structures. The main thing here is to show off as much as you can. Use every tense you can think of etc.

And for the speaking - I can't quite remember what the format was, but it's somewhat like the writing and the listening. I had to prepare, write out and memorise an answer to a question about my holidays or something, and then the teacher asked me a few questions in French, which I had to reply to. Knowing lots of vocabulary made sure I could understand what she said, and knowing the grammatical structues made sure that I could reply in comprehensible French.

Basically, memorise lots of words related to whatever topics you've been studying, and memorise the grammatical structures of verb tenses, adjectival genders etc. and it should be fine really. But I think it's best to put in a lot of effort into doing this all throughout the year while you're learning, rather than hurriedly revising for the exam. A language isn't something you really revise for, but something you make yourself semi-fluent in while learning it.

I don't know if it made any difference that I was bilingual (English and Hindi) before taking the exams. I've heard that people who are bilingual from a young age are sometimes better at picking up new languages?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its to do with the students not taking it seriously, but i dont know the answer to why they are failing...maybe they dont try as hard but they care about it. Yh i like most subjects!....SCIENCE!!!!..EXCEPT PHYSICS!....YUK!
    Pupils in my class openly admitted to finding french "a joke". I guess it's harder to revise for though. I nearly took physics for a level, but thought it would be too much science even for my liking. :p:

EDIT: Your AS subjects are looking good. You'll be taking what I should have taken. Went for french instead of english lit... should have taken it but oh well. Hang on you're taking 16 gcses? Whoah I don't know anyone who took more than 13. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Probably gonna get: Maths (A) - Science (A) - IT (A) - English (BB) Will only have these because I'm doing them in one year only.. how good are they? Can possibly get A*s in maths, science and IT, can MAYBE scrape an A at English but I'm not counting on it..

ReputationRep:
    What a depressing thread.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a Native Speaker?
    Nope, not a native speaker, just a fairly good memory for vocabulary/verb conjugations - concentrating in lessons all year round rather than hurriedly revising before the exams etc.
    Your French doesn't need to be especially good to do well in the exams - just try to avoid anything which they could take marks off for!

ReputationRep:
    only finished mocks last week, so far i've got A* in chemistry, biology, maths, add maths, history and spanish. still waiting on results for physics, english language, english lit and core re

ReputationRep:
    LOL.....HATE MATHS AND PHYSICS...BUT DO NOT want to limit my chances of getting into oxbridge!.....french was my reserve choice a long with history or pyschology!
    Ah another prospective medic... :rolleyes:
    Just kidding. I'm one too. :p:
    I've heard history isn't too taxing (from friends who are taking the subject - one is a prospective medic too). No offence to those who have taken it though. Seems like an interesting subject. I got the highest mark in the year for eng lit in a year of 225 of us and I never though I was that good in it compared to other subjects. I do kinda miss writing essays and have considered taking it for AS next year but don't want it to ruin my chances in my other subjects as A2s are important...
    Oh well I shall stop waffling. :o:

ReputationRep:
    God let me remember..... A* A A A A A B B B B C C

Ah back in the good old days when A*s meant more....

ReputationRep:
    I've achieved A*A* and am looking at A*A*A*A*A*AAAB in the rest. =)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.